Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by thorax
I'm pretty sure that I deserve it. Just ask me.
They’ve done studies, you know. 60 percent of the time, it works every time.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by ibleed0range
Maybe you will be able to use your real debit card again. Just hand them the card. Obviously there is no name on it, if he denies it just walk out. Why would you use your real debit card? You have nothing to lose by walking out. Now you lost $1K for the month to load.
Because if he gives the WM employee the OV, the WM employee might get confused and call over a manager, which could result in game over. I can no longer go to this one WM because of something like this. I was asked for the card, so I gave the OV. The employee called a manager, who then told the employee to not accept OVs and told me to not try this again because all of the employees would now be informed. Better safe than sorry...
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
No, it doesn't. It only shows that Madison is a good place for MSing. Your "circles and arrows", "mindless sheep", etc. is merely a confabulation. People have different ways of understanding things and I see nothing intrinsically wrong with learning by circles and arrows or step-by-step. They are no less worthy of profiting by MS than any of us -- none of us deserve this, we merely take advantage because it's possible to do so.
What are you talking about? We earn MS here while the circle and arrows crew don't.

At least that is what I am told usually from the most useless posters here.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by commdiver
Because if he gives the WM employee the OV, the WM employee might get confused and call over a manager, which could result in game over. I can no longer go to this one WM because of something like this. I was asked for the card, so I gave the OV. The employee called a manager, who then told the employee to not accept OVs and told me to not try this again because all of the employees would now be informed. Better safe than sorry...

where do you live?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Domat
What are you talking about? We earn MS here while the circle and arrows crew don't.

At least that is what I am told usually from the most useless posters here.
It frustrates me when people want to broadcast information to the world that, if taken up by the receivers, would quickly result in things being shutdown. If people want to get into MSing, fine, great, it's up to them. The information and people they need are on this forum for them to cultivate. Remember: personal initiative, mutuality, and sustainability. Acronym: PMS
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kingrat
where do you live?
+1 Even I am curious to know this
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
Originally Posted by commdiver
Or maybe it won't be game over.
I was blindsided by the no OV thing the other day and (to avoid looking shady) ended up having to hand over the OV to two different clerks. Niether called a manger, and neither even batted an eye. After one unsuccessful swipe, the first clerk at a register even tried manually typing in the OV card number, saying "sometimes doing it this way makes it work." And when that didn't work, he apologized and suggested I try to swipe it at the CS desk. At the CS desk, after the first (and only) unsuccessful attempt, the clerk asked to see the card. Again, no choice, but to show it. This time the reply I got was "oh, those aren't bank cards; they don't always work. If you use your bank card, it always works." [WTH!]
Obiously, can't be stated strongly enough how much YMMV from place to place on this.

Last edited by kiltedflyer; Jun 5, 2014 at 9:39 am
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
It frustrates me when people want to broadcast information to the world that, if taken up by the receivers, would quickly result in things being shutdown. If people want to get into MSing, fine, great, it's up to them. The information and people they need are on this forum for them to cultivate. Remember: personal initiative, mutuality, and sustainability. Acronym: PMS
Nice rationalizations, but it is clear to me that what you care about is your golden goose staying golden. This forum is not the exclusive place for MS information, nor is it any nobler than any other source. It's just information and no one owns it or deserves it more than others.

Stop worrying about shutdowns -- just take advantage while you can and move on to something else when you can't. Why be frustrated? You're ahead of the game.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GLD
No, it doesn't. It only shows that Madison is a good place for MSing. Your "circles and arrows", "mindless sheep", etc. is merely a confabulation. People have different ways of understanding things and I see nothing intrinsically wrong with learning by circles and arrows or step-by-step. They are no less worthy of profiting by MS than any of us -- none of us deserve this, we merely take advantage because it's possible to do so.
Sorry, I have to partially disagree. If a person can't figure out how to hit the "change payment" button when it comes up, I question their problem solving skills. IMO, anything that makes is hard for a portion of people to figure out how to MS, makes it better for the rest of us and keeps this alive longer.

I don't take the ability to MS as a right, it's an arbitrage opportunity. Once an arbitrage opportunity becomes commonly used, it eventually goes away. We will either then switch to less lucrative opportunities, or find new ones.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edwards183
Sorry, I have to partially disagree. If a person can't figure out how to hit the "change payment" button when it comes up, I question their problem solving skills. IMO, anything that makes is hard for a portion of people to figure out how to MS, makes it better for the rest of us and keeps this alive longer.

I don't take the ability to MS as a right, it's an arbitrage opportunity. Once an arbitrage opportunity becomes commonly used, it eventually goes away. We will either then switch to less lucrative opportunities, or find new ones.
I expect you never, ever ask for help, then.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Went by the nearest WM last night only to find the same 2 clerks I had to deal with the night before, at closing time. I didn't even bother getting into the line, left and will circle back this weekend.

*side note* I actually don't mind standing in line at that WM the characters in line are really amusing to watch and I counted 6 women with false eyelashes of various lenghts, 2 other people smelled of booze, one woman had the longest nails all painted and be-dazzled with different things even her big toe nail was encrusted with something sparkly. I learned that a 6 YO kid with an iPad could call their mom in line from a made up number. And that was just 1 visit!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GLD
More "I deserve it because I'm better" thinking. I expect you never, ever ask for help, then.
In actuality I very rarely ask for help, my job depends on me being able to research complex problems and solve them. It is the reason I am pretty successful, a little intellectual curiosity goes a long way.

I like reading and figuring out the Trick it / negotiate it / special savings thread, it's like a really complex puzzle.

Last edited by edwards183; Jun 5, 2014 at 10:31 am Reason: grammar
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In actuality a very rarely ask for help, my job depends on me being able to research complex problems and solve them. It is the reason I am pretty successful, a little intellectual curiosity goes a long way.

I like reading and figuring out the Trick it / negotiate it / special savings thread, it's like a really complex puzzle.
But why do you feel that everyone else should have those same skills and interests?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
In actuality a very rarely ask for help, my job depends on me being able to research complex problems and solve them. It is the reason I am pretty successful, a little intellectual curiosity goes a long way.

Just ignore Paul. He got 12000 posts by telling people that their personal views are wrong and his are correct. I have to give him credit...he keeps plugging away at it no matter how repetitive it gets or how inconsequential the point. Apparently all knowledge is free, the golden goose should be butchered and divided equally to all, and it's impossible to prove that any blogger ruined a good thing. Argumentum ad nauseam, ad infinitum.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by payeco
Just went to my normal WM to load two BBs. I usually go to a register first for one and then the MC for the other.

For the first time ever I was asked to show an ID that he used to match up with the BB. Luckily I had used the one with my name on it. Then when I told him I wanted to pay with debit he asked me to give it to him to swipe. I said "I normally swipe it on the terminal right here" and he said he needs to match it to my ID. I didn't push it any further. I let him pull the $1000 from my real checking and left the store.

Not a good sign... I'm going to go back tomorrow and try again and see what happens...
What you could have done was put in the wrong pin number. Then when it didn't work, act shocked, and say you have to call ur bank. Then walk out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.