Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: mvp75k, DL-0body
worked ...

Able to load 1k of OVC into BB at CS counter. They did ask me to fill out a form of : name/address/DL/ ... even occupation !!!

anyhow, seem like a big brother is looking at MS
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by silver4300
Swinging counter-clockwise doesn't work. Anyone tried swinging clockwise?
Clockwise works on the color screen. But only if you stand on one foot.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by ccna101
Able to load 1k of OVC into BB at CS counter. They did ask me to fill out a form of : name/address/DL/ ... even occupation !!!

I doubt it. Debit cards received more than 60 billion in loads in 2012. MS is small potatoes in that web of finance and would not be worth the time to track. This seems like a POS upgrade rolled out for new hardware that can handle emv cards. If you shop with a bank debit, you'll find the same difficulty choosing debit or credit in some stores. Nothing is standardized. And stores receive upgrades and new hardware as needed or necessary to run daily numbers and keep track of stock.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
I doubt it. Debit cards received more than 60 billion in loads in 2012. MS is small potatoes in that web of finance and would not be worth the time to track. This seems like a POS upgrade rolled out for new hardware that can handle emv cards. If you shop with a bank debit, you'll find the same difficulty choosing debit or credit in some stores. Nothing is standardized. And stores receive upgrades and new hardware as needed or necessary to run daily numbers and keep track of stock.
Not for me, I've had no problem with bank debit cards. They don't need the workaround. IME, only OVs have needed the workaround.

Last edited by silver4300; Jun 3, 2014 at 8:18 am
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ccna101

I don't know if I would continue going to that store. Did they ask to see the cards?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by FTRox87
interesting Q ZzzzX, prev the registers would spit out a 'tender not allowed' or 'alternative payment required,' or one of those messages while loading or buying MOs etc with CC... but now that it processes and goes to the sig screen, wonder what would happen.
WM would be more likely to get upset. They pay higher fees for CC swipes. That's why the GC-debit avenue was opened in the first place, from what I gather.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Chris92128
So are the Metabank VGCs running as normal where you don't have to do the work around?? I just acquired a handful of those and would like to know before hand if i have to be ready to do the work around.
We haven't had a confirmed report. We nominate you to be the guinea pig.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:08 am

So are the Metabank VGCs running as normal where you don't have to do the work around?? I just acquired a handful of those and would like to know before hand if i have to be ready to do the work around.
They work just fine.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericdabbs

It doesn't hurt to explore all options. I just wish now that the OVs and Vanilla VGCs allow you to set a PIN before hand like the Metabank VGCs.

I have loaded 1k five times using meta bank cards since June 1 all went straight to pin
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:20 am

I would appreciate if someone can answer the following questions.

1. Are Vanilla Visa gift cards also automatically recognized as credit? How about VGC from US Bank?

2. Does CVS sell VGCs other than Vanilla ones or OVs? I could not find any.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by adminds
I would appreciate if someone can answer the following questions.

1. Are Vanilla Visa gift cards also automatically recognized as credit? How about VGC from US Bank?

2. Does CVS sell VGCs other than Vanilla ones or OVs? I could not find any.
Don't worry about reading even a few pages of this thread little bird... yes, no, yes
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: mvp75k, DL-0body
No, I will feed them John Smith next time
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:12 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
WM would be more likely to get upset. They pay higher fees for CC swipes. That's why the GC-debit avenue was opened in the first place, from what I gather.
good. if it costs WM perhaps they will see to it that the issue gets fixed sooner rather than later. it's their fault certain debit cards are defaulting to CC -- as much as InComm/Bancorp would like it, we have no interest in running these as CC
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
No workaround needed IME on Metabank GC, Paypower, Univsion, NFCU GC. Used both monochrome and color terminals the last three days. I didn't have any USB's to test.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by ctbarron
No workaround needed IME on Metabank GC, Paypower, Univsion, NFCU GC. Used both monochrome and color terminals the last three days. I didn't have any USB's to test.
I think I know where to get MetaBank GCs, so I'm pleased to hear this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.