Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:11 pm

I just want to say thank you to Walmart. Because of this crap I've found two other ways to churn - without Walmart. My life just got a little easier.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:39 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by thorax
I just want to say thank you to Walmart. Because of this crap I've found two other ways to churn - without Walmart. My life just got a little easier.
yeah and what did you find?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got the first mention of a restriction at my WM.

The MO printer has been down since the weekend, waiting for a replacement, and since I had a string of AmEx GCs come in, I ended up with a lot of VGCs. I went to WM intending to do at least $4K of MOs, but the clerk at the MC was the worst one possible - this tall middle-aged white woman who never smiles and who won't do anything on her keypad until you've completely finished keying everything in. This makes the process take almost twice as long, so the last two times with her I limited myself even though I had a lot of cards then, too.

I did the first $2K without incident and then told her I have another set of 4 cards. She did $4K the last time she was there, so I thought it would be fine, but she told me this time that I'd have to fill out some paper work for anything above $3K. I told her I'd come back tomorrow, then, and went to the side to fill out the MOs.

I've done $6K several times with other clerks, so I was pretty disappointed. Now the question is whether the staff has been recently instructed on this or if it's just her. I'll go there tomorrow morning and if I get one of the good clerks I'll soon know.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Just went to my normal WM to load two BBs. I usually go to a register first for one and then the MC for the other.

For the first time ever I was asked to show an ID that he used to match up with the BB. Luckily I had used the one with my name on it. Then when I told him I wanted to pay with debit he asked me to give it to him to swipe. I said "I normally swipe it on the terminal right here" and he said he needs to match it to my ID. I didn't push it any further. I let him pull the $1000 from my real checking and left the store.

Not a good sign... I'm going to go back tomorrow and try again and see what happens...
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:51 pm

The Kate at my local store let me reload my Serve w/ OV and processed it normally...automatically prompted me for my PIN after I swiped the OV and didn't revert to credit.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87
today I happened to see a lotta variable GCs up to $500 at WM for a lower fee
It's Graduation time
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
but the clerk at the MC was the worst one possible - this tall middle-aged white woman who never smiles and who won't do anything on her keypad until you've completely finished keying everything in
These days, that is better than the clerks who jump the gun, cause Beeps, and blame the customer
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:40 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
It's Graduation time
no kidding.

I tried buying em, one unsure kid said they couldnt -- only cash or debit. I asked him if he could atleast try. he said lemme go ask someone, brought a middle aged lady over and she said the same thing. didnt even try, so dunno if it is blocked by the register or just need to find a willing clerk at this or at another WM.

so if anyone has experience, let us know.

it sucks that the Murphy's outside doesnt have any usable stuff, they do allow purchases with CC. but the only GCs are small denom and no reload cards/packs in stock.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
It's Graduation time
Are you suggesting that one can feed the birds with seeds bought with cc right there in-house?

no kidding.

I tried buying em, one unsure kid said they couldnt -- only cash or debit. I asked him if he could atleast try. he said lemme go ask someone, brought a middle aged lady over and she said the same thing. didnt even try, so dunno if it is blocked by the register or just need to find a willing clerk at this or at another WM.

so if anyone has experience, let us know.

it sucks that the Murphy's outside doesnt have any usable stuff, they do allow purchases with CC. but the only GCs are small denom and no reload cards/packs in stock.
Or perhaps not?

Last edited by kiltedflyer; Jun 4, 2014 at 7:48 pm
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:58 pm

yeah and what did you find?
I have been looking around too.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by payeco
Just went to my normal WM to load two BBs. I usually go to a register first for one and then the MC for the other.

For the first time ever I was asked to show an ID that he used to match up with the BB. Luckily I had used the one with my name on it. Then when I told him I wanted to pay with debit he asked me to give it to him to swipe. I said "I normally swipe it on the terminal right here" and he said he needs to match it to my ID. I didn't push it any further. I let him pull the $1000 from my real checking and left the store.

Not a good sign... I'm going to go back tomorrow and try again and see what happens...
I had a money center guy ask to see my debit about 6 weeks ago. Since then, nothing--at 3 different WM--just swipe and go.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:34 pm

It's Graduation time
Originally Posted by kiltedflyer
Are you suggesting that one can feed the birds with seeds bought with cc right there in-house ?
No, that it what the cardboard kiosk holding all of these gift cards says.

It might be possible, but do not jeopardize existing cordial relationships.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:44 pm

I had heck trying to load BB with some $200 visa GC from OD tonight. I kept getting "debit not available" at both the MC and Kate! Kate would say "card not accepted." These GC are from Bancorp and do not require a registration or pin to be set - use last 4. I called to verify a couple of the cards and they were registered. After calling, the MC line was forever long, so I jumped in line at the express check out and things went through just fine. Things went smoothly last night when I loaded them. Perhaps I just got in with a random hiccup in the BB network?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by ZzzzX
I had a money center guy ask to see my debit about 6 weeks ago. Since then, nothing--at 3 different WM--just swipe and go.
But did he also ask to see your ID to match to your BB? I wouldn't have been worried if it was just asking to see the debit. He asked for the ID before he even knew what I was paying with. He actually thought I was going to pay cash. He said "is this going to be all cash?"

I guess we'll see how tomorrow goes. Hopefully the MC lady is working that seems to like me is there. She's a sweet older black lady that always calls me "honey" and "sugar" haha. I don't even have to tell her $500 per swipe anymore.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
No, that it what the cardboard kiosk holding all of these gift cards says.
Thought it sounded too good to be true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.