Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
Agh. That is not good.

Data Point on the workaround.

I wondered if the OV or VGC could be run as a CC and ran a test tonight. The answer is definitely "no." But I really paid attention to the process and I think I have an answer for those who have had trouble with the new color system.

I ran one OV with the workaround and it went just fine.

But-on the second card, I let it ride to signature: if you miss the "change payment" button on the screen the first time, it locks up the system completely. I did not see the message on my end but the cashier was confused because she kept getting a "unauthorized tender" message. We tried about 5 times to get back to the beginning and it would not go there, even when she tried to cancel the whole thing. On the extra attempts, I saw the change payment button appear but the software was locked to CC and that screen went by like lightening. If you blinked, you'd miss it. In other words, it was in a loop. Finally, the supervisor came over and had to override the entire transaction and cancel it with a a system override (her key). I just left them confused and said thanks, I'll be back tomorrow to add the funds.

For those who have had a lot of trouble getting the override to work (on the color screens), I think if you don't hit change tender as soon as it appears and you get the signature panel, you may be stuck. On the other hand, if you accidentally hit "cancel" instead of "change payment" (they appear on the same screen), no harm. You just need to start over but you aren't in that nasty loop.
You don't need to hit the soft cancel or change payment buttons on the screen. The hard buttons (red Cancel or yellow Change Payment) on the card reader should work as well.

Also I brain farted this morning when loading my Serve card when I didn't realize that the card reader was the color screen version instead of the black and green screen version since most of the WMs around me use the black and green screen so I was used to hitting Cancel. So when I swiped my OV and tried to hit Cancel it went to signature and the cashier told me it got denied. I told her that I hit the wrong button and I was able to swipe again and made sure to hit Change Payment this time. Didn't need to wait for a manager to do a system override to allow me to reslide my OV. Maybe the cashier you had was not trained to do that.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
You don't need to hit the soft cancel or change payment buttons on the screen. The hard buttons (red Cancel or yellow Change Payment) on the card reader should work as well.

Also I brain farted this morning when loading my Serve card when I didn't realize that the card reader was the color screen version instead of the black and green screen version since most of the WMs around me use the black and green screen so I was used to hitting Cancel. So when I swiped my OV and tried to hit Cancel it went to signature and the cashier told me it got denied. I told her that I hit the wrong button and I was able to swipe again and made sure to hit Change Payment this time. Didn't need to wait for a manager to do a system override to allow me to reslide my OV. Maybe the cashier you had was not trained to do that.
Tha could be. But she's done loads for me before and the first OV went through fine. I think that's the part that got her. She kept trying to force it. Maybe that's how the system got locked up.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:54 pm

Just arrived from another failed MO run at Walmart. Yesterday I didn't know about the issues with OV's. Today, I was confident the workaround would work. We have the OLD system over here.

But doing the workaround explained at the top didn't work. I told the cashier to wait for me to swipe my card to hit DEBIT. I hit CANCEL, ATM/Debit, No CashBack. I then told her to select DEBIT on her screen, and to deduct $500 (I was doing a split payment). It didn't work. I tried then to put my PIN first, and then have her hit DEBIT. No go either.

Then, I wanted to simplify and instead of doing the 4 MO purchase, which require split payments, to just buy one. But the MoneyGram system apparently went down (it was past closing time).

She showed me a paper printout of the error that was shown when I tried my OV debit cards. It reads:

ST# XXXX OP# XXXXXXXX TE# XX TR# XXXXX
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE APPR. CODE = 51

I'm guessing the first line are numbers of identifying the store, operator, terminal, etc. What does CODE 51 error means?

EDIT: Based on the information on this website:

http://nexion.co.za/transaction-decline-codes.html

Error CODE 51 means not sufficient funds. My guess is that the CSR didn't make the split payment correctly, and was probably charging the whole amount to a single OV card. If I just buy one MO, it will probably not give an error CODE 51.

I can make 4 different MO transactions, but that would be more time consuming. Anyone know what does the CRS has to do to make the split payments right?

