Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Proposal and Discussion: Limit the MS thread access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal and Discussion: Limit the MS thread access

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:29 pm

I think it's a reasonable compromise to have this forum non-indexed, and viewed only when you're logged in.

But really, I doubt it will make much difference.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: AOPA
Because flyertalk is owned by KKR. And they usually make good money from their investments.

More Flyertalk traffic = $more$
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
We can have a forum that is not open to the entire world. All serious MSpenders would have an account here, and closing it off to non-registered users would have no affect on us.
Which is selfishness also, merely expanded to a select group.

Also, I don't accept your premise that this forum caused the OBC shutdowns. Blame yourself instead. Then move on to the next opportunity.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Good luck OP!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:43 pm

Here we go again.....
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Seriously, why is this subforum still open for the world to see?
Because the Talk Board has not voted to impose access restrictions.

At the very least it should be a private forum that is not indexed and not searchable by search engines.
Go over to the Talk Board forum and tell them that.

Can the mods explain why this forum is still open? Who is in charge of this forum?
The moderators are not in charge of the rules for forum access. The Talk Board has always had jurisdiction there as your elected reps.

Please no discussion about who is at fault for the recent incident, I just want a good reason why this subforum is still open.
Pretty simple: because the Talk Board has not taken a vote on restricting access. Should you want something like that, go over to their forum and start the discussion. The only votes that matter would be theirs. Here's a link to their forum for you:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:04 pm
jmw

Restrictions on the MS forum are never going to happen.

This is the most popular sub-forum on the site.

Some of us have moved away from FT to private forums. It's better to just pack your bags and leave. Save your new tricks for the private forums or even better yet, in-person meetups. In the long run, I think private forums won't work and we'll have to share tricks in person and private messages.

---

By the way, look at this page and see how many times credit cards are pimped. $$$$
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:07 pm

u mad bro?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

1. Seriously, why is this subforum still open for the world to see? At the very least it should be a private forum that is not indexed and not searchable by search engines.

2. Can the mods explain why this forum is still open? Who is in charge of this forum?

3. I'm sick and tired of seeing deals killed!!!
1. For the same reason that the mileage run forum is open, because FT is about sharing information/not hoarding it only for oneself.

2. The mods can explain, but I will as well. TalkBoard has not voted to restrict access (and probably won't).

3. Sounds like you'll be sick & tired a lot. Deals come/deals go. Deals can be found via a variety of sources. Doing a quick google search on manufactured spending shows 15 different links (only one of which is FT) on the first page alone. Even if TB restricted access the information would still be out there via other sources.

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Why? Because this is a forum for helping each other, not for "close the door right behind me" selfishness.
Agree. While I don't do MS I would come here to learn more about it.

Originally Posted by tom911
Because the Talk Board has not voted to impose access restrictions.

Go over to the Talk Board forum and tell them that.

The moderators are not in charge of the rules for forum access. The Talk Board has always had jurisdiction there as your elected reps.

Pretty simple: because the Talk Board has not taken a vote on restricting access. Should you want something like that, go over to their forum and start the discussion. The only votes that matter would be theirs. Here's a link to their forum for you:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/
What tom911 said.

Cheers.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
1. For the same reason that the mileage run forum is open, because FT is about sharing information/not hoarding it only for oneself.

2. The mods can explain, but I will as well. TalkBoard has not voted to restrict access (and probably won't).

3. Sounds like you'll be sick & tired a lot. Deals come/deals go. Deals can be found via a variety of sources. Doing a quick google search on manufactured spending shows 15 different links (only one of which is FT) on the first page alone. Even if TB restricted access the information would still be out there via other sources.
1. There is sharing, and then there is beating the drums and attracting unwanted attention to yourself. FT has gone beyond sharing, it's doing the latter, and you are just painting bulleyes for our community. Guess what? OBC existed for a long time, which is why it's called OLD Blue Cash, and other forums like FatWallet have discussed it before, but not in such a blatant and obvious manner, and it survived for years. In less than a year after it was created on FT, the deal died. Thanks a lot. I suppose it could be worse, the bloggers could have promoted this and it would have died in 3 months instead.

