Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2014, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
So does this mean that the OV workaround is still applicable? What I don't understand is that if all VGCs were affected that would make sense. However it seems like this issue affected only OVs and not Metabank/US bank VGCs
I did Metabank VGCs tonight no problem. Had to use the work around on Friday night to use OVs. Going to try OVs tomorrow and see how it goes.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:30 pm

The Metabank Visa GCs are unaffected. The OV and Vanilla Visa from CVS are affected. Are there any other brands of Visa GCs at CVS?
Old May 31, 2014, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dogbyte
The Metabank Visa GCs are unaffected. The OV and Vanilla Visa from CVS are affected. Are there any other brands of Visa GCs at CVS?
Not at any of my CVSs. All OVs or Vanilla VGCs. Vanilla has the nationwide chain drug store VGC selection on lock.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dogbyte
Just loaded 2 OV...so no OV are not affected.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:23 am

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 30, 2014 at 12:27 am
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by payeco
I guess part of the issue may be my saying my debit card is limited to $500 per swipe. So to avoid what they think the computer will see as duplicate swipes (since they think it's the same debit card) of $499.96 what they end up doing (they literally did this at 3 out of the 4 stores I went to) is $499.50 for the first card. Then $498 for the second swipe so its not the same. That leaves $1.50 + $0.46 + $0.46, or $2.42 for the last swipe which is obviously more than either of my $500 OVs have on them after a $499.50 and a $498.00 swipe so I end up having to put the $2.42 on my real debit card. Plus I've got two cards with $0.50 on one and $2 on the other so my only real options to liquidate that small of an amount is buy myself GCs on Amazon since they allow e-gift card purchases of as little as $0.15. That $2.50 in leftover money that has to sit in my Amazon account until I buy something plus $2.42 on my real debit card really cuts in to my margins.

I suppose I could ask them specifically to do $500 on the first swipe but I hate to draw too much attention to myself. Maybe I'll try next time. Though if Walmart is back to allowing OVs it may not be as big of an issue.
some people make this so much harder and time consuming than it has to be
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by payeco
I guess part of the issue may be my saying my debit card is limited to $500 per swipe. So to avoid what they think the computer will see as duplicate swipes (since they think it's the same debit card) of $499.96 what they end up doing (they literally did this at 3 out of the 4 stores I went to) is $499.50 for the first card. Then $498 for the second swipe so its not the same. That leaves $1.50 + $0.46 + $0.46, or $2.42 for the last swipe which is obviously more than either of my $500 OVs have on them after a $499.50 and a $498.00 swipe so I end up having to put the $2.42 on my real debit card. Plus I've got two cards with $0.50 on one and $2 on the other so my only real options to liquidate that small of an amount is buy myself GCs on Amazon since they allow e-gift card purchases of as little as $0.15. That $2.50 in leftover money that has to sit in my Amazon account until I buy something plus $2.42 on my real debit card really cuts in to my margins.

I suppose I could ask them specifically to do $500 on the first swipe but I hate to draw too much attention to myself. Maybe I'll try next time. Though if Walmart is back to allowing OVs it may not be as big of an issue.
Why do you make it sooooo much harder than it needs to be? I think fabricating your own story has done more harm than good. Having $2.42 spread out over 3-4 OVs is just not smart. Either just use the OVs to buy a candy bar or a drink at a grocery store and move on OR don't get paranoid and just do $500 swipes and not come up with this lame $500/swipe story. Structuring it is not going to do anything. I am sure you are not first person to claim that you are limited to $500/swipe but if you already said just follow through with it and do 4 x $500 swipes.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:28 am
Suspended

Why do you make it sooooo much harder than it needs to be? I think fabricating your own story has done more harm than good. Having $2.42 spread out over 3-4 OVs is just not smart. Either just use the OVs to buy a candy bar or a drink at a grocery store and move on OR don't get paranoid and just do $500 swipes and not come up with this lame $500/swipe story. Structuring it is not going to do anything. I am sure you are not first person to claim that you are limited to $500/swipe but if you already said just follow through with it and do 4 x $500 swipes.

Maybe you are right and I've over thought it all. This is a new chain I hadn't read anyone else's experiences with so I wanted to try to play it safe. Plus the first store in this chain that I visited telling me they couldn't split tender threw me for a loop at the rest of the stores, which seemed to have no problem splitting tender. Next time I guess I'll have to just be more assertive telling them I want 3 $500 MOs and one for $498 and to split the tender $500 per swipe like I do at Walmart.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:47 am

just let these neebs do what they want, no reason to argue with some people
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat, SPG Gld, HH Gld, MR Gld
Originally Posted by kxc262
Just loaded 2 OV...so no OV are not affected.
How do you do the load? Old method, Workaround, Katie???
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by QL_714
FT mindset is # of posts = knowledge. One 10k+ poster blows that theory out of the water.
I can tell you that I know of some 30k posters who know not a darn thing about MS or even care about it. I often wonder what else they do. But some of them think they know sooo much, they wont even stoop to find out more.

I have forgotten more than I know. So many times people who have like 40 posts or who never even use FT are sharing ideas with me that make more sense than the stupid crap I come up with.

I'm just a volume guy. nothing more. Oh sure I know a few things about this or that, or can draw from experience on how to watch out for stuff or what doesnt work and why, and I even have a few well tested practices on how to avoid a FR (been through one so that helps in knowing) but in the end, this stuff only works with some collaboration.

the sad thing--and yes, I am likely guilty of it too, although I hope my brand is less harming and more "goodful"--is that when we all yap about it in here, we do it no good in lasting.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I can tell you...
All is good. If I say much more it will just disappear.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K;
FT mindset is # of posts = knowledge. One 10k+ poster blows that theory out of the water.
I wonder who that might be?

I think that a troll with huge post numbers is still a troll...

Added Definition:
a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

Last edited by grayland; Jun 1, 2014 at 9:39 am
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:54 am

I just loaded BB with OV and Visa Meta Bank at KAte with no issues. I did have to use the change payment method button to purchase a MO at customer service when using OV.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:02 am

All is good. If I say much more it will just disappear.
Pu$$y answer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.