$6000 every rolling 12 months

Withdraw limits:
1 free withdrawal per calendar month
Print Wikipost

AmEx Prepaid Campus Edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton
BoA ATMs allow people to deposit the cash back into their BoA checking account at the ATM. However, you will still get charged the ATM fee. The cheapest I have found so far is at Costco where you get charged $1.25 per withdrawal.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The ability to immediately deposit the cash into your Bank of America account at the same ATM used to withdraw it from the prepaid card. I don't see anything suggesting that Bank of America will not charge for the withdrawal.
Can't you do that at most ATMs?

Besides Costco, any cheap ATM options?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
1. Haven't tried, and I wouldn't recommend using it with an AMEX because you can use the Citi Forward which earns 5x at bookstores....
Does Citi have a higher tolerance for 'churn' than Chase? I could see myself loading/draining about 2k per week loading a couple Amex campus card for a haul of 10k TYP per week - but while Chase or even Amex would shut that down in a heartbeat, how would Citi react to that dollar flow at a B+N campus bookstore, where the card was intended for its best use?

Second question - I can't find details on the Citi Thank You Points program for flight awards, and without an account, I can't log on to search for flights, so perhaps someone can answer these questions:

How many points are required for a Business Class ticket (on a *A carrier) to Asia from North America? Are these tickets 'revenue tickets' on the airline that earn airline frequent flyer miles?

If I needed, say 180,000 TYP for that ticket, it would cost me roughly 18 weeks of 2k/wk spend to hit those targets, although with frequent payments made to Citi to pay off the balance.

The B+N loads would cost me:
180,000pts/5=36000 in spend
36,000/500=72 loads
72 loads * 3.95 = 284.40
ATM fees:
AX$2+Costco$1.25=.3.25 per $400 out
ATM withdraws to drain 36000/400
90*3.25 = 292.50

Total cost for the Business Class ticket is $576.90

Can anyone poke a hole in my theory? I might end up getting 3 Amex campus cards with family SSN's to keep Amex off my behind with the constant load/drain cycles and allow me to compress the cash flow into fewer trips to the B+N and ATM.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Does Citi have a higher tolerance for 'churn' than Chase? I could see myself loading/draining about 2k per week loading a couple Amex campus card for a haul of 10k TYP per week - but while Chase or even Amex would shut that down in a heartbeat, how would Citi react to that dollar flow at a B+N campus bookstore, where the card was intended for its best use?

Second question - I can't find details on the Citi Thank You Points program for flight awards, and without an account, I can't log on to search for flights, so perhaps someone can answer these questions:

How many points are required for a Business Class ticket (on a *A carrier) to Asia from North America? Are these tickets 'revenue tickets' on the airline that earn airline frequent flyer miles?

If I needed, say 180,000 TYP for that ticket, it would cost me roughly 18 weeks of 2k/wk spend to hit those targets, although with frequent payments made to Citi to pay off the balance.

36,000/500=72 loads
72 loads * 3.95 = 284.40
ATM fees:
90*3.25 = 292.50

Can anyone poke a hole in my theory? I might end up getting 3 Amex campus cards with family SSN's to keep Amex off my behind with the constant load/drain cycles and allow me to compress the cash flow into fewer trips to the B+N and ATM.
Unfortunately, you can only load $1000 max per month onto each amex campus card. Even with 3 cards, it would still take you almost a year to get the number of thank you points you need.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nep301
Unfortunately, you can only load $1000 max per month onto each amex campus card. Even with 3 cards, it would still take you almost a year to get the number of thank you points you need.
I thought the Amex card couldn't have more than a balance of 1k, but if drained, you could continually load funds 500 at a time provided the balance remained at or below 1k.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:34 am

I thought the Amex card couldn't have more than a balance of 1k, but if drained, you could continually load funds 500 at a time provided the balance remained at or below 1k.
According to the FAQ, "You can add money to your Card using bank account or cash until your balance equals $1,000, or using Direct Deposit until your balance equals $5,000. The maximum amount you may load to the Card in any month is $1,000 (bank account or cash); $5,000 (Direct Deposit)."

http://www.americanexpress.com/us/co...tion/faqs.html

All other Amex prepaids have a monthly load limit as well so I don't see why this product wouldn't
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:07 pm

how are you guys loading from CC? I only see an option to load via bank acct or direct deposit.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kvs25
how are you guys loading from CC? I only see an option to load via bank acct or direct deposit.
You have to go to a Barnes&Noble Campus Store.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
This card is a good "last resort" card to make spend if you can't do it through VRs or Target Amex.

Mike
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:28 pm
Used to be 'captainjeffrey'

Went by my B&N today to do the monthly Campus Card reload, and a system error occurred. Perplexed staff person found a manager.

I was told there is a store wide hold on all sales and loads. Apparently there was a massive thief/scam issue on the "Starter Cards" using stolen credit cards. Under-trained Campus Staff was probably caught unawares.

No starter cards on the shelves, no reloads, and no word on when stuff will be unfrozen.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:19 pm

36,000/500=72 loads
72 loads * 3.95 = 284.40
ATM fees:
90*3.25 = 292.50

Max load per calendar year is $6000.

EDIT: Also for loading it's every 28 days on the 1k limit
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by jm38750n
Max load per calendar year is $6000.

EDIT: Also for loading it's every 28 days on the 1k limit
My approach was to use the throw-away cards - no ATM access, but they can be loaded with 500 and then converted to VR and BB balances.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I heard a rumor that there was some difficulty loading this at a bookstore with a CC. Has this been resolved? I just received mine in the mail today.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I heard a rumor that there was some difficulty loading this at a bookstore with a CC. Has this been resolved? I just received mine in the mail today.
I wasn't able to on Wednesday. I've done it 3 or 4 times at my usual location and its always a hassle. Wednesday the manager insisted the card isn't reloadable. A couple of the cashiers who had done reloads for me intervened but they still couldn't manage to load it.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Slickw
I wasn't able to on Wednesday. I've done it 3 or 4 times at my usual location and its always a hassle. Wednesday the manager insisted the card isn't reloadable. A couple of the cashiers who had done reloads for me intervened but they still couldn't manage to load it.
I appreciate the response. I'm assuming they have a bunch of issues and are still withholding people from using it for a while then. The place I need to go to is far away, so this saved me a trip. I'm glad I don't have any money sitting on this card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.