Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoonRadar

Nov 24, 2015

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

We want to let you know that we are making a change to your Target Prepaid REDcard® by American Express, and you will no longer be able to add money from your debit card at Target stores. As always, you can continue to add money to your Prepaid REDcard by using:

• Your debit card online through your Account
• Cash at a Target Store
• Direct Deposit (You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your Prepaid REDcard)

DEAD FOR DEBIT CARD LOADS EFFECTIVE 10/12/2015 - MEMO: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...uests-can-use/

DEAD FOR CREDIT CARD LOADS. (Amex GCs Included)

Effective May 6, 2015 registers are hard-coded to not allow credit card reload. PIN-based debit cards are working, however YMMV. PIN-based debit cards may be refused by cashiers.

WHAT IS TARGET PREPAID REDCARD?
Prepaid Redcard is a reloadable American Express card. It is only available to purchase at select Target stores.

This site may error when in Firefox, especially with adding payees / bill pay. Customer service says to use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
    https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

PREPAID REDCARD LOAD LIMITS
    Cash (or debit card) loading at Target: ** - $1,000/transaction, $2,500/day and $5,000/month
    Online Debit Card Load * - $200/day and $1,000/month
    Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
    Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
    ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

All "Monthly" limits are per calendar month and reset on the 1st of each month.
    Daily limits reset at midnight Eastern time, 9 PM Pacific time.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt.

ATM Withdrawals:
    No-fee ATM usage at US Target stores* and U.S. Allpoint network ATMs. (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs.) Find an Allpoint ATM at: www.allpointnetwork.com Note that some ATMs only allow $400/transaction. There is a $750/day and $2,000/month limit to ATM withdrawals.

RedCard is only available in specific Target stores and is not available in all states. Go to this site to find a list of available locations:https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q: Can I reload a RB at a Target that doesn't sell RB?
    Yes. However, the cashier may not know how to do it. You may be able to coach them through it by saying "It's like reloading a Starbucks (or Gift) card". For step-by-step instructions on one method of 'coaching' new cashiers see Post#1904

Q: Can I buy or reload a RB in North Carolina?
    See post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-63.html#2520
    There is currently a software issue preventing any reload of any kind in NC. It is a known issue but there is no ETA on a fix.

Q: Can I reload the RB at any register, or just at the Customer Service desk?
    It can be done at any register, however some cashiers are not trained on how to do this and you may have to go to Customer Service.

Q: What is the most efficient way to drain a RedCard?
    Use BillPay to pay bills. For example, pay the credit card you used to load RedCard with. You can also withdraw money at ATMs.

Q: I cant access the BillPay feature through the RB website!
    Verify that your account information correctly reflects a 10-digit phone number (including area code). Numerous people have reported that their account only had a 7-digit phone number (no area code) and that, after updating to a 10-digit phone number, BillPay miraculously started working.

Q: Can we buy a temporary Redbird card while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    Yes.

Q: How many Redbird cards can you purchase at once?
    You can only purchase one Redbird card a day per SSN. If you plan to purchase more than one, be sure to use a different SSN for each purchase to avoid activation issues.

Q: Can we register our temporary Redbird online while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    No. You will have to cancel your Bluebird or Serve account first before registering.

Q: How do I cancel my BlueBird or Serve Account online? Do I need to call them?
    Frequent Miler posted a useful trick that will help you cancel online How to cancel Bluebird online This works for both BlueBird and Serve.

Q: Cancelled Bluebird, why does registering Redbird error out saying Bluebird is still active?
    If you have open transactions that have not been settled, like BillPay checks that have not yet been cashed, the account cannot settle and will not be truly closed. Thus Target will reject it until it's permanently closed.

Q: Can we get Redbird online?
    No. The only way to get Redbird is to find a participating Target store and buy a temporary card there. Some people have purchased RB on Ebay, Amazon, or through private deals. Be aware that doing so may violate the TOS of one or more of these services. Also be aware that buying an un-activated RB, you are potentially buying "stolen" merchandise; the seller *may* have simply taken the un-activated RB cards from a target store without permission. At best they got permission from a low-level employee; they certainly are not getting permission from someone authorized to allow sale of RB outside of the current Target-authorized roll out markets. It is highly recommended to only buy already activated Redbirds because many Targets which do not offer Redbirds also will not be able to activate them and you will spend a month with the Customer Service line trying to get a new one.

Q: Does the initial load you put in when purchasing the Redbird count against the monthly limit?
    No. After registering the Redbird online, any loads done will count against your monthly limit, even on your temp card.

