Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Proposal and Discussion: Limit the MS thread access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal and Discussion: Limit the MS thread access

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
I am pretty sure TalkBoard and the Community Director are never going to approve any such thing, because it goes against the spirit of the forum, although you are welcome to propose it.
Originally Posted by zozeppelin
My questions highlighted my concern that even if the "entire forum" agreed on a solution, the powers that be wouldn't do it anyways based on the comments I have seen.
...and if this is true there is no point of discussing changes.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:29 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

How are "these many people" any different from those in the Trick It thread or Coupon Connection or Lifemiles thread? Three very different forums, with two very different policing and privacy standards, but the common theme of intelligently sharing to prolong the deal.
Coupon Connection contains content that people might consider to be a violation of the terms and conditions of the airlines concerned. Since trading coupons requires disclosing your identity, there is a need to keep it private in order to prevent retaliation from the airlines. No such issue exists with MS, which is perfectly within the T&C, and can be done relatively anonymously.

There is a precedent and the moderators comply on those sub-forums by controlling the content (either by removing/organizing posts or access requirements). Any "FT isn't about that" argument dies with those examples.
Moderators on those forums do not control the content. They can remove posts that violate the rules, but not because they feel it shouldn't be out there to "protect the deal".

Who determines the spirit of the forum anyway? Mob rule? Elder statesman? Self policing? TB Representatives or Moderates who don't MS themselves or have little to no experience in advanced techniques or no skin in the game?
The spirit of the forum is determined by a combination of TalkBoard, moderators, and users.

What an astute observer would notice is that quality is down, new ideas/mechanisms are down, blog poaching is up and clueless newbie posts are up (didn't read thread let alone wiki let alone "read this first" thread). These are interrelated.
I agree with the first part, but I am not convinced of them being interrelated. There are plenty of blogs and other forums out there, so hiding information on Flyertalk isn't going to hide it from new users.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by zenride
Does everyone on this entire forum have to agree? Can't there be a vote?
A vote on what, exactly?

Maybe what you want, and it's easy for the moderators to implement, is a poll. That feature is regularly used across the forums of FT. Come up with some questions and ask them to post a poll and go forward from there. When you post your proposal for the Talk Board, you can present that poll to them.

Your Talk Board members are your elected representatives. Short of you and me voting them in at election time, they're the only ones that get to vote around here.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:47 pm

Coupon Connection contains content that people might consider to be a violation of the terms and conditions of the airlines concerned. Since trading coupons requires disclosing your identity, there is a need to keep it private in order to prevent retaliation from the airlines. No such issue exists with MS, which is perfectly within the T&C, and can be done relatively anonymously.
Coupon Connection has always been considered a "reward" for contributions across the whole of FlyerTalk - not sure I buy into the idea that the entry requirements there have anything to do with security. Get in your 180 days/180 posts and you have access. No one there vets traders and if a trade goes bad (like a recent case of 6 UA systemwides not being paid back) the worse they can do is ban you from the forum.

One of the forum moderators posted this during the last vote upping the requirements from 90/90 to 180/180:
Motion Passed: Change Coupon Connection Access Requirements
Originally Posted by wharvey
We are finding more and more people are just working to get access to Coupon Connection to then take from the community.

We are not changing the "activity" measure... it is still an average of one post a day. We are just asking that you keep up that level for 90 additional days.

Stats do not lie... the number of people who stop contributing to Flyertalk once they gain access to Coupon Connection indicates that some only want access to CC. Now, will this stop that? I doubt it... but I do believe it will lower the number of people who play that game.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:34 pm

Moderators on those forums do not control the content. They can remove posts that violate the rules, but not because they feel it shouldn't be out there to "protect the deal".

The spirit of the forum is determined by a combination of TalkBoard, moderators, and users.

I agree with the first part, but I am not convinced of them being interrelated. There are plenty of blogs and other forums out there, so hiding information on Flyertalk isn't going to hide it from new users.
Thanks for the answers. I will add:

MS does violate interpretations of T&C for many entities (see recent shutdowns), both with the CC companies and cash equivalent suppliers. While anonymous, retaliation is possible (see recent shutdowns), on a clear cutting type scale (its not just the posting party that gets the axe), thus a need to protect it from the companies involved.

"Quality Control" moderation action does occur in both Lifemiles and Mileage Run deals (namely TrickIt thread or funneling tricked itins to that thread). Many posts have been moved or deleted that did not violate any FT T&C, but precisely for reasons of "protect the deal".

Can you provide the determination for the spirit of this subforum as defined by 1) talkboard and 2) the moderators?

Also, I don't mean to lump the newbie posts into this discussion, that is a side issue pet peeve. The issue here isn't hiding information (that is already done), it is sharing it better (something that is going downhill). It may be counter-intuitive, but by making the forum more "secretive", it will encourage others to share secrets knowing there will be less downside and more upside.

