Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by cashback
Be careful with MPs. I wont touch them anymore. I've had cards not activated properly and GD makes it a pain to get back. I know of one guy who had 2 GD cards not activated and never got it back (1K).

GD is a terrible terrible company.

Read the last couple pages of this...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...oneypak-5.html
thanks. we shall see what happens. I do one card at a time. no issues yet. /me knocks on wood.

Luckily I can buy visa gc at my c.v...
Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by godsquare
It seems like we can reload GB at 7-11 now.
Cash, yes. Has anyone tried anything else?
Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Cash, yes. Has anyone tried anything else?
I would be *very* surprised if 7-11 didn't allow debit...in fact encourage it.
Do you think 7-11 wants the liability of having the potential of thousands of extra dollars cash lying around?

This is just a hunch though...please everyone report back about loads done at 7-11. I'm interested to just know the process.

Oh - if only BB allowed 7-11 loads things would be so much easier for me
Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by BenH
I would be *very* surprised if 7-11 didn't allow debit...in fact encourage it.
Do you think 7-11 wants the liability of having the potential of thousands of extra dollars cash lying around?
I agree with your logic, but with this logic, why would any places be cash only for GC/MO's?
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by cashback
I agree with your logic, but with this logic, why would any places be cash only for GC/MO's?
True...although most places don't have people like us coming in and buying tens of thousands a day. I'm sure in most stores, they sell maybe a couple hundred dollars of GCs a day.

Perhaps it is just the stereo-type of 7-11s getting robbed as opposed to CVS or a supermarket.

I don't buy GCs at 7-11 because none of them around me qualify as gas stations...so I don't know what their policy was in terms of maximum # per day.

But, with GB, they potentially can have another few K in cash laying around if a handful of users load it. Seems like a risky proposition to add on.

All conjecture though...be interested to see what we all find out.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Two days of max daily load (and immediate bill pay) were all it took for account closure, lol. And the account has only been opened for a little more than 2 weeks. I'd still hit it hard again if there's another chance.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by lad2
Two days of max daily load (and immediate bill pay) were all it took for account closure, lol. And the account has only been opened for a little more than 2 weeks. I'd still hit it hard again if there's another chance.
Wow.2 weeks. That beats my 19 days.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by lad2
i don't understand the logic of doing it like this. once they shut you down, they are NOT like the @h..... at accountnow. you can still sign in and get your money or go get money orders/whatever- you just can't add $. so, sure.... hit it hard, but the immediate bill pay, i would imagine, got you shut quicker than if you had taken 7-10 days to load 10-20k or whatever until you were shut down.

i think you're leaving $ on the table going this route. i was able to billpay 15k out a full 5 days after i was shut down. if not, i would have been on a money order buying spree vs waiting for a check that size.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
i don't understand the logic of doing it like this. once they shut you down, they are NOT like the @h..... at accountnow. you can still sign in and get your money or go get money orders/whatever- you just can't add $. so, sure.... hit it hard, but the immediate bill pay, i would imagine, got you shut quicker than if you had taken 7-10 days to load 10-20k or whatever until you were shut down.

i think you're leaving $ on the table going this route. i was able to billpay 15k out a full 5 days after i was shut down. if not, i would have been on a money order buying spree vs waiting for a check that size.
I see your point. But when dealing with GreenDot, I prefer taking my money out as soon and as much as possible.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Account was closed today. I've been making 5k a month in deposits for four months, all $500 gc via a kiosk. I was voluntarily paying them $1 a month, which they just pulled out two days ago.

Any idea if ACH pulls FROM my GoBank account will still be approved? I have one pending that has been processed by my bank but that hasn't yet posted to my GoBank account.

Last edited by CMHFlyerOH; Oct 4, 2013 at 5:25 pm
Old Oct 4, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical

I disagree. Go back in the thread and the most consistent trigger seems to be GC loads at WM. Also as to when you get shutdown - it seems to be mostly on 'whenever they do a sweep'. I'd guess they process as many as they can be bothered to do (manual review) and then move on.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:26 pm

$2500+$2000/$2500+$2000, two accounts, immediate bill pay after the load.

All the loads w/CGCs at wally.

Left $1 on each account.

Let's see how long it will last.

Alive for now.

In any case, $9K for my msr and liquidating CGCs. Thank you, Gobank.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:19 am
Original Member

Gift card load to GoBank

I have read tons and tons of posts in several threads, and I guess I am an idiot but I have some questions. I bought the Vanilla gift/debit cards with pin. I want to load it to my GoBank card at the Walmart kiosk. I tried and I could not figure out how to do it! I pushed "moneycard" and could not figure it out from there. You all make it sound so easy, but I guess its confusing to me and I would prefer not to use a live cashier. I have already purchased enough MO's there too and don't want to deposit any others in my checking acct!. Can anyone do a simple step by step for me? I want to be able to make some small purchases and a few ATM withdrawls. I am buying the gift cards to get my spend up on a few credit cards. I have maxed out my Bluebird with VR's this month. I know that I may get shut down by GoBank by loading debit cards, but I just need this to happen for a short, short while to meet a deadline. Any help appreciated.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by cmwdjw
I have read tons and tons of posts in several threads, and I guess I am an idiot but I have some questions. I bought the Vanilla gift/debit cards with pin. I want to load it to my GoBank card at the Walmart kiosk. I tried and I could not figure out how to do it! I pushed "moneycard" and could not figure it out from there. You all make it sound so easy, but I guess its confusing to me and I would prefer not to use a live cashier. I have already purchased enough MO's there too and don't want to deposit any others in my checking acct!. Can anyone do a simple step by step for me? I want to be able to make some small purchases and a few ATM withdrawls. I am buying the gift cards to get my spend up on a few credit cards. I have maxed out my Bluebird with VR's this month. I know that I may get shut down by GoBank by loading debit cards, but I just need this to happen for a short, short while to meet a deadline. Any help appreciated.
This guide is for loading bluebird, but gobank is very similar. Note that gobank will shut you down without warning if you do a lot of loading at kiosks.

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/0...al-mart-kiosk/
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:22 pm

closed

Roughly 7.5K ...always zeroed out before loading. Multiple visa loads was the culprit for sure.. (did 25*100 loads yesterday, kiosk)

Any way to open another one 1 Month and 3 days here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.