Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
Originally Posted by xyion1
Went to my local Walmart to load BB w/ OV. Instead of the registers I tried the MC and missed the change payment 4x (new, color screens - absolutely could not click change payment in time). The CSR was visibly annoyed (I guess I wasn't the first with these issues, and I don't blame her about it either) and said something about Visa no longer working properly because of a change in the system.

Finally managed to load 1 of 2 BBs and left in a hurry before a Manager was called.

Annoying to say the least, looks like this is coming to an end as well. Shame.

You do know you don't have to hit the change payment button on the touchscreen itself; you can press the yellow rubber button on the housing of the terminal to accomplish the same thing. Much easier.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by kiltedflyer
You do know you don't have to hit the change payment button on the touchscreen itself; you can press the yellow rubber button on the housing of the terminal to accomplish the same thing. Much easier.
did not know that. thanks for that tip. the change payment never worked for me, it would never click.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
Originally Posted by iridium
did not know that. thanks for that tip. the change payment never worked for me, it would never click.

Happy to provide any info to help us all keep flying under the radar.

No reason at all for anyone to be out there making the registers beep!

Last edited by kiltedflyer; Jun 5, 2014 at 7:23 pm
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by xyion1

Annoying to say the least, looks like this is coming to an end as well. Shame.
I'm getting that feeling too.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I think the difference is the motivation and the desire to be a part of a community. We all want to help each other travel cheap or supplement their income. Do the bloggers want to help folks, or do they want to make money? Some do actually want to help people. One in particular is totally in it for the money, in my opinion. His posts are irresponsible and incomplete, and his bowtie fashion is meh.
Zing! I've read a few ok blogs. Bow tie's is not very good. But at least he's honest about making money off the links.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
So, are the work arounds that we have exactly the same as what you'd do for a Mastercard that defaults to credit?

If so, I see little point, at least for me, in preferring Visas.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:01 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Moderator Message:

Several overly personal posts have been deleted. Please keep to the subject of the thread, and remember to discuss the issue, not the person.

This is not the place to discuss blogs. There are other threads for that.

Last edited by cbn42; Jun 5, 2014 at 10:10 pm
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:55 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
some insider info: looks like this move was rush implemented by WM to hurry up transactions along with the move towards EMV implementation. which is counter productive in the meanwhile because EMVs will require at the very least a PIN if not a signature when it becomes the defacto standard.

I guess right now they assume ppl just wanna use credit (they dont even have to sign under a certain amount) or dont care and go about there business as soon as possible. going to that option by default would trim some metric that would make some random numbers some MBA measured, look good by making stores seem more efficient and themselves look like rockstars to their management team. especially since delays at checkout lines have been piling up due to, while WM cuts more and more jobs aka frontline personal to man those registers.

I can only hope the IT team and esp upper management revisit this stupid decision. while these companies measure performance down to the second, this isnt necessarily the best place to find arbitrary efficiency when the real issue is elsewhere -- there are other ways of solving the probs WM may be facing in terms of serving customers. this change obv just causes more customer service issues and might end up costing WM more time and $$$ in the end.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by sechs
So, are the work arounds that we have exactly the same as what you'd do for a Mastercard that defaults to credit?

If so, I see little point, at least for me, in preferring Visas.
You should still prefer Visas because this workaround issue only applies to OVs and Vanilla VGCs. If u dont use these then u should be fine and shouldnt have to do the workaround. If this change had applied to all VGCs then yes it makes no diff.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:24 am

Simple solution for WalMart: code all gift cards as non-usable (like the Post Office does). Seems to solve many of the customer service issues people are complaining about here, and it could end the frustration over sharing information about this particular money churn.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by FTRox87
some insider info: looks like this move was rush implemented by WM to hurry up transactions along with the move towards EMV implementation. which is counter productive in the meanwhile because EMVs will require at the very least a PIN if not a signature when it becomes the defacto standard.

I guess right now they assume ppl just wanna use credit (they dont even have to sign under a certain amount) or dont care and go about there business as soon as possible. going to that option by default would trim some metric that would make some random numbers some MBA measured, look good by making stores seem more efficient and themselves look like rockstars to their management team. especially since delays at checkout lines have been piling up due to, while WM cuts more and more jobs aka frontline personal to man those registers.

I can only hope the IT team and esp upper management revisit this stupid decision. while these companies measure performance down to the second, this isnt necessarily the best place to find arbitrary efficiency when the real issue is elsewhere -- there are other ways of solving the probs WM may be facing in terms of serving customers. this change obv just causes more customer service issues and might end up costing WM more time and $$$ in the end.
I know a fair amount of computer systems and more importantly I work in the somewhat obscure world of massive system analyst work - where one hopes to keep all potential issue sin mind as large scale systems roll out tweaks. This is a PERFECT example, of what happens (whether good or bad) to a system when one lever is moved without clear and present thought to other impacts.

Companies as large WM cannot think of all change affects - but maybe this is not as benign as we hope it is...
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by st.exupery
Simple solution for WalMart: code all gift cards as non-usable (like the Post Office does). Seems to solve many of the customer service issues people are complaining about here, and it could end the frustration over sharing information about this particular money churn.
Were you the kid who asked the teacher if there was any homework?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by FTRox87
wrong...

right but costs going up from InComm's side were the ones that outweighed negotiations, not consumers.
Lol. Wrong? No rebuttal? You're better than that, aren't you?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by tuphat
Right.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by st.exupery
Wow...this is one of the most disturbing posts I have read on here in a long time. Kindly remove yourself from the "Manufactured Spend" section of this website. Please and thanks.

Originally Posted by tuphat
Or the one that reminded the teacher that there was homework to be turned in that day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.