Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by knopfler
You hope it is the new policy? Is that a typo? Anyway, there are still plenty of variables stocked up in Collin County (north of Dallas).
Sorry, I meant hope its NOT a new policy.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriot LTP, Hyatt Globalist
Hmmm....bad news at my local Safeway here in the East Bay. I went to my usual store this morning and found a store manager removing Visa GC's from the rack. She showed me her memo, and a quick glance showed variable load Visa's were to be removed. I also saw Amazon gift cards on the list (rather lengthy) to be removed, but I didn't see if it was a certain denomination or variables.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by I Fly Delta Jets
Didn't find a single variable GC (neither Visa nor MC) on the rack this morning in TX. I only checked one store though, where I had purchased variables before. I hope this is the new corporate policy.
My local Safeway stores run out & stock up on variables all the time. I'm in a heavy-hitting area though, so it's common for me. I'll sometimes grab a bunch un-activated when they are in-stock, just to have for a rainy day they are out of stock.

So no, I doubt this is any sort of a new policy.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by wcrhkd
Hmmm....bad news at my local Safeway here in the East Bay. I went to my usual store this morning and found a store manager removing Visa GC's from the rack. She showed me her memo, and a quick glance showed variable load Visa's were to be removed. I also saw Amazon gift cards on the list (rather lengthy) to be removed, but I didn't see if it was a certain denomination or variables.
I live in NOVA and found my manager doing the same thing. He was busy helping other customers and I found a box he left near the gc. I was able to pull out 5K of vgc. The rest on top were amazon variable gc. All the visa, mc and amazon variables were pulled. I think he also included itunes variables. I tried another store later in the day and found the racks empty. I did find some on a smaller rack that was missed so I bought some more. I do not understand the logic of pulling the variable amazon. We could just load up on the smaller denominations.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by I Fly Delta Jets
Didn't find a single variable GC (neither Visa nor MC) on the rack this morning in TX. I only checked one store though, where I had purchased variables before.
This may be the same data point, (PM me with your location and we can compare) but I saw them pulling variable cards last night and asked the manager what was going on, and he said they had just gotten a memo that the store was losing money on these and he had to pull them. The way he said it, I was under the impression their particular store was losing money because they had extremely high volume; I wasn't sure if this was chainwide or location-specific. I haven't had the heart to go to another store today to check it out.

I don't know if it is interesting or scary that Safeway owns something like a 96% share in Blackhawk.

Last edited by janetdoe; Jan 19, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Old Jan 19, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
Safeway sold blackhawk in 2014

https://blackhawknetwork.com/blackhawk-comments-on-parent-company-safeways-spin-off-announcement/
Old Jan 19, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by lovenola
Doh! I was poking around in old SEC filings last night and apparently missed the new ones.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I wonder if this had to do with all the gas points they were giving out
Old Jan 19, 2016, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
I wonder if this had to do with all the gas points they were giving out
They already fixed (I think) the glitch with VGC giving gas points.
Maybe it was triggered by the Serve shutdowns; Serve could be loaded from Vanilla at various places; Vanilla is cheaper and not sold at grocery stores; now many people are switching to MOs, which are harder to get with Vanilla, so there was probably a big increase in VGC purchases at grocery stores.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Can confirm here. They're gone.

Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:42 pm

Can also confirm. Manager said he got a corporate directive to have them removed by 11am today. Related: visited the shoppers down the road and vgc/mcgc/agc had all been removed.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:53 pm

All my local stores (Jewel) pulled the variable cards off the shelves.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Texas based Safeway owned Tom Thumb stores have pulled all variable load VGCs, MCGCs and AGCs. Claim is they weren't profitable. Fixed value cards remain but aren't profitable for MS purposes at $5.95 per $100.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:02 pm

For comparison, Cub Foods stores in MN (Supervalu) also pulled the VGCs, MCGCs, and AGCs off the racks over the the weekend and included a sign that they are working to get them back as soon as possible.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:04 pm

YMMV.

Last edited by Chelski; Feb 7, 2016 at 6:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.