Q: Can we load Redbird with Target gift cards at Target?NO.
    When loading, the register displays a large message saying that gift cards cannot be used to pay for this transaction.

Q: What are the card’s load limits per transaction at Target?
    [B]As of 2/2/2015 there is a maximum $1,000 load per transaction. You can no longer load the same RB multiple times (multiple swipes) in 1 transaction. Likewise, you can no longer load multiple RBs (say your's and your spouse's) in 1 transaction. Maximum of 1 load, for $1,000 per debit card payment. End of story.

Q: What credit cards can I use to reload RedCard in Target stores?
    NONE. As of May 6, 2015, credit cards cannot be used to reload.

Q: Can I reload with a debit card?
    Yes, but only if the debit card can be authenticated with PIN-number. Signature-based debit that processes on the Visa/MasterCard/AmEx networks will NOT work.

Q: Can I reload with a prepaid debit card or Vanilla Visa?
    Yes, but only if you have a PIN for that card.

Q: How can I load 2 debit cards in one transaction? Example 2x$500.
    1. Swipe debit card on my terminal after total comes up $1000.
    2. PIN pad comes up. Enter 4 digit PIN.
    3. Do you want cash back? press NO
    4. Do you want full amount on this card? press NO <<<Note: I pressed YES and did not have a step 5. - PHLisa
    5. Cashier reads something on register, asks how much on this card. $500. They push something to continue.
    6. Swipe card #2. Enter PIN
    7. Repeat 3 to 5. Total: 0.00
    8. Receipt prints. Thank cashier. The end.
    (thanks to Mamibear)

Q: Can someone else buy a Redbird card for you?
    Yes. When you buy a temp Redbird card at Target, you have to give them your drivers license info, your SSN (can be any set of numbers, does not need to be real), birthdate, and more. Then, you have to register the card online in order to get a permanent card. In the process of registering online, they ask for the birthday of the original buyer on the first screen, but you can put your own and it will still work. Either way, you can still change the details on the following screens. I did this for my wife. I bought the card at Target and used my own driver’s license, SSN, etc. But, when I got home, I registered the card to my wife. I can’t promise this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Q: Can you reload Serve/Bluebird at Target?
    No.

Q: How do I contact Target's support team to resolve an issue with my RedCard?
    Call Target's Prepaid Resolution Team, their direct telephone number is 800 438 6468 (open from 8AM to 430PM MST).

Q: Can you have both Redbird and AFT cards?
    Yes.
    You can have both Redbird and AFT since they are independent products.

Q: I got a "Pending" notice that the registration is being reviewed, what now?
    Add [email protected] to your address book, and check your spam folder for an email about it. You can also call in. They will need images or faxes of:
    • Social Security Documentation (must clearly show full 9 digit Social Security Number). Choose 1 of the following options:
    ◦ Social Security Card, OR
    ◦ A Medicare insurance card
    Plus...
    • Picture ID
    ◦ A valid driver's license card OR
    ◦ A valid state issued ID OR
    ◦ A valid United States Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
    ◦ A valid United States Passport (photo page only)

Secure Document Upload
    Here's the link to upload secure documents to REDcard: https://secure.prepaidredcard.com/User/SecureFileUpload
    Print Wikipost

Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016

Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by shadow520
    While certainly not a ton, I've spent over $1300 since Feb at Target that I wouldn't have spent there at all prior to RB. Whether it was a gallon of milk we needed while doing a reload or hundreds on baby supplies, this was all spending that would not have gone there without the RB. Maybe I'll continue to shop there, but most likely I won't. So that is sales they gained and will lose again with this news.
    But how much MS were you doing, especially in the credit card period? If it was at all significant, it would wipe out the profit on your $1,300
    Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:49 am

Very sad news. I started shopping a lot more at Target due to RB and enjoyed the experience compared to Walmart.Good times...
    Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
    Originally Posted by cheaptimesharetraveler
    Really? Some people who were loading Redbird were spending money at Target they wouldn't ordinarily spend. Foot traffic is important.

It was good for Target, and considering how many stores across the country, one has to assume the MS per store by people on Flyertalk was pretty minimal.

