Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Proposal and Discussion: Limit the MS thread access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal and Discussion: Limit the MS thread access

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Domat
It isn't nice of you to call FOxx that.
What does this have to do with MS?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by silver6054
We've seen estimates here which are much higher for the MMS-level blogs once referrals (at up to ~$300 each) are added.

But I don't think publishing figures is going to change anything. If you read the comments, lots of people are grateful that MMS (and others like him) have assembled this useful information in an easy-to-understand form (And complaints that he is ruining deals, or stealing from FT etc, are dismissed as whining losers by the supporters). So I don't think anyone will say "Oh, I thought you got 5c per link, not $300, I will never read you again." I think you have to at least go one step further and show that better cards are being excluded in favor of commissioned links. That is happening of course, but it's not as if they are pushing bad expensive cards, many here would recommend some of the same ones.
The other business is the new MS DOs. MS info is repackaged and resold for what will be growing profits..the new MS DO has been put together and who knows what the profit split is. Obviously not everything being sold at a DO is from FT, but likely some or lots of it.

Ironic that some of those who cajole harangue and misinform others on FT about MSing are out selling seminars now. $115x120 people for a one day seminar=13800, nice way to sell mostly public info.

Just another reason for MS forum on FT to stay open. Wide open.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
What does this have to do with MS?
Since you didn't quote the actual insult and instead my reply I have to assume you mean the general topic.

Answer to that would be everything.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by caljr
The other business is the new MS DOs. MS info is repackaged and resold for what will be growing profits..the new MS DO has been put together and who knows what the profit split is. Obviously not everything being sold at a DO is from FT, but likely some or lots of it.

Ironic that some of those who cajole harangue and misinform others on FT about MSing are out selling seminars now. $115x120 people for a one day seminar=13800, nice way to sell mostly public info.

Nonsense. They'd be better off working minimum wage considering the time it takes and hassle involved.

The MS forum should be more difficult to enter than Coupon Connection. It is 1000x more valuable. And I fully support minimum posting requirement and 6 month minimum time requirement. Way too many nimrods get on FT and post endless rubbish and run up their post count.

I'd also like to see known ripoff artists like MMS et al banned from access.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101
Nonsense. They'd be better off working minimum wage considering the time it takes and hassle involved.
yes, of course, my bad. "work" 8 hours regurgitating public info in a luxury hotel about how to spend money on credit cards, or work 8.5 greasy hours in mcdonalds for minimum wage, plus fries.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by caljr

I agree.

My friend in Chicago told me about a forthcoming seminar scheduled in October which she will be attending. Fee is $95 and the speakers in the seminar are the bloggers (MMS, MP) and lots of posters on FT
Old Jul 7, 2014, 3:18 pm

hypocrisy

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I agree.

My friend in Chicago told me about a forthcoming seminar scheduled in October which she will be attending. Fee is $95 and the speakers in the seminar are the bloggers (MMS, MP) and lots of posters on FT
there are bloggers that are well known posters on the MS forum who are in favor of shutting people up or making people be quiet about MS all in the self serving interest of exploiting MS opportunities, either directly by MSing, or selling MS information for lots of cash.

it is despicable and the stinkiest kind of hypocrisy to be trying to shut others up on the one hand while you blabber about the same thing in a DO for money or blog with referral links.

i personally dont care if people want to make money in blogs or sell the info in DO's, just dont come here or anywhere else trying to get others(my) access to the information restricted in some way that is already openly provided. those who do that are just pigs.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:19 pm

as to those who will be attending seminars, I wonder what 'new' information/tactics speakers will reveal to justify that fee? I'd rather get information from here and decide for myself which ones I can do or stay away from those that don't apply to me.

Between now and October, whatever new updates in the MS world there will be, I'm sure it will leak here so what other advantages will the attendees get that readers here won't know?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
What is funny is, I'm not the only one who thinks this. However, if you want to label it as just me, I'm fine with that. So what other reason would you "speculate" why people don't want to learn on their own and want to be spoon feed the answers?
one reason I can think of is the fact that some people may be slow learners or sad to say, just plain dumb . whoever is patient to deal with them holding their hand every step of the way, kudos to them. but for many who do not have the patience, let us not crucify them as well.

as others have already said, if only people take time to read, they will get nuggets of info they can put together to make a decision whether MS is for them or not. I don't have pity for posters who dive in head first and go on a buying spree of AGCs @ shopping portals and then come here to ask, "so I just received my $10K AGCs, what do I do next?" I dread to think the gullible will give the card numbers and 3digit code of the cards to 'hustlers' who offer to help them liquidate the cards
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:12 am

Since the mods decided the thread needs to be merged, Ill ask here. What is the benefit of posting deals here?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:13 am

Flyer Talk Manufactured Spending is a frequented forum by members as well as lurkers, searchable by Google.

