Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bikeguy
Kate will only allow load totals up to $1999.99 every 10 minutes. It does not matter if it was you or the person before you. If you go over that limit, Kate will freeze. Sept 2015- Several people have reported the 10 minute limit is now longer than 10. Not sure how much longer yet. Several Kate's have locked up following the old 10 minute rule.

9 digit pin problem - Sometimes, for unknown reasons, after you swipe your card and enter your pin, MCE will ask you for a 9 digit pin. To date, no one knows why this happens, or has a fix for it. If it repeatedly asks you for a pin, this is the same as the 9 digit pin problem and there is no fix.
Unplugging and re-booting by a supervisor doesn't fix this problem.

For consistent MCE issues, use the WM feedback link to report:
https://corporate.walmart.com/contac...orate-feedback
Select 'store experience' and be sure to include the store number and address. If you include your name and phone number the stores sometimes call when it is working again. Do not abuse this as it may lead to your MCE being removed.

How to shut Kate up by sosamo
  1. Before you press anything, plug the headphones into the jack near the pinpad
  2. The touchscreen will "gray" out, and you won't be able to press anything.
  3. Press '3' on the pinpad
  4. Press 'Enter' on the pinpad
  5. Continue business as usual on the touch screen.

Note: If you ever make a mistake, to get out, just unplug the headphone.

----
Walmart Money Center Kiosk Location

Any of the walmarts on the list have a Kate
http://www.moneypass.com/atm-locator.aspx

Look for "Walmart Money Center Express" as one of the services
http://www.walmart.com/c/store/search/MoneyCenter
------------------------------
Print Wikipost

Walmart money kiosks(2013-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by chippy111
I know this is probably the umpteenth time someone has talked about the employees, but I have to vent.
Background: In my city, the Kate's seem to always be broken. ALWAYS.
So I usually call in to walmarts on my commute and ask if it's working to plan my route . Lots of time a sign is hung that says Oos or the like so I also ask if the green light is on and not if the Kate is 'broken'.
Fast forward to yesterday when after 25 minutes on hold I finally get an answer that the atm is 'broken' but the green light is on. So you know.... It's not broken.
I make my way to Walmart and walk up to the Kate. Sure enough, taped sign over working machine. I take the sign off and begin my transactions.
Customer service rep seeing me do this says that the machine is broken and that I can't use the machine. When I thank her for her help and inform her that it does seem to work for my transaction, she gives me the look of death. So I conclude my transaction and begin another.
She now is angry it worked for me so she walks over to the machine while I'm starting a second load and starts to tape over the screen with the sign I had placed on top of Kate. When I politely inform her that it is working and I need to still use it , she says that it's broken and that I shouldn't be using it. Mind you there is a line of roughly 15 ppl that are staring at this and not being helped because she is the only CsR employee.
Well I remove the sign to complete my already started load with the full intention of leaving after. That's when behind the desk she loudly exclaims that I need to leave as you are not allowed more than one transaction. I ignored here and finished and left.
I have had issues in the past with lazy managers who refuse to open / turn on the Kate. I have had issues with employees that think I'm doing something illegal. However, I have never dealt with this kind of hostility. Had I been in a worse mood, i would have called her manager. However, I didn't think it would a) do anything or b) be conducive for any future loads.
Venting ceased
That (for lack of an appropriate word) "individual" needs a punch to the face.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:18 pm

Had an interesting encounter with a patient today...who worked at Walmart customer service.

I asked her nonchalantly about the Amex Serve and loading. She told me that as long as it is a debit card (with a pin), it can be loaded onto the Amex serve.

I asked her "what about gift cards?"
She said "YA giftcards can be swiped into the Amex Serve card. Like I had a guy yesterday that came in and wanted to put $100 from the gift card to his Amex. We can do that no problem as long as it is a pin. We get people like this everyday so it's not a big deal."
I then asked her "What about buying gift cards? Can you do that at Wal mart?"
"Yeah, we have different denominations from $50-$500."
I asked "Are you allowed to use a credit card to buy these gift cards?"
"NO YOU CAN'T! It has to be cash or debit only to buy gift cards. The reason why is credit takes 2-3 days to transfer the money while debit is instant. We don't allow gift cards to be purchased by using credit cards."

I quickly then changed the subject to her treatment plan. Has buying gift cards at Walmart been that difficult? I don't recall anyone really struggling buying the cards there.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by BananaPeppers
Had an interesting encounter with a patient today...who worked at Walmart customer service.

I asked her nonchalantly about the Amex Serve and loading. She told me that as long as it is a debit card (with a pin), it can be loaded onto the Amex serve.

I asked her "what about gift cards?"
She said "YA giftcards can be swiped into the Amex Serve card. Like I had a guy yesterday that came in and wanted to put $100 from the gift card to his Amex. We can do that no problem as long as it is a pin. We get people like this everyday so it's not a big deal."
I then asked her "What about buying gift cards? Can you do that at Wal mart?"
"Yeah, we have different denominations from $50-$500."
I asked "Are you allowed to use a credit card to buy these gift cards?"
"NO YOU CAN'T! It has to be cash or debit only to buy gift cards. The reason why is credit takes 2-3 days to transfer the money while debit is instant. We don't allow gift cards to be purchased by using credit cards."