I am sure Target made money on people shopping there but what is the amount of profit compared to the fees they had to pay? I have no idea if they lost money or made money but I am sure they are still pissed on the whole prepaid card thing. Amex had to show them data from WM but that is a whole different social economic demographic and I willing to bet the vast majority of people that used the RB was for MS purposes. Target and prepaid cards just didn't fit together like WM and prepaid cards (WM crowd, gotta love them).
    Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by cheaptimesharetraveler
    Some people who were loading Redbird were spending money at Target they wouldn't ordinarily spend. Foot traffic is important.
    I bought a Fitbit there that was 10% off plus the 5% off from RB. I normally would not have considered them on an electronics product purchase.
    Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: All of them
    Originally Posted by kenme1
    I am sure Target made money on people shopping there but what is the amount of profit compared to the fees they had to pay? I have no idea if they lost money or made money but I am sure they are still pissed on the whole prepaid card thing. Amex had to show them data from WM but that is a whole different social economic demographic and I willing to bet the vast majority of people that used the RB was for MS purposes. Target and prepaid cards just didn't fit together like WM and prepaid cards (WM crowd, gotta love them).
    Just proof of how many idiots make it to the top in corporate. Target is trying hard to be "budget upscale" catering to upper-lower-middle-class crowd. Not only are their prices not rock bottom, hey don't even have money centers for paycheck cashing, sending money or MOs. Why would the underbanked even set foot in a Target?
    Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:28 am

Need a little help, will pay you $0.04 (lol)

Could anyone let me send $0.04 to their REDcard so I can close it out. Please PM and thanks!
    Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by s3riously
    Could anyone let me send $0.04 to their REDcard so I can close it out. Please PM and thanks!
    Just create a new Bill Pay (BP). Send it to yourself, or Uncle Sam!
    Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:36 am

Why do you need $.04?
    Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by memphian901
    Thanks!

I did receive a PM offer from minamhere but forgot I had already sent $2500 to another REDcard this month.
    Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
    Originally Posted by memphian901
    Check must be for $1 to send. You can withdraw the funds to your bank account for any amount though.
    Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:46 am

is anyone else having trouble logging in? initially i was able to login, but my pin failed for bill pay--now I cannot even log in (says wrong password)? Trying to unload my funds via bill pay now that this is dead
    Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:47 am

Thanks!

I did receive a PM offer from minamhere but forgot I had already sent $2500 to another REDcard this month.
    Billpay is also a fail as it requires $1 or more. I've already done $5K cash loads for the month and since it's my GF's REDcard I never linked a bank account or true debit card.

Kudos to minamhere. I will apply the $0.04 to a Target purchase later today. Viola!

Last edited by s3riously; Oct 14, 2015 at 9:52 am
    Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:32 am

Changing from Red to Blue

Just closed the RB accounts for myself and DW. They asked for a reason why, and I told them "loss of ability to load with debit cards".

It's quick and easy to change over to BB. Just log in to your RB account, and click on settings, then profile, and at the bottom is a place to click cancel. Did that and it didn't work the first time, as somehow the final cancel didn't take. You will see a large un-happy face with a tear drop when it is done. Went back and redid that, saw the unhappy face, then reregistered for BB with no problems.

When I tried to do the same thing for myself, BB refused to register, even though the RB account was closed, due to "phone number already registered". So I changed the last number and it went thru just fine. I don't know if that is a real in service number, but it worked, and I doubt they are going to call it anyway. Message says 7 to 10 business days to get our cards. Hope the deluge of apps doesn't slow that down, as that would be just in time to do our October BB loads.
    Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:43 am

I had the same problem with the phone number BUT I changed it from mobile number to home number leaving the number the same and it worked.

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
    Just closed the RB accounts for myself and DW. They asked for a reason why, and I told them "loss of ability to load with debit cards".

It's quick and easy to change over to BB. Just log in to your RB account, and click on settings, then profile, and at the bottom is a place to click cancel. Did that and it didn't work the first time, as somehow the final cancel didn't take. You will see a large un-happy face with a tear drop when it is done. Went back and redid that, saw the unhappy face, then reregistered for BB with no problems.

When I tried to do the same thing for myself, BB refused to register, even though the RB account was closed, due to "phone number already registered". So I changed the last number and it went thru just fine. I don't know if that is a real in service number, but it worked, and I doubt they are going to call it anyway. Message says 7 to 10 business days to get our cards. Hope the deluge of apps doesn't slow that down, as that would be just in time to do our October BB loads.
    Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by felixbball
    is anyone else having trouble logging in? initially i was able to login, but my pin failed for bill pay--now I cannot even log in (says wrong password)? Trying to unload my funds via bill pay now that this is dead
    I had no problems moving money and closing out my account. I went to do my wife's and ran into PIN issues. I still can't use the known PIN or reset the PIN. I am able to log in still...what's going on?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.