2. Maybe it's time to hold another vote, and how many Talk Board members actually represent their "constituents" here?

3. That's not an excuse to avoid taking any simple and logical actions to preserve MSpend. FT is still one of the largest forum out there, please exercise some responsibility with your influence/power. If we can reduce the flow of water from a stream to a trickle, sure water is going to leak, but it's going to take longer.

But hey if you don't give a ...., just say so, there is no need to insult our intelligence with excuses.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Agree. While I don't do MS I would come here to learn more about it.
So you admit that you don't MSpend, and so why are you representing our interests?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:47 pm

3. That's not an excuse to avoid taking any simple and logical actions to preserve MSpend. FT is still one of the largest forum out there, please exercise some responsibility with your influence/power. If we can reduce the flow of water from a stream to a trickle, sure water is going to leak, but it's going to take longer.

But hey if you don't give a ...., just say so, there is no need to insult our intelligence with excuses.
Why do you assume everyone shares your values and point of view?

All things come to an end. People die, nations fall, love wanes. The death of any and every thing is inevitable, ms included. Some of us choose to take this to heart, and instead of feeling entitled to the hobby appreciate every avenue we are afforded.

On another note, why do you get so emotional about this? The world is always moving and won't wait for you, so just roll with the punches. If ms gets you this upset, I don't want to know how you deal with real problems.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:55 pm

2. Maybe it's time to hold another vote, and how many Talk Board members actually represent their "constituents" here?
I don't think there's been any vote at all. The topic has been raised a few times on the Talk Board forum, but just hasn't got up enough steam to have a vote, or even have a motion worded for the Talk Board members to vote on. Did you have a specific motion in mind? I think that's part of the problem. There is no single motion to cover all the different interested parties ("constituents").

The last discussion, from July, which did have a motion in the first post, was started by a veteran FTer who was primarily concerned about rudeness on this forum and wanted a 180 day/180 post access requirement to work around that. Had nothing to do with securing the information on the forum. Doesn't look like you participated in that thread, but it is still open if you want to comment. There just wasn't a lot of support to lock down a forum for "rudeness". You can also start a new thread if you want to go in a different direction.

Suggestion: Implement Entry Requirement for Manufactured Spending Forum
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. There is sharing, and then there is beating the drums and attracting unwanted attention to yourself...
Please point out this "beating the drums". I don't see any. Someone who jumps directly into hyperbole is not someone others will listen to.

You also confuse correlation with causation. You don't actually have a clue why AmEx shut people down. All you have is speculation.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:13 pm

So you admit that you don't MSpend, and so why are you representing our interests?
I know that SkiAdcock doesn't fly American Airlines, or stay at Hyatt Hotels (she's a mega-Marriott person), but that doesn't preclude her from representing members of those forums, both of which I regularly contribute to. Talk Board members aren't expected to be experts on every forum on FT, be it Delta or Manufactured Spend. If there's a topic posted in their forum for discussion, they can gather input and raise questions at that time on their own forum.

Elections are coming up in a few weeks. If you're not happy with the current Talk Board, you can run yourself or vote for someone new. You'll even have an opportunity to submit written questions to candidates which could help you better identify a candidate to vote for.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:19 pm

I do believe that in the interest of making some of the more knowledgeable people who now do much of their discussion on private forums more comfortable over concerns about the information being readily accessible, simply requiring registration before viewing the MS sub-forum could be beneficial. Additionally, I'm very in favor of not having these pages searchable by search engines. As has been pointed out, we don't know why deals die, but having flyertalk on the front page of Google spelling out in a wiki how to take advantage of a product's benefits in a way that clearly wasn't originally intended isn't going to make that opportunity last any longer. I know that eligibility requirements aren't likely to come in to play to view this sub-forum, but a requirement for registration seems like it could do some good without hindering FT users ability to share information with all the other members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.