Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by ricohitman
Oh my...this game just keeps getting better and better.

Freedom 5x groceries...cha-ching.
Holy Crap Batman if that is right it would be like Tony Montana saying the World
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by liw5215
just loaded some beans into PPC at www.vanillareload.com/, noticed the location dropdown has been expanded, now it includes W-mart. very interesting.
Lot of gas stations on there, several cards give 2x or more at gas stations, not as lucrative as 5x obviously, but i'll take it. Might get some calls as to why you are spending $10K on gas, though.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
And...I successfully linked my BB account to Amzn pmts, so...might be useful to some.
Thanks, but think better to save AP capacity for CCs directly.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
I posted on this last night on a different thread: Our neighborhood WMs and Super WMs were both classed as grocery purchases 2nd quarter when I maxed out my Chase Freedom 5X category bonus. And what did I mainly buy to max out the bonus? GCs. I saw my first Vanilla MC GC ever at WM last night that you can load to $500 too.

Interesting this development coincides with Amex's cap on 6% blue preferred earnings happening this month. Almost like they saw this coming...
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Preacher7
I posted on this last night on a different thread: Our neighborhood WMs and Super WMs were both classed as grocery purchases 2nd quarter when I maxed out my Chase Freedom 5X category bonus. And what did I mainly buy to max out the bonus? GCs.
some of the smaller wal-marts get classed as groceries. you just have to experiment to find
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 84fiero
In fact people have been questioned, and even shut down by Chase, for much, much less OD spending than that. There is a recent post either upthread on this or in the "Getting Spending Up..." thread from someone who got a call after a $1K spend, asked for receipts of what he bought, etc.
No, someone claimed they got a call.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Problem is here, it is KNOWN that some of the "keep it all secret" brigade create fake stories of account shut-downs to try and scare off newbies from participating. So I am going to take it all with a big dose of salt until there are consistent reports. Common sense will guide me in the interim.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by liw5215
just loaded some beans into PPC at www.vanillareload.com/, noticed the location dropdown has been expanded, now it includes W-mart. very interesting.
Eh, don't get too excited just yet. They've been at Walgreens forever and those are all over the damn place, yet hardly any (if any at all anymore) will let you buy it with a CC.

Finding reloads has never been a problem, it's finding ones that are worth buying
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Problem is here, it is KNOWN that some of the "keep it all secret" brigade create fake stories of account shut-downs to try and scare off newbies from participating. So I am going to take it all with a big dose of salt until there are consistent reports. Common sense will guide me in the interim.
+1. It is so dishonest to me for people to put out these shut down reports with no real details. Either you pushed it way too far and knew it, or it's a complete fabrication. Don't waste your time getting mad about people blowing up your method or blogs doing step by step instructions, move on to the next thing. New opportunities are around every corner.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
+1. It is so dishonest to me for people to put out these shut down reports with no real details. Either you pushed it way too far and knew it, or it's a complete fabrication. Don't waste your time getting mad about people blowing up your method or blogs doing step by step instructions, move on to the next thing. New opportunities are around every corner.
THere is a lot of fabrication of shutdowns here / in the commentary on blogs. likely by the same people

Over on slickdeals/fatwallet, the spirit is more share/abuse/shutdown quickly and i trust the reports more. That is where the chase aarp reports started surfacing and that was real.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I've been intrigued by this thread because there seems to be an assumption this is turning into a zero sum

Office Depot? A store stocks a product to sell it. If cards are flying off their shelves faster, although there may be an initial delay in restocking, OD will want more, not less of a hot-selling product--unless, of course, OD has decided to repeal the law of supply and demand. Now, the effects of that law may lead to an increase in the price OD charges for cards, but if it's $3.95 per $500 now, I wouldn't expect that price to jump immediately to $7.95, although it might get there eventually. And although less of a good deal at that price, it still seems worthwhile for the UR bonus you'd get.

Chase? The biggest problem is obviously here. Circular use of Chase's money to fund and pay will definitely raise their ire, but that's a matter that they may choose to handle by individual account action, not a broad slashing of a benefit. And absent circular abuse, what's the difference to Chase? They already have an arrangement that recognizes that items purchased at OD (as well as other office supply stores) will result in 5X UR points--no matter whether you purchase a computer, a printer, candy bars at the register, or gift cards.

Abuse could possibly result in Chase deciding to take a broad brush rather than an individual approach to this matter. For the other three players in the game, so long as they are making money off the sales ...

The rest of it looks like tin foil hat nonsense to me. . .
I think what you are missing here is that OD is NOT making money of the beans. The GM of the store in my town where I am well known and he would not lie to me told me they LOSE money selling them because the CC fee they pay is higher than the fee they get for selling them. Just sayin why some have gone to limit one
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
I think what you are missing here is that OD is NOT making money of the beans. The GM of the store in my town where I am well known and he would not lie to me told me they LOSE money selling them because the CC fee they pay is higher than the fee they get for selling them. Just sayin why some have gone to limit one
i can believe it... but i wonder why the hell do they stock them then? they must be giving access to something else but what??
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
THere is a lot of fabrication of shutdowns here / in the commentary on blogs. likely by the same people

Over on slickdeals/fatwallet, the spirit is more share/abuse/shutdown quickly and i trust the reports more. That is where the chase aarp reports started surfacing and that was real.
Likewise, but the AARP was much easier to abuse than this could ever be.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Yes, well, one could say that about every personal anecdote posted on FT, or anywhere online. Perhaps you could PM the poster and challenge him to prove it.

My point was, the worry over whether "cycling" is going to draw Chase's ire seems misplaced compared to the potential for being slammed by Chase for "perk abuse". There are enough accounts of similar situations on FT, MP, etc that something is happening. Frequent Miler is certainly credible and has run several posts about Chase closures and thoughts about it. The AARP card debacle is certainly evidence of what Chase can do in similar circumstances.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...5x-whats-safe/

Last edited by 84fiero; Nov 1, 2012 at 8:35 pm
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Yes, well, one could say that about every personal anecdote posted on FT, or anywhere online. Perhaps you could PM the poster and challenge him to prove it.

My point was, the worry over whether "cycling" is going to draw Chase's ire seems misplaced compared to the potential for being slammed by Chase for "perk abuse". There are enough accounts of similar situations on FT, MP, etc that something is happening. Frequent Miler is certainly credible and has run several posts about Chase closures and thoughts about it. The AARP card debacle is certainly evidence of what Chase can do in similar circumstances.
I know they close accounts - that's not in question. Rather the idea that they called and asked to see a copy of a receipt - that's simply absurd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.