I quickly then changed the subject to her treatment plan. Has buying gift cards at Walmart been that difficult? I don't recall anyone really struggling buying the cards there.
BananaPeppers, it is really important that you do not ask those questions to reps in any store. Hopefully having read other MS thread Wikis, you already know the answers to the questions you asked and the possible repercussions for asking a CSR about MS. Any interaction in-store is to be kind and cooperative, nothing like that "rant" above by chippy111. Try what you have read, if it doesnt work, kindly leave and try somewhere else. It just isn't helpful in the long-run for anyone involved to do otherwise.

Last edited by OldPainless; Dec 4, 2015 at 3:54 am
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by BananaPeppers
Maybe 1 in 20 attempts get nixed? Most Wal-Marts this isn't an issue. I've only encountered 1 that didn't allow a CC to be used. My primary issue has been a cashier that doesn't know how to process the giftcard.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by OldPainless
BananaPeppers, it is really important that you do not ask those questions to reps in any store. Hopefully having read other MS thread Wikis, you already know the answers to the questions you asked and the possible repercussions for asking a CSR about MS. Any interaction in-store is to be kind and cooperative, nothing like that "rant" above by chippy111. Try what you have read, if it doesnt work, kindly leave and try somewhere else. It just isn't helpful in the long-run for anyone involved to do otherwise.
It was a young female in her early 20s that came into the hospital for treatment. No I would never ask those questions in the store. I wanted to get her idea about the Amex Serve but she pretty much had good things to say about it and the people who use it. She would be the last person in scrubs and a white coat to be MSing.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bjones2571
Anyone have issues were Kate wont recognize a swiped BB card? went last night and it was up and running, but when I went to swipe the BB card, its didnt register the swipe. essentially nothing happened when I swiped. I tried multiple BB cards with no luck. This was around 1030pm CDT, so not sure if this was related to end of day operations. Any thoughts? I thought I remembered someone saying they took along something to clean the swipe pad, but not sure and I cant find anything.
Yes, had the same issue, twice now, nothing happens when you swipe...Midwest area
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by OHijAAzi73
Yes, had the same issue, twice now, nothing happens when you swipe...Midwest area
This happened to me before. When I tried to use for an atm, it wouldnt recognize any card.

It was fixed a few days later.

Last edited by lumangoy; Dec 4, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:28 pm

This Kate threw a Windows blue screen of death error. That's a new one for me.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:57 pm

It appears the death of RedBird and recent OM promotion bring a lot more "customers" to Kate, leading to more "shut-off" or "Lane Closed" issues this week compared to what's in the past.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by usalibido
It appears the death of RedBird and recent OM promotion bring a lot more "customers" to Kate, leading to more "shut-off" or "Lane Closed" issues this week compared to what's in the past.
Noticed the same today and yesterday. Why loading $100s and $200s machine shot down both days after 5-6 loads.

But there are always registers.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:36 am

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
Finished up my 2015 MS with $5k on my Serve via an 8:30 and 9:30 (PST) visit to Kate tonight. Not a bad year!

And for once it was working at the first store I tried. Usually some idiot has tripped the velocity limit or broken her another way, and the store doesn't like resetting her.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by levander
When loading Serve with a cashier, how are you guys unloading 2 $500 VGC's at one time? Do you do it once and then ask the cashier to,do it again? Or do you ask her to split the transaction?

I'm doing less MS these days and cashiers might be easier, especially if I can do $1K at a time at a cashier.
I do $1K at the registers - just ask the cashier to do "split tender debit." Make sure you say debit or they'll assume cash and it will screw everything up.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Radster
My local Kate was clogged with MSers last night (first time Ive seen such congestion). I patiently waited my turn (and respected the velocity limits). When I finally got to load, a WM employee saddled up beside me and said "you know you cant load using prepaid cards". I pleaded ignorance and cancelled the latest transaction (and relocated to complete in-person loads). There is ZERO chance she saw what card(s) I was using. They are obviously just very aware of what is going on when they see people occupying Kate for extended periods (and/or milling around in the vicinity). I'll avoid in this MC and Kate in the future.
A couple of WMs near me are getting wise to the prepaid cards limitation so I've been trying to go to other WMs. Went to one last night that had a Kate with an Out of Order sign on it, but the screen and buttons seemed to work OK. I had already completed my loads for the night so I couldn't test it out, but will try here next month. Might also have to try the Bank Card switch-a-roo trick if they all start to catch on.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:47 am

can anyone tell me what the velocity limit message looks like?

I've been having great luck with my local kate but yesterday after 2 500 loads the message popped up saying something "for your security we're requesting an associate to help you", a lady then came over and told me that their "system was updated" and i can no longer do serve loads at kate (obviously wrong because i just did 2), i didn't argue and asked what i was supposed to do, she told me to go to the register and load there, which i did for 2 more swipes.

but i wonder if the kate now has 1K limit or did i trip the velocity limit from someone before me or something bad is happening?

Last edited by Iridium7777; Dec 7, 2015 at 8:00 am
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by Iridium7777
can anyone tell me what the velocity limit message looks like?

I've been having create luck with my local kate but yesterday after 2 500 loads the message popped up saying something "for your security we're requesting an associate to help you", a lady then came over and told me that their "system was updated" and i can no longer do serve loads at kate (obviously wrong because i just did 2), i didn't argue and asked what i was supposed to do, she told me to go to the register and load there, which i did for 2 more swipes.

but i wonder if the kate now has 1K limit or did i trip the velocity limit from someone before me or something bad is happening?
It looks like you hit the velocity limit, with "help" from someone loading before you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.