FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MO Purchases using OV @ WM
View Single Post
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:00 am
raccah

Originally Posted by FTRox87
some insider info: looks like this move was rush implemented by WM to hurry up transactions along with the move towards EMV implementation. which is counter productive in the meanwhile because EMVs will require at the very least a PIN if not a signature when it becomes the defacto standard.

I guess right now they assume ppl just wanna use credit (they dont even have to sign under a certain amount) or dont care and go about there business as soon as possible. going to that option by default would trim some metric that would make some random numbers some MBA measured, look good by making stores seem more efficient and themselves look like rockstars to their management team. especially since delays at checkout lines have been piling up due to, while WM cuts more and more jobs aka frontline personal to man those registers.

I can only hope the IT team and esp upper management revisit this stupid decision. while these companies measure performance down to the second, this isnt necessarily the best place to find arbitrary efficiency when the real issue is elsewhere -- there are other ways of solving the probs WM may be facing in terms of serving customers. this change obv just causes more customer service issues and might end up costing WM more time and $$$ in the end.
I know a fair amount of computer systems and more importantly I work in the somewhat obscure world of massive system analyst work - where one hopes to keep all potential issue sin mind as large scale systems roll out tweaks. This is a PERFECT example, of what happens (whether good or bad) to a system when one lever is moved without clear and present thought to other impacts.

Companies as large WM cannot think of all change affects - but maybe this is not as benign as we hope it is...