Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Seamless experience: just bought $100 AMEX GC at Safeway. Was charged $105.95 minus $15.00 Just 4 You instant rebate for $90.95 total out of pocket. This transaction did not earn Safeway/ Exxon gas points but will earn 2x grocery miles with United CC.

So, ~180 United miles + $9.05 in savings. Pretty good return.
But now you have to cash out the $100 gc, so some cost there. Or, if you use it for regular spend, then there's lost opportunity cost to consider.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
Got an "ad coupon" today saying that I'd get a $25 off coupon if I buy $150 of participating gift cards (11/20 - 12/3). Look out for the gift rack starting Wednesday for that.
Where did you get the coupon from? A targeted Just 4 U offer? Or the Catalina machine simply spit out the coupon out of the blue when you were buying something?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by farwest101
But now you have to cash out the $100 gc, so some cost there. Or, if you use it for regular spend, then there's lost opportunity cost to consider.
I'd respectfully disagree. I've already gotten 2x miles on the $106 purchase and made $9 via the coupon on a shopping trip I had planned to make. Future use of the $100 GC holds additional mile-earning potential. There's really no significant down-side here that I can reasonable see, especially with a GC that has no monthly or maintenance fees.

Am I missing something?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
This is not a just 4 U coupon. I got this one when I shopped in SW yesterday. In fact the coupon that it printed didn't even have a bar code, so this should be like the current mastercard deal, applicable to every one.

I do not see much value in this (the offer is $25 off the next $50 purchase). I like the $10 off $10 purchase better and the card purchased can be cashed out.

However these gift cards might earn fuel points at 4x I think. That might be another thing to consider. But there is only so much fuel one can buy in a month.

Originally Posted by farwest101
Where did you get the coupon from? A targeted Just 4 U offer? Or the Catalina machine simply spit out the coupon out of the blue when you were buying something?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by rambo
This is not a just 4 U coupon. I got this one when I shopped in SW yesterday. In fact the coupon that it printed didn't even have a bar code, so this should be like the current mastercard deal, applicable to every one.

I do not see much value in this (the offer is $25 off the next $50 purchase). I like the $10 off $10 purchase better and the card purchased can be cashed out.

However these gift cards might earn fuel points at 4x I think. That might be another thing to consider. But there is only so much fuel one can buy in a month.
Thanks. Agree the $10 for $10 is much better.

Anyone interested in buying my $10 Catalina coupons for $6? Got 40 in my wallet at the moment.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Seamless experience: just bought $100 AMEX GC at Safeway. Was charged $105.95 minus $15.00 Just 4 You instant rebate for $90.95 total out of pocket. This transaction did not earn Safeway/ Exxon gas points but will earn 2x grocery miles with United CC.

So, ~180 United miles + $9.05 in savings. Pretty good return.
Interesting, because I bought a $500 variable Amex GC (for $490.95) and earned 20 gas rewards. Now I have too many reward points than I really need. I only fill gas twice a month and we can only use 10 rewards upto $1 @ Chevron, right?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by msnut1
Interesting, because I bought a $500 variable Amex GC (for $490.95) and earned 20 gas rewards. Now I have too many reward points than I really need. I only fill gas twice a month and we can only use 10 rewards upto $1 @ Chevron, right?
You can only use 2 rewards (20 cents / gal) at Chevron. In order to use the 10 rewards at a time you have to fill up at a Vons with a fuel pump.

I drive the 14 miles with 2 X 6 gal gas cans, visiting 3 walmarts on the way, to do so.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
You can only use 2 rewards (20 cents / gal) at Chevron. In order to use the 10 rewards at a time you have to fill up at a Vons with a fuel pump.

I drive the 14 miles with 2 X 6 gal gas cans, visiting 3 walmarts on the way, to do so.
Where I live, we can get up to $1 off/ gallon of gas at a Chevron gas station. Too bad I can't use all the gas rewards in one transaction.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by msnut1
Where I live, we can get up to $1 off/ gallon of gas at a Chevron gas station. Too bad I can't use all the gas rewards in one transaction.
Where is that? The terms I've read only allow $1 at Vons gas stations. Chevron and Texaco are only 20 cents.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Where is that? The terms I've read only allow $1 at Vons gas stations. Chevron and Texaco are only 20 cents.
The Chevrons in my area cap the discount to 20 cents.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:54 pm

dual post
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:55 pm

Safeway (at least here in WA) gives $1 off at Chevron and Texaco.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HikerT
Safeway (at least here in WA) gives $1 off at Chevron and Texaco.
Funky, I wonder if there is some weird WA law that says grocery stores can't have gas stations, therefore, to be fair they extend the $1 to Chevrons. Wish they had that here (especially since I know of no Vons in the area that has a gas station)
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:22 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Funky, I wonder if there is some weird WA law that says grocery stores can't have gas stations, therefore, to be fair they extend the $1 to Chevrons. Wish they had that here (especially since I know of no Vons in the area that has a gas station)
http://www.californiagasprices.com/V...ons/index.aspx
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:35 pm

No, both Safeway and Kroger (aka QFC and Fred Meyer here) have gas stations in WA. I suspect they give $1 off at Chevron/Texaco to compete with Kroger which gives $1 off at Shell. In other states you can usually only get 10 cents off at Shell with Kroger points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.