Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:51 am

Officially it is cash only for variable Visa/MC/AMEX/Prepaid/Reloadables. CC is allowed for other GCs including fixed denomination. A few months ago one of the clerks actually showed me the official chart with check marks and X marks indicating what was cash only. Fortunately my go to Safeway has never seen that chart.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Awr man!!

Here I am scanning the forum and I see the thread on one of my favorite deals bumped, and I'm thinking 'whee, DW is going to be happy with the free groceries again', so, I go into the thread and see it's just questions on Vons CC acceptance policy.

It's been a long time since this deal was alive (last ended very early Dec)...

FWIW: During my clear out of PayPowers (at cooperative stores) in my immediate 25 mile radius I did find that most management has the idea that any card that is 'reloadable' has to be cash only. So, the variable load metabank Visa's are actually ok with them (but that $5.95 fee is crummy without $10 of groceries to offset it -- thus the clear out of PayPowers). So, yes, the same manager that will sell me a $500 Visa GC, will not sell me a $500 PayPower. Other cashiers just go by the 'cash only' message on the package, and if it's not there, then your success rate is much improved.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat, SPG Gld, HH Gld, MR Gld
Originally Posted by HikerT
Officially it is cash only for variable Visa/MC/AMEX/Prepaid/Reloadables. CC is allowed for other GCs including fixed denomination. A few months ago one of the clerks actually showed me the official chart with check marks and X marks indicating what was cash only. Fortunately my go to Safeway has never seen that chart.
So that being said, seems it's Fixed VGC and other Fixed value GC are good to purchase with cc; and all others it really store dependent. Am I tracking correctly?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
Wonder if this will change things any...

Albertsons to Buy Safeway

Currently, I am able to buy GCs at Albertsons, though I do get the occasional pushback. They also have PayPower Visas but in my experience the registers are hard coded to only accept cash.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:03 pm

Not good...
ReloadIts are hard-coded.
No fuel points in my area.

Re the general non-MS shopping experience...
Too close to a monopoly --> terrible news for consumers.
When Albertson's bought Lucky, prices went way up.
Wasn't it about a year ago that Albertson's eliminated their loyalty program?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:21 pm

Strange that is...

Around here there are only few Albertsons around, and, seemingly losing market share. Heck, they just closed up one location about a month ago. On the last day everything was 90% off and I took the opportunity to buy enough wine to last me through to the end of this decade.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:56 pm

sorry if this has already been answered, but are there any hard rules about how much spend triggers a manager approval? I did $980 and a manager had to use the override key, I have never had a problem with sub $500 amounts.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by trubador
sorry if this has already been answered, but are there any hard rules about how much spend triggers a manager approval? I did $980 and a manager had to use the override key, I have never had a problem with sub $500 amounts.
I think it's $500
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Strange that is...

Around here there are only few Albertsons around, and, seemingly losing market share. Heck, they just closed up one location about a month ago. On the last day everything was 90% off and I took the opportunity to buy enough wine to last me through to the end of this decade.
Same here, 90% of the Albertson's around here closed a few years ago. I figured they were on the way to bankruptcy. Even if they are profitable, isn't Safeway much larger than Albertson's?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Premier Executive, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by knopfler
Same here, 90% of the Albertson's around here closed a few years ago. I figured they were on the way to bankruptcy. Even if they are profitable, isn't Safeway much larger than Albertson's?
Yes. The critical thing to know here is that it's not just Albertson's, it's Cerberus, who owns Albertsons, which is a ridiculously large private equity firm. They own a lot more than just Albertsons. Probably they bought Safeway to save Albertsons, not the other way around...but not sure about that part.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by IntegraR0064
Yes. The critical thing to know here is that it's not just Albertson's, it's Cerberus, who owns Albertsons, which is a ridiculously large private equity firm. They own a lot more than just Albertsons. Probably they bought Safeway to save Albertsons, not the other way around...but not sure about that part.
The only Albertson near me closed a few months ago - was crushed by the local Safeways (which are very well run for the most part).

Cerberus probably sees easy consolidation of back office/warehouse/distribution to cut lots of overhead. They are trying to fight off advances from WM - who is rolling out Neighborhood Markets. WM aggressively started building them right near the heart of SW's headquarters in Pleasanton CA. Built two NM in the last few years within a few miles of their HQ and have 4 big WM in a 10 mile radius. Not a very subtle attack - right for the jugular.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 6:05 pm

BACK. Kinda sorta. Buy 250 in VISA GC get $15 on next trip....Catalana machine wouldn't print it...I read fine print on bottom and it excludes variables. They didn't notice and gave me a $15 Safeway GC.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by slack455
BACK. Kinda sorta. Buy 250 in VISA GC get $15 on next trip....Catalana machine wouldn't print it...I read fine print on bottom and it excludes variables. They didn't notice and gave me a $15 Safeway GC.
Could you post exact wording of the offer?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 6:51 pm

Where did you see such offer?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 6:51 pm

slack455, is there a sign posted at your Safeway? I missed this Weds. flyer in the newspaper. Was it listed there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.