Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Proposal and Discussion: Limit the MS thread access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal and Discussion: Limit the MS thread access

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by ceverett
Doesn't matter. Anyone with something of substance to say is long gone.
Originally Posted by cashback
^^^
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Tell him what he's won...
You do know what you're admitting, Right?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:09 pm

Sorry if something like this has been suggested before, but I haven't read the entire thread.

How about adding the ability to vote similar to FWF, for members who have been here a certain period of time, but enough negative votes would result in an individual post or an entire topic being deleted?

A member having a certain number of their posts deleted this way could also be suspended.

This obviously isn't about limiting access, but about removing posts that enough members think shouldn't be here.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Sounds like you want to change the current structure of forum moderation. The Talk Board doesn't deal with anything involving moderation, so you'd have to get the Community Director to sign off on it and implement it. She's very responsive to PMs if you want to run it by her and get her thoughts before you put any more effort into it.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:16 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by zenride
Sorry if something like this has been suggested before, but I haven't read the entire thread.

How about adding the ability to vote similar to FWF, for members who have been here a certain period of time, but enough negative votes would result in an individual post or an entire topic being deleted?

A member having a certain number of their posts deleted this way could also be suspended.

This obviously isn't about limiting access, but about removing posts that enough members think shouldn't be here.
Flyertalk already has a procedure for removing posts that violate the policies. Use the red triangle ! button to report them.

My perception is that many people on here want to remove posts that don't violate any rules, simply to stop others from finding out about the deals. I am pretty sure TalkBoard and the Community Director are never going to approve any such thing, because it goes against the spirit of the forum, although you are welcome to propose it.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
Flyertalk already has a procedure for removing posts that violate the policies. Use the red triangle ! button to report them.

My perception is that many people on here want to remove posts that don't violate any rules, simply to stop others from finding out about the deals. I am pretty sure TalkBoard and the Community Director are never going to approve any such thing, because it goes against the spirit of the forum, although you are welcome to propose it.
How are "these many people" any different from those in the Trick It thread or Coupon Connection or Lifemiles thread? Three very different forums, with two very different policing and privacy standards, but the common theme of intelligently sharing to prolong the deal.

There is a precedent and the moderators comply on those sub-forums by controlling the content (either by removing/organizing posts or access requirements). Any "FT isn't about that" argument dies with those examples.

Who determines the spirit of the forum anyway? Mob rule? Elder statesman? Self policing? TB Representatives or Moderates who don't MS themselves or have little to no experience in advanced techniques or no skin in the game?

What an astute observer would notice is that quality is down, new ideas/mechanisms are down, blog poaching is up and clueless newbie posts are up (didn't read thread let alone wiki let alone "read this first" thread). These are interrelated.

If something doesn't change, the brain drain and deafening silence from the people that can help will prevail.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
You do know what you're admitting, Right?
Yes. I'm substance free. D.A.R.E. really impacted me when I was a kid.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred

I'd allow it.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by zozeppelin
How are "these many people" any different from those in the Trick It thread or Coupon Connection or Lifemiles thread? Three very different forums, with two very different policing and privacy standards, but the common theme of intelligently sharing to prolong the deal.

There is a precedent and the moderators comply on those sub-forums by controlling the content (either by removing/organizing posts or access requirements). Any "FT isn't about that" argument dies with those examples.

Who determines the spirit of the forum anyway? Mob rule? Elder statesman? Self policing? TB Representatives or Moderates who don't MS themselves or have little to no experience in advanced techniques or no skin in the game?

What an astute observer would notice is that quality is down, new ideas/mechanisms are down, blog poaching is up and clueless newbie posts are up (didn't read thread let alone wiki let alone "read this first" thread). These are interrelated.

If something doesn't change, the brain drain and deafening silence from the people that can help will prevail.
I love everything about this post.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I love everything about this post.
Even the fact that most of the claims are mere conjecture or personal perception?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Even the fact that most of the claims are mere conjecture or personal perception?
That's my favorite thing about it.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:38 am

Aside from moderation issues, which are best dealt with off the forum in private, what exactly do you want to change? I read your post several times and still don't see any proposals.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Aside from moderation issues, which are best dealt with off the forum in private, what exactly do you want to change? I read your post several times and still don't see any proposals.
My post was posing questions to the moderator about his/her statements, not moderation. These questions were supported with observations from this and other sub forums on FT. There was no attempt to propose a solution.

I think before this forum can agree upon a solution, they need to agree on the objective, so the solution is indeed a solution. My questions highlighted my concern that even if the "entire forum" agreed on a solution, the powers that be wouldn't do it anyways based on the comments I have seen.

I will note there are several other MS forums thriving with collaborative and open cultures. Some important differences would be search indexing (public vs private) and vetting. It is amazing how much people are willing to work and share when there is no fear of their efforts being ripped off by a blogger, found out by the arbitrage entity or imploded by out of line newbies.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:59 pm

[QUOTE=zozeppelin;23802553]My post was posing questions to the moderator about his/her statements, not moderation. These questions were supported with observations from this and other sub forums on FT. There was no attempt to propose a solution.

I think before this forum can agree upon a solution, they need to agree on the objective, so the solution is indeed a solution. My questions highlighted my concern that even if the "entire forum" agreed on a solution, the powers that be wouldn't do it anyways based on the comments I have seen.

I will note there are several other MS forums thriving with collaborative and open cultures. Some important differences would be search indexing (public vs private) and vetting. It is amazing how much people are willing to work and share when there is no fear of their efforts being ripped off by a blogger, found out by the arbitrage entity or imploded by out of line newbies.[/QUOTE]

I concur.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:01 pm

My questions highlighted my concern that even if the "entire forum" agreed on a solution, the powers that be wouldn't do it anyways based on the comments I have seen.
Sounds like you're writing off the Talk Board before there's even a proposal in play for them to vote on. I've only seen one Talk Board member posting here recently so it's impossible to predict how they would vote on any motion put before them. The only motion proposed this year (and it was by a member that is not on Talk Board) dealt with restricting access due to rude posters and imposing 180 days/180 posts before you ever get in here. It did not gain any traction among Talk Board members to even be voted on. Dealing with rude posters is clearly a moderation issue, not a Talk Board issue.

The problem with presenting a proposal to the Talk Board is that there is no single school of thought on this forum. Some want entry restrictions (and there's a wide range of options here), others don't. There's been proposals that a quiz be required for entry, that the forum be split into two with one section being for experts, and that there be a panel of forum veterans to decide who gets into that forum. Each of those proposals brings up a new list of questions as to how they're going to be implemented.

Do you really think you're going to get an entire forum to agree with a single proposal? It's just not going to happen. This thread is 11 months old now and that one thing seems pretty clear. The only votes that matter in the end are those of the Talk Board. That's who needs to be convinced. If you or someone else has a proposal, round up your support and post it on the Talk Board forum so they can vote on it.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
The problem with presenting a proposal to the Talk Board is that there is no single school of thought on this forum. Some want entry restrictions (and there's a wide range of options here), others don't. There's been proposals that a quiz be required for entry, that the forum be split into two with one section being for experts, and that there be a panel of forum veterans to decide who gets into that forum. Each of those proposals brings up a new list of questions as to how they're going to be implemented.

Do you really think you're going to get an entire forum to agree with a single proposal? It's just not going to happen.
How often does any group of people have a single school of thought?

Does everyone on this entire forum have to agree? Can't there be a vote?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.