Last edited by andres17; Jun 3, 2014 at 9:13 pm
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler287638
The ones I went to today have no barriers or wall. They stand almost right next to you. Here in the DFW they are beginning to implement a no OV policy.
A wall would be nice.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Just returned from a WM and the process did not work. I was the last in line, they closed at 8pm and I squeezed in at 7:59. I got to the desk at 8:20 due to the 11 people doing money trans. I asked to do 2 MOs, 1k each and I would swipe 2 DEBIT cards(I have 4 OVs). We start and I swipe 1 card and she realized that she did not split the payment amounts. The clerk must not have understood me clearly and punched in $1k for the 1st card which resulted in extra work for her to clear and re enter the amount, then the CC screen comes up when I swipe 1 card, her co-worker asked to see my card and I 'panic' and show her the OV instead of my debit card I was holding to <ninja> but wasn't ready. The co-worker explained that the system would not take OV anymore. I thanked them and left.

I suspect they were just done for the day and didn't want to deal with this. I'll go back another day, and do smaller amounts with 1 OV per MO. It'll be less confusing(?)
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:00 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 30, 2014 at 12:26 am
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:18 pm

51 is the generic rejection. Either because the process wasn't followed correctly and the system is saying no or you have no funds on the card. I can tell when a new Walmart employee does one of my transactions because there will be several 51s on the receipt.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by MsArbi
^ I am just lost for words...
I understand the n00bs trying these things out of desperation. What I don't get is some of the other members jumping in. I guess they are desperate also.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:38 pm

I bought 2 MO's with OV ($1K total) from a Publix (grocery store) today. They cost me about a $1 more than in a WM, and it was so totally worth it!!! The whole process was pleasant, clean, and efficient. The MO's themselves were clearly and legibly printed. I deposited them into a bank's automated ATM, and they were immediately recognized and scanned without a hitch.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by andres17
If you are absolutely certain that your card has sufficient funds, the cashier likely screwed up
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by cajunguy
Just returned from a WM and the process did not work
So you are saying that when your cashier does not correctly do the process, the process will not work ?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I bought 2 MO's with OV ($1K total) from a Publix (grocery store) today. They cost me about a $1 more than in a WM, and it was so totally worth it!!! The whole process was pleasant, clean, and efficient. The MO's themselves were clearly and legibly printed. I deposited them into a bank's automated ATM, and they were immediately recognized and scanned without a hitch.
Are they Western Union or just generic Money Orders? There are Publix stores all over the place here, but I don't see much mention of them. I may have to try that route to liquidate some OVs...
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by bmrisko
Are they Western Union or just generic Money Orders? There are Publix stores all over the place here, but I don't see much mention of them. I may have to try that route to liquidate some OVs...
Western Union.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:32 am

Just arrived from another failed MO run at Walmart. Yesterday I didn't know about the issues with OV's. Today, I was confident the workaround would work. We have the OLD system over here.

But doing the workaround explained at the top didn't work. I told the cashier to wait for me to swipe my card to hit DEBIT. I hit CANCEL, ATM/Debit, No CashBack. I then told her to select DEBIT on her screen, and to deduct $500 (I was doing a split payment). It didn't work. I tried then to put my PIN first, and then have her hit DEBIT. No go either.

Then, I wanted to simplify and instead of doing the 4 MO purchase, which require split payments, to just buy one. But the MoneyGram system apparently went down (it was past closing time).

She showed me a paper printout of the error that was shown when I tried my OV debit cards. It reads:

I'm guessing the first line are numbers of identifying the store, operator, terminal, etc. What does CODE 51 error means?

Error CODE 51 means not sufficient funds. My guess is that the CSR didn't make the split payment correctly, and was probably charging the whole amount to a single OV card. If I just buy one MO, it will probably not give an error CODE 51.

I can make 4 different MO transactions, but that would be more time consuming. Anyone know what does the CRS has to do to make the split payments right?
Ya, had the same issue-turned out the CSR was charging the whole amount on a single card.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:54 am

Split amount first, then debit, otherwise it will try to charge you the entire amount when the CSR hits debit because it hasn't been told otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.