Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Proposal and Discussion: Limit the MS thread access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal and Discussion: Limit the MS thread access

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
If it's "closed" is the thread still indexed by Google? I would think not being indexed would be helpful, certainly to limit the trolls which might then allow the leeches to open up.
closed groups are usually set to not be indexed by search engines. Obviously the opposite of here where they do there best to make sure they are indexed.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Fuerza
Whether people choose the share information is their business. Building a relationship with people will net you the best information sharing results. Getting organized is also equally important. But when fokes come here and say "I need to know how to MS $10k because I applied for a Citi AA EX card" and expect real answers it just dumb and annoying.
And when a noobie with 1, count em, 1 post comes to MS forum and asks what credit cards can you use to buy gift cards and how do I do it......it's really annoying.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Domat
Newbies in the first 6 months are the most enthusiastic, come up with the most new ideas as they are not in a rut. Are more willing to share.

Yes, they have there downsides but leeches are the real problem.
I like how you caricature both sides -- the newbies who are trying their darned hardest to come up with new ideas to help us all and the leeches who do absolutely nothing.

The reality I've seen, my friend, is for the most part newbies coming here with little knowledge, doing no research on their own, and asking foolish questions that are often covered already in the wiki. Or worse yet, gaining some knowledge here without learning the precautions, and going out to merchants to make mistakes that endanger this hobby for the rest of us. I've read posts of people arguing with store managers over the proper use of GC, people opening up newly-bought GC in front of the clerk to buy MO, people loading BB with a ziplock bag of GC, and so forth. Limiting the forum to some extent may not prevent all such abuses, but at least people will have to have a basic knowledge of how to search the forum and sustain this hobby before being able to post. Even if this only saves but another post about the load limit of some buxx card or which GCs are usable at WM, it would be worth it.

As for leeches...at least they're bright enough not to ask dumb questions and perhaps keep information that could be abused to themselves. Perhaps people would be more ready to share if they didn't think that any information shared would be misused by the ziplock crowd. At least that's what I've seen on the more private forums -- a more open discussion of ideas and methods.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:49 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by skitch23
People should be required to take a quiz before they are allowed to post here.
Please let the Talk Board know you want that included in the forum entry requirements.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by fletch512
I like how you caricature both sides -- the newbies who are trying their darned hardest to come up with new ideas to help us all and the leeches who do absolutely nothing.

The reality I've seen, my friend, is for the most part newbies coming here with little knowledge, doing no research on their own, and asking foolish questions that are often covered already in the wiki. Or worse yet, gaining some knowledge here without learning the precautions, and going out to merchants to make mistakes that endanger this hobby for the rest of us. I've read posts of people arguing with store managers over the proper use of GC, people opening up newly-bought GC in front of the clerk to buy MO, people loading BB with a ziplock bag of GC, and so forth. Limiting the forum to some extent may not prevent all such abuses, but at least people will have to have a basic knowledge of how to search the forum and sustain this hobby before being able to post. Even if this only saves but another post about the load limit of some buxx card or which GCs are usable at WM, it would be worth it.

As for leeches...at least they're bright enough not to ask dumb questions and perhaps keep information that could be abused to themselves. Perhaps people would be more ready to share if they didn't think that any information shared would be misused by the ziplock crowd. At least that's what I've seen on the more private forums -- a more open discussion of ideas and methods.

Sure and you continue your own caricatures. The reality is that most people on this forum are leeches. Some true newbies to some oldbies who have been leeching for years with 1 post to there names and everything in between.

But of the ones who post it is the newbies who seem the most eager to give back. Many oldbies want to limit what they have learnt all here from new people finding out.

Almost all of the oldbies were at one time the newbies you and I describe but in a perverted in my day rose color glasses they think otherwise.

I know at least one prominent oldbie who does nothing but leech and complain to managers and is a heavy hitter who equals 10 newbies.

He like most is quick to blame everyone but himself on why deals die.

Another semi-prominent oldbie on this board who likes to preach the good steward and no spoonfeed mantra is also in another board I read. He just finished asking tons of newbie questions instead of trying things himself. After being spoonfed on many different topics he has the nerve to declare that he will try and do some experimenting on a just spoonfed topic but he won't share it with the board.

This a board with 50 users.

Leeches take from us and don't give back. They swell the numbers of MS being done at stores and are the ones most likely to ruin for us all.

I will take a few newbie stupid questions that may result in some give back to some oldbie leecher that abuses our collective work.

Like it was said in another thread. No single raindrop thinks he is the one that caused the flood.

Last edited by Domat; Jul 6, 2014 at 12:12 pm
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by cruisr
And when a noobie with 1, count em, 1 post comes to MS forum and asks what credit cards can you use to buy gift cards and how do I do it......it's really annoying.
Then just bypass the question and go read another one that might interest you. Someone else will answer it, it will roll off the front page if someone doesn't, or the moderators will merge it with an existing thread. Same thing that happens in all the other forums here on FT. MS is not unique to getting new posters who ask a question that might have been asked before.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Awe. Look at Domat. Being pro-noobie as usual.

Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by f0xx
Awe. Look at Domat. Being pro-noobie as usual.

I will take your abuse as you are the only crotchety oldbie who actually earns his keep here.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:29 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
he joined just 2 months before you did haha 'oldbie'
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Shhh. I'm an oldbie to him ^
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87
he joined just 2 months before you did haha 'oldbie'
d'oh, post count through me off. It does explain why he is still helpful though but making the transition to oldbie.

We need a new term for the 6th month mark.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Please let the Talk Board know you want that included in the forum entry requirements.
I posted my idea on that thread this morning
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:43 pm

Second the indexing. That is huge.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Domat
d'oh, post count through me off. It does explain why he is still helpful though but making the transition to oldbie.

We need a new term for the 6th month mark.
Knowitall Noob.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by farwest101
Knowitall Noob.
It isn't nice of you to call FOxx that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.