Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2014, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by wolfie787
Variable $20-$500. The shelves have been replenished and I bought one today!
Yes but they are a dollar more than OV, so I avoid them.
Old May 24, 2014, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
I like Kroger because they also have good grocery sales and I easily get MOs as well. One stop shopping.
Old May 24, 2014, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Deleted.

Last edited by jan_believes; Jul 22, 2014 at 1:58 am
Old May 24, 2014, 9:55 pm

Go with what makes you comfortable. Kroger is one of my sources of VGC and the fees vary from $3.95-$5.95. I like it that way!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
Originally Posted by jan_believes
Fees: $29.75 + .68* - $30.18 = $.25

(*one MO, hold other for BB reloads)
Tried to PM you
Quick Q - may be dumb -
Other for BB reloads , so these GC can be loaded directly to BB ( at WM ) ?
Appreciate any information here.
Thanks
Old Jun 29, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Corridor!
Does anyone know if you can purchase two GC's for $500 each in the same transaction at Jewel?
Only at Customer Service. Cashiers can only ring one.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:17 pm

And now, since the OV debacle, I'm all over the variable loads. Like the great coupons for them too.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by wolfie787
Variable $20-$500. The shelves have been replenished and I bought one today!
Anyone still receiving Fuel Rewards at Kroger with the purchase of variable load gc's?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Corridor!
Does anyone know if you can purchase two GC's for $500 each in the same transaction at Jewel?
It requires override key when you buy more than one $500 VGC, at the Jewel that I frequent, the managers will override, no problem. But I usually try to avoid holding up the line, usually just pay at the CS desk or go to the USCAN attendant to pay.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
Only at Customer Service. Cashiers can only ring one.
I bought a $500 Visa GC at Jewel this week and the paper on the inside said "you will not be issued a pin" Has anyone ran into this problem? I think the bank that issued the card was US national. I never did call the 800 number, i just used amazon payments to liquidate it, but after reading some posts, it seems as of April 1, 2013 all debit GC are suppose to be able to obtain a PIN. Any thoughts? BTW, I am trying to load my bluebird account since VOGC are no longer accepted.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by ajhardee
I bought a $500 Visa GC at Jewel this week and the paper on the inside said "you will not be issued a pin" Has anyone ran into this problem? I think the bank that issued the card was US national. I never did call the 800 number, i just used amazon payments to liquidate it, but after reading some posts, it seems as of April 1, 2013 all debit GC are suppose to be able to obtain a PIN. Any thoughts? BTW, I am trying to load my bluebird account since VOGC are no longer accepted.
Why not? You can set your PIN there.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:24 am

This wiki has got to be the epitome of spoon feeding. Is it THAT hard to go into a store and look? For anyone that lazy, or large out of town groups--you just put a run on your store. Well done. Now that you know, Jan_believes, take it down!

Last edited by ZzzzX; Jun 30, 2014 at 6:37 am
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: Several dozen
This is the tread that so wants to be closed.

Let us pause to remember The Mint, The First Bank of the Spook, CVS VRs, Harris Teeter, SevenEleven, WalMart and the rest of our fallen friends. For those remaining opportunities about to die (from over publicity), we salute you!

This wiki has got to be the epitome of spoon feeding. Is it THAT hard to go into a store and look? For anyone that lazy, or large out if town groups--you just put a run on your store. Well done.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:09 am

*sigh* went to a big city this weekend. Had tons of stores full of tasty metabank gift cards.

Damn you small town with your uppity grocery store workers!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
This wiki has got to be the epitome of spoon feeding. Is it THAT hard to go into a store and look? For anyone that lazy, or large out of town groups--you just put a run on your store. Well done. Now that you know, Jan_believes, take it down!
Hi, ZzzzX, how are you? You want this thread closed, is that right? Has it lost ALL its benefit? I would just add that the thread was never meant to encompass ALL store possibilities. Is it the specificity of post 213 that one could extrapolate as being TOO informative that troubles?

It was meant to FOCUS on grocery stores because I was to be on travel and wanted to cover the grocery store bonus category while outside of my normal area where I could not purchase variable Visa/MC GCs at the local grocer (none there). It's my belief it has been helpful. It expanded info for others in other areas with other grocery store opportunities.

Last edited by jan_believes; Jul 22, 2014 at 1:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.