Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:37 pm

quick question......you folks having success initiating payment of bills on the biller side?.....just wondering I have reason that comes in handy at times.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by greek2me
Thanks, but think better to save AP capacity for CCs directly.
Actually, I wouldn't use AP for BB charges...if you can link it, means you can withdraw money to BB, which counts as direct deposit. Also, if it works (i'm testing, but not too optimistic), you could pull money into AP from BB and then pay it to somebody else, with no $1k limit b/c you are funding it from a checking account, not a credit card. Given that pulling money didn't work with my car loan, i don't see this working, but it's linked a different way (with test deposits).
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
i can believe it... but i wonder why the hell do they stock them then? they must be giving access to something else but what??
My guess is OD initially got promotional money from AMEX to put the cardboard displays with the AMEX cards and the vanilla reloads in the stores. There may be some promotional money the OD home office still receives for continuing the relationship. If the cards were very profitable for OD they would make sure they had them in stock. The racks would be sagging from the weight of the inventory. They'd have bins of vanilla reload cards that you would have to push past when you walked in the door. There would be a greeter person asking you if you would like to buy a vanilla reload card today. They'd have them at the checkout as impulse items. And so on. That's my take on it.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
i can believe it... but i wonder why the hell do they stock them then? they must be giving access to something else but what??
Good question so here is what I know for sure. Like reported by others who have talked to GM's they are stocked by a vendor. Typically the sale of the last card in store triggered an order by computer system. When stores were empty some and only some managers took it upon themselves to make contact and try or did up delivery. I think the unfortunate thing is the limiting by some stores and some managers or staff to one only to keep them in stock.. They may be continuing to sell at a loss with most sales now at max of 500 load when perhaps in the past loads were much less on average. Time will tell but CC sources I don't think are long term overall for buying them. Just my 2 cents OD will be first to go
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:43 pm

Pretty sure all industries are like this, I work in telecom now. We have to carry Disney VOD in order to continue to carry ESPN. There's a below 1% take rate on Disney VOD, and we make no money on it. ESPN is the most expensive channel on basic cable, and it comes with lots of luggage in the form of other channels you must carry. But you have to have it, or people won't use your service.

It's been a very long time since I worked in retail, but I remember us having to stock crappy products that we lost money on in order to carry the ones that made us money. We had to set up a "direct from Compaq" kiosk which we made nothing on in order to carry their computers. We had to have a dedicated Sony display to carry their products. All sorts of stuff was tied to something else. All or nothing, that's how vendors pawn off their crappy stuff and get them into stores.

Incomm claims to be the industry leader in gift cards. So maybe they provide OD with the ability to have their own branded GC's, possibly at a discount.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Corridor!
I would never speculate that a story is fabricated; however it is still hearsay. You can believe what you want. I am a skeptic until I see definitive evidence.
Didn't say I believe or don't believe, just happened to be the most recent posting about a possible closure that I could recall seeing.

Originally Posted by Stoughton
I know they close accounts - that's not in question. Rather the idea that they called and asked to see a copy of a receipt - that's simply absurd.
Guess you'll have to take that debate up with leftpinky
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:47 pm

I used Pay Bills from my BB account to pay my wives Kohl's and Lowe's card. Both payments went through and were confirmed.

It appears you can pay other people's bills. At least if they have the same last name.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: As many as I can!
It appears you can pay other people's bills. At least if they have the same last name.
Different last names work as well - just like they do for almost any electronic bill payment system!
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by ricohitman
Freedom 5x groceries...cha-ching.
Where is this stated?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by ddallas
My guess is OD initially got promotional money from AMEX to put the cardboard displays with the AMEX cards and the vanilla reloads in the stores. There may be some promotional money the OD home office still receives for continuing the relationship. If the cards were very profitable for OD they would make sure they had them in stock. The racks would be sagging from the weight of the inventory. They'd have bins of vanilla reload cards that you would have to push past when you walked in the door. There would be a greeter person asking you if you would like to buy a vanilla reload card today. They'd have them at the checkout as impulse items. And so on. That's my take on it.
+1 awesome.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by SGJazz
Where is this stated?
It's not currently going on, but they typically offer 5x groceries during one of the quarters.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
And the Amex Hilton cards are always 6X at grocery stores.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Walmart and many other's were added. Indeed, interesting. Nice Find.
Anybody know - does Wally take plastic for vanilla reload purchases? I'd rather have 5x at OD, but they're sparse. I'd happily take 1x at Wallyworld if I could use any CC to but 'em.

Guess I'll be heading out to Wallyworld tomorrow to find out.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Anybody know - does Wally take plastic for vanilla reload purchases? I'd rather have 5x at OD, but they're sparse. I'd happily take 1x at Wallyworld if I could use any CC to but 'em.

Guess I'll be heading out to Wallyworld tomorrow to find out.
I didn't see any reloads at my WM, just the ppd. gift cards. I'll be interested to hear if you have better luck.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: All main US FF programs basic level
Called two days after web application, was approved and even given a credit line after 20-30 minute interview with a number of annoying questions. Called 10 days later to see why card was still not here and was told that application was pending! Seems like others have been having such a problem too per one of the threads in the credit card section of these forums, so make sure to call twice if the card is not here 10 days after application. Called a third time yesterday and was told that the delay could be because of the hurricane

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Have you called the reconsideration number yet? If not, call now. Be prepared to answer questions about your 'business' and potentially roll credit around if you have other chase cards. But I wouldn't continue to just wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.