FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx Prepaid Campus Edition (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1419997-amex-prepaid-campus-edition.html)

CBS9000 Dec 21, 2012 7:27 pm

AmEx Prepaid Campus Edition

I did a few searches but could not find a thread dedicated to this card.
Frequent Miler posted about it in October and I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with the AmEx prepaid campus card. Two questions in particular

1. Has anyone reloaded the card with AmEx credit cards or would this be not advised due to increased risk of Financial Review

2. More generally, what ATMs/ATM networks are recommended for pulling money of prepaid cards with minimal fees?

cardinalkid1891 Dec 21, 2012 8:57 pm

1. Haven't tried, and I wouldn't recommend using it with an AMEX because you can use the Citi Forward which earns 5x at bookstores.

2. Costco's ATMs charge $1.25, Bank of America charges $2. There are few surcharge free ATMs out there, and the ones that are surcharge free aren't usually in a wide area or network.

augustus21 Dec 21, 2012 9:04 pm

I have the card, but I use a Chase card to reload it, so I cannot comment on using AmEx cards. BofA ATMs allow checking/savings customers to deposit cash directly into their accounts, so I'm able to withdraw cash from the prepaid card and deposit it straight into my checking account. The card has some key limitations: one free ATM withdrawal/month, $500 load at a time, $1,000 limit, $400 withdrawal limit.

CBS9000 Dec 22, 2012 8:24 am

Originally Posted by augustus21 (Post 19903519)
I have the card, but I use a Chase card to reload it, so I cannot comment on using AmEx cards. BofA ATMs allow checking/savings customers to deposit cash directly into their accounts, so I'm able to withdraw cash from the prepaid card and deposit it straight into my checking account. The card has some key limitations: one free ATM withdrawal/month, $500 load at a time, $1,000 limit, $400 withdrawal limit.

I have a BofA account as well--am I correct in understanding that you can pull directly from the AmEx Campus to my BofA account through a BofA ATM? Or do I need to use the teller for that?

CBS9000 Dec 22, 2012 8:26 am

Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891 (Post 19903500)
1. Haven't tried, and I wouldn't recommend using it with an AMEX because you can use the Citi Forward which earns 5x at bookstores.

Are you saying you wouldn't recommend using AmEx purely because of the opportunity cost? I don't go after Citi TY points, and thus don't have the Forward card.

I'm just wondering if it would be "safe" to use AmEx, as I'm trying to meet some spend thresholds.

cardinalkid1891 Dec 22, 2012 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by CBS9000 (Post 19905106)
Are you saying you wouldn't recommend using AmEx purely because of the opportunity cost? I don't go after Citi TY points, and thus don't have the Forward card.

I'm just wondering if it would be "safe" to use AmEx, as I'm trying to meet some spend thresholds.

Yeah, that's all i'm saying. I'd rather earn 5x cash back over 1 or 2 miles. I think it would be safe to use AmEx as many people have used it on other prepaid products without any trouble. The only thing to worry about is a FR, but that could happen to anyone really.

augustus21 Dec 28, 2012 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by CBS9000 (Post 19905101)
I have a BofA account as well--am I correct in understanding that you can pull directly from the AmEx Campus to my BofA account through a BofA ATM? Or do I need to use the teller for that?

Go to a BofA ATM and withdraw funds as you normally would. Then, insert your debit card and make a cash deposit using the cash you just withdrew from your Amex Campus Edition. BofA tellers cannot cash advance Amex cards, so don't bother.

SegaRob Mar 5, 2013 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by augustus21 (Post 19935994)
Go to a BofA ATM and withdraw funds as you normally would. Then, insert your debit card and make a cash deposit using the cash you just withdrew from your Amex Campus Edition. BofA tellers cannot cash advance Amex cards, so don't bother.

How does the ATM know to link the transactions and not charge a fee on the withdrawal?

mia Mar 6, 2013 8:49 am

Originally Posted by SegaRob (Post 20367436)
How does the ATM know to link the transactions and not charge a fee on the withdrawal?

Welcome to Flyertalk.

The one free ATM withdrawal means that American Express will not charge a fee for the first ATM transaction each month. It does not mean that the ATM operator will waive its fee.

nep301 Mar 6, 2013 11:13 am

Now that the US Bank Cash+ offers 5% back on bookstores next quarter, its an easy $50 per month in cashback loading the amex campus edition. Of course, you will still pay $3 to load each time and then any atm fees, but you are still coming out ahead.

SegaRob Mar 6, 2013 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 20370683)
Welcome to Flyertalk.

The one free ATM withdrawal means that American Express will not charge a fee for the first ATM transaction each month. It does not mean that the ATM operator will waive its fee.

The OP asked about where to get cheap ATM withdrawal. The person implied there was a cheap way through BOA. Otherwise why would you use BOA instead of any other bank? I'm still looking for cheap ATM to withdraw.

jeckll Mar 6, 2013 7:49 pm

Why use this when you can use Target? 500 max load vs 1000 max load...

mia Mar 7, 2013 8:17 am

Originally Posted by SegaRob (Post 20373787)
... Otherwise why would you use BOA instead of any other bank?

The ability to immediately deposit the cash into your Bank of America account at the same ATM used to withdraw it from the prepaid card. I don't see anything suggesting that Bank of America will not charge for the withdrawal.

amolkold Mar 8, 2013 1:37 am

Originally Posted by jeckll (Post 20374521)
Why use this when you can use Target? 500 max load vs 1000 max load...

Category bonuses.

LBJFlight23 Mar 8, 2013 8:09 am

i got this ordered to use with my us bank. what are people saying about boa withdrawals for cash? i'm not following..