Advantages of posting deals:

1.)???

Disadvantages of posting deals:

1.) Posting the deal ensures it gets killed. (Numerous examples. I wont bother listing them all.)

2.) You are not only hurt yourself, you hurt anyone using the deal prior to the posting. (Those people who have the discretion)

Discuss either side.

3.) ???

Please don't argue the chicken/egg theory. Groups of <50 people can discover better deals than posted on FT.

And yes you can get into private groups by applying and showing more than the average competence in MS through your own research and diligence.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by cashback
Flyer Talk Manufactured Spending is a frequented forum by members as well as lurkers, searchable by Google.

Advantages of posting deals:

1.)???
FT is a community of frequent flyers. You can contribute as much or as little as you want. If someone elects to share information, they too can share as little or as much as they want. Members should feel free to contribute any material they want to share with other members as long as it's on-topic. As the Talk Board has not placed any access restrictions in place for this forum, yes, search engines and unregistered members can view all material, just like they have the last 16 years in unrestricted forums. If you're not happy with that level of access, pop into the active Talk Board thread and convince them to change it.

Disadvantages of posting deals:

1.) Posting the deal ensures it gets killed. (Numerous examples. I wont bother listing them all.)

2.) You are not only hurt yourself, you hurt anyone using the deal prior to the posting. (Those people who have the discretion)

Discuss either side.

3.) ???=
You're pretty much making the case that this forum should be closed down. Is that your intent? Why have a forum if members can't share information and contribute to it at whatever level they are comfortable?

FT has always been about sharing information, be it mileage runs, hotel sales or even manufactured spend. The rules in place right now allow anyone to post as little or as much as they want. There are no restrictions on what can be posted here.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by tom911

You're pretty much making the case that this forum should be closed down. Is that your intent? Why have a forum if members can't share information and contribute to it at whatever level they are comfortable?

FT has always been about sharing information, be it mileage runs, hotel sales or even manufactured spend. The rules in place right now allow anyone to post as little or as much as they want. There are no restrictions on what can be posted here. (as long as posts follow the board's TOS)
^

I don't know what gives some people the right to tell others what to/not to post? If someone posts a tactic they've been keeping to themselves, they go postal on the OP either via PM or post scathing comments to belittle them. They can keep gloating about info they share with just a few members in their private forums but to keep on badgering others to stop sharing the deals here is just too much, IMO.

blue fonts are mine.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by craz
Its rather very simple why the difference of opinion. Till a person learns about something they want Everything to be out in the open, once they learn and know how to milk whatever for the max they want it Deleted, Closed, or a min # of posts like CC in order to beable to view it.

Of cause with the last the min # of posts the # MUST be at least 1 # below whatever their post count is , or if by date when signed up then at least 1 day after they signed up, that way they are IN. In the past on other threads when I suggested either a post count far away from theirs or a Date a yr or so before thay joined , they would go bonkers why that wasnt fair, yet it was perfectly fair to them to make the lines anywhere as long as they were Included. This will never change, as long as they will have access to the info/forum its 100% OK, if tehy wont have access its not fair and shouldnt be like CC
^

it's funny how others insist to close the board to others since they are already IN what matters to them is I, ME, MYSELF.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
^

I don't know what gives some people the right to tell others what to/not to post? If someone posts a tactic they've been keeping to themselves, they go postal on the OP either via PM or post scathing comments to belittle them. They can keep gloating about info they share with just a few members in their private forums but to keep on badgering others to stop sharing the deals here is just too much, IMO.

blue fonts are mine.
He just asked. Didn't give judgement at least on this thread. On the other hand, you decided to give a judgement.

What's the point of can't discuss but just give judgement then? That's no different from your statement in bold.

Last edited by vagrants; Jul 29, 2014 at 7:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.