Last edited by zozeppelin; Nov 6, 2014 at 5:40 pm
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:29 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Can you provide the determination for the spirit of this subforum as defined by 1) talkboard and 2) the moderators?
I can't speak for talkboard or for the other moderators, but my personal belief is that this forum is designed to discuss information, techniques and experiences regarding Manufactured Spending. It is meant to be an inclusive community (this is mentioned in the About FlyerTalk page), not a private club.

Also, I don't mean to lump the newbie posts into this discussion, that is a side issue pet peeve. The issue here isn't hiding information (that is already done), it is sharing it better (something that is going downhill). It may be counter-intuitive, but by making the forum more "secretive", it will encourage others to share secrets knowing there will be less downside and more upside.
This has been discussed earlier in the thread. It is in everyone's best interest to have information shared broadly enough that they find out about it, and no further. I believe that everyone should be free to share as much, or as little, information as they wish, and no one should be allowed to force anyone to share, or stop anyone from sharing, anything.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 9:42 pm

This forum, compared to others here, is rather unique in that it was created by the Community Director and not the Talk Board, so there was no public discussion on the Talk Board forum, or subsequent Talk Board vote, to create the forum. Might be hard to think what they had in mind when they were not involved publicly. That is a very rare occurrence on FlyerTalk. They are tasked with making recommendations to the Community Director, typically on topics like access restrictions and new forums, or deleting lightly used forums (that seems to be a rare occurrence, too).

The Community Director spelled out her reasons in creating the forum here - maybe you'll find it useful - and you can follow up with her by PM:

Announcement: a subforum for "manufactured spend" will be added

I would not expect her to be browsing this thread to answer you publicly.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
This forum, compared to others here, is rather unique in that it was created by the Community Director and not the Talk Board, so there was no public discussion on the Talk Board forum, or subsequent Talk Board vote, to create the forum. Might be hard to think what they had in mind when they were not involved publicly. That is a very rare occurrence on FlyerTalk. They are tasked with making recommendations to the Community Director, typically on topics like access restrictions and new forums, or deleting lightly used forums (that seems to be a rare occurrence, too).

The Community Director spelled out her reasons in creating the forum here - maybe you'll find it useful - and you can follow up with her by PM:

Announcement: a subforum for "manufactured spend" will be added

I would not expect her to be browsing this thread to answer you publicly.

Nice, that was a good chuckle. To summarize:
50% of thread is debating what to name the forum
20% Stoughton trying to talk reason into them considering to make it private and calling them out on clicks for $
30% Mods / TB predicting it will be dead in 6 months (1 year ago)

The irony of course is that most of those high profiles (TB, Director, Mods) have really don't have the slightest clue. It's not their fault as this is a niche hobby that is very far from the normal BIS member of FT. That siad, a good life lesson is to "know what you don't know".

I like the idea of a poll to get a pulse (few lunatics or majority on these sentiments).
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:27 pm

I like the idea of a poll to get a pulse (few lunatics or majority on these sentiments).
You are right, we should have a poll, if for nothing more than hoping people finally realize that change can NOT be counted on, and what we have here is not democracy at all, but rather inverted totalitarianism.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Ham Samich
The MS partition of FT is one of a few places where deals go to die.

It took me a while to realize this, but the sooner you realize this, the sooner you'll stop stressing about it. Move over to the private discussion boards and you'll see something closer to the ideal MS sharing forum that many of us want/wanted to see
Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
The MS partition of FT is one of a few places where deals go to die.

It took me a while to realize this, but the sooner you realize this, the sooner you'll stop stressing about it. Move over to the private discussion boards and you'll see something closer to the ideal MS sharing forum that many of us want/wanted to see
Your beliefs are wholly unverifiable. Non-selfish people will stay here, I think.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Your beliefs are wholly unverifiable. Non-selfish people will stay here, I think.
Yours are?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Yours are?
I don't say I know why, and I don't post speculation as fact.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Nice, that was a good chuckle. To summarize:
50% of thread is debating what to name the forum
20% Stoughton trying to talk reason into them considering to make it private and calling them out on clicks for $
30% Mods / TB predicting it will be dead in 6 months (1 year ago)

The irony of course is that most of those high profiles (TB, Director, Mods) have really don't have the slightest clue. It's not their fault as this is a niche hobby that is very far from the normal BIS member of FT. That siad, a good life lesson is to "know what you don't know".

1/58 = 20%? Math is hard, huh?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
You seem to have real trouble with recognizing opinions. Most of what is stated on an internet forum is someone's opinion - not an assertion of fact.

Of course, most statements here are unverifiable for the sheer reason that no one is doing a research study on said situation.

Just because you preface your opinions with "I think," doesn't mean everyone else has to do the same. It also doesn't obscure your implication that people who move to smaller forums are "selfish."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.