Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:57 am

Wait...why is the Wiki saying US Bank requires the workaround as well?? I first noticed that this issue applies to Vanilla Visa/OV cards yesterday morning and then came here to see if anybody else had a similar experience. Luckily I already knew the workaround thanks to MasterCards. But I was able to do USB just fine as normal.

I think we need to confirm extra reports, unless someone who's editing the wiki just wants to scare people off from this MS technique...
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Broncocsu05
Wait...why is the Wiki saying US Bank requires the workaround as well?? I first noticed that this issue applies to Vanilla Visa/OV cards yesterday morning and then came here to see if anybody else had a similar experience. Luckily I already knew the workaround thanks to MasterCards. But I was able to do USB just fine as normal.

I think we need to confirm extra reports, unless someone who's editing the wiki just wants to scare people off from this MS technique...

There are US Bank cards that I got which required the workaround too. THey were the ones which had the pin set to whatever you used on your first transaction. (I didn't edit the Wiki though)
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by spgbus
There are two Debit buttons on CSR screen. The green one will charge u whole amount even entering split amount. Kind remind her to use the blue one if this is the case.
Correct, thanks for adding. That used to be the only failure mode for the CSR (wrong debit button).
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by tsmith12
There are US Bank cards that I got which required the workaround too. THey were the ones which had the pin set to whatever you used on your first transaction. (I didn't edit the Wiki though)
interesting...where exactly did you get those ones? the ones i get from my local grocer always require me to call in to set pin. perhaps that's the difference...

4077 14XXXXXXX.....
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by spgbus
There are two Debit buttons on CSR screen. The green one will charge u whole amount even entering split amount. Kind remind her to use the blue one if this is the case.
this is GREAT info...but what about the CSR who gives you the funny look and asks how you know which one to press in the first place???
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by zozeppelin
Split amount first, then debit, otherwise it will try to charge you the entire amount when the CSR hits debit because it hasn't been told otherwise.
Just came back from Walmart. I was taken care by a new CRS (for me, I never go during the day). Just as I expected, when doing a single MO the transaction went through fine with the workaround. So I guess the night shift cashier was not doing the split payment correctly, or was hitting the green debit as opposed to the blue debit, and thus, charging the whole transaction on a single OV card.

Funny thing is that I asked her last night what color was the debit button she was pressing. She acted as if I was asking the password to her accounts. Said it was private info for MoneyGram, and couldn't tell me. She is just super difficult. I'll go tonight anyways, but judging by how easy the day CSR are, I will probably change shift
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Did you hit cancel on the screen or on the machine itself?
On the screen.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:16 am

interesting...where exactly did you get those ones? the ones i get from my local grocer always require me to call in to set pin. perhaps that's the difference...

4077 14XXXXXXX.....

I believe it was from CVS. I bought over 20 cards yesterday, so I'm not exactly sure and don't have the receipts with me right now.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I have to do more experimenting with the color screen card readers to see if you have to hit the "Change Payment" soft button but for the monochrome black and green screens card readers, I always just hit the red Cancel hard button with no problem and am able to change payment to Debit.
I'll do so as well. Thanks for reporting your findings.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:13 am

this is GREAT info...but what about the CSR who gives you the funny look and asks how you know which one to press in the first place???
The cashier at the other Walmart or your sister/brother/son/daughter/mom/father/neighbor/neighborhood hooker who works at Wal-Mart and told you when you had a problem before.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:26 pm

I just want to verify, as a MS semi-noob, that regular (non "vanilla") visa gift cards such as this are unchanged: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-d8kuP3kZNB...+Gift+Card.JPG
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: SQ
Cashier after using a MB VGC at WM to load BB: "it's interesting how it says credit when you used your debit card"
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:52 pm
Original Member

Hope that I did not create the confusion. I have discovered since my last posting that the US Bank cards that are available at Kroger do not require the workaround at WalMart. I was originally using them as part of a four card split tender at WalMart that inlded OVs, and I noted that an additional workaround was required for the US Bank card, In fact, what I was doing was inadvertently changing the US Bank card from Debit to Credit by hitting the Change Payment. Had I done nothing but swipe them and not hit the Change Payment, it would have worked just fine. I have since used them at WalMart with no workaround.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by hamhead
The cashier at the other Walmart or your sister/brother/son/daughter/mom/father/neighbor/neighborhood hooker who works at Wal-Mart and told you when you had a problem before.
Tell them you called corporate Walmart and talked to them about problems you've had with Billpay. Problem solved, and makes you authoritative.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Cashier after using a MB VGC at WM to load BB: "it's interesting how it says credit when you used your debit card"
My response would be: "These registers are terrible."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.