Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Proposal and Discussion: Limit the MS thread access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal and Discussion: Limit the MS thread access

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2014, 12:58 am

Toxicity, that includes your own fraudulent posts about purchasing VGC at CB.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: A few
I would like to propose a ban on Johnny-come-lately types who've been here a year or two and think they are experts and god's-gift-to-ms from all posting on FT, not just this forum. You guys are the reason more and more people FT, not noobs.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I would like to propose a ban on Johnny-come-lately types who've been here a year or two and think they are experts and god's-gift-to-ms from all posting on FT, not just this forum. You guys are the reason more and more people FT, not noobs.
Elaborate on the highlighted part please...
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by styxfire
Toxicity, that includes your own fraudulent posts about purchasing VGC at CB.
LOL. The fact that thread got traction here is indictment enough and proves my point.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Elaborate on the highlighted part please...
sorry meant to say "hate" or "dislike" or "are leaving"
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:55 pm

Sorry but you are dead wrong. The private forums say otherwise.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I have to disagree, I know many of the people who been around awhile who do not post in the MS threads because of the noobs, many of these people have started egroups outside of FT.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by toxicity
Yeah, and for anyone that has been around here for a while, it's very easy to see that the current level of post quality is 1000x worse than it's ever been. Lots of clueless posters diarrheaing all over their keyboards, and it will only get worse. Nothing of value has been discussed at FT for weeks now.
Agree completely. Most, if not all, the good information has been driven underground.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:38 pm

A perfect example of why this forum should be closed: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23299825-post4571.html
TooLazyToRead&Greedy being coddled and enabled by EveryoneMeansWell
Seriously, I don't know what's worse: The person with the total disregard for learning even the basics, or the pseudo St. Theresa who thinks even total jerks should be treated with kindness and encouragement.

And as a relative newbie, I know it would mean that I would probably be closed off, but I don't care anymore.

FWI, I think acceptance should be based on an essay test of the basic concepts everyone should read up on and become familiar with. It would be created and graded Pass or Fail, by a cadre of regulars.

Some Example Questions:
1. What words should never pass your lips when conducting transactions at Walmart?
2. How would you as a newbie set up AP?
3. How would you make use of Bluebird and/or Serve?
4. What kind of debit card would you use with BB/Serve if you were going to do so?
5. How would you make a 10,000 spend in 3 months to meet a credit card spend?
6. Why are Amex GC's popular?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rabatt
A perfect example of why this forum should be closed: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23299825-post4571.html
TooLazyToRead&Greedy being coddled and enabled by EveryoneMeansWell
Seriously, I don't know what's worse: The person with the total disregard for learning even the basics, or the pseudo St. Theresa who thinks even total jerks should be treated with kindness and encouragement.

And as a relative newbie, I know it would mean that I would probably be closed off, but I don't care anymore.

FWI, I think acceptance should be based on an essay test of the basic concepts everyone should read up on and become familiar with. It would be created and graded Pass or Fail, by a cadre of regulars.

Some Example Questions:
1. What words should never pass your lips when conducting transactions at Walmart?
2. How would you as a newbie set up AP?
3. How would you make use of Bluebird and/or Serve?
4. What kind of debit card would you use with BB/Serve if you were going to do so?
5. How would you make a 10,000 spend in 3 months to meet a credit card spend?
6. Why are Amex GC's popular?
Your portrayals are hyperbole, so your point is invalid from the start.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by rabatt
Picked by you? If not, who? It's hard to sit on the sidelines when ideas like this get posted. Have you done a survey of FT members offline to see what kind of support you have for this idea, or are you just tossing it out there for the first time? Have the forum moderators bought into it? What Talk Board members do you have on board and how are they going to word the motion for a vote?

Maybe on the AA forum we can have an essay test identifying where the emergency exit rows are by aircraft, and over on the UA forum they can have an essay test to determine what meal might be served on the flights in the next month. Over at Hyatt we can have an essay and award room upgrades to those reporting on their best stays (I was upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite last night in Garden Grove so could be the winner there). Those make just as much sense as an essay test to post in this forum. This forum should welcome all posters just like most forums on FT.

The Talk Board already considered a request for a "quiz". It went nowhere. Go over there and tell them you want an "essay test" and let us know what kind of reception you get. I'll link the thread to make your posting as easy as possible:

Suggestion: Implement Entry Requirement for Manufactured Spending Forum
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:20 pm

Why is this subforum still open for the world to see?

DO NOT move this thread. I want to start a discussion, and OBC was the final straw.

Seriously, why is this subforum still open for the world to see? At the very least it should be a private forum that is not indexed and not searchable by search engines.

Can the mods explain why this forum is still open? Who is in charge of this forum?

I'm sick and tired of seeing deals killed!!!

Please no discussion about who is at fault for the recent incident, I just want a good reason why this subforum is still open.

Others please feel free to "cast" your vote. Should this subforum be closed off from the public?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:21 pm

And does anyone know how to make a poll here?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why? Because this is a forum for helping each other, not for "close the door right behind me" selfishness.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Why? Because this is a forum for helping each other, not for "close the door right behind me" selfishness.
We can have a forum that is not open to the entire world. All serious MSpenders would have an account here, and closing it off to non-registered users would have no affect on us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.