Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
That was my question as well. OD makes $3.95 on the sale of the card...but then has to pay ~$10 in merchant fees when someone swipes their credit card (on a $500 gift card.) Obviously there's something else going on behind the scenes or they wouldn't be selling any kind of GC in the first place.
It's common for "normal" gift cards to have some kickback to the seller. How much is questionable, but probably enough to put it in line with the typical minimal profit margin many of these places have.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
without any inside insight into how the pricing and mechanics of all these pre-paids work we can only speculate on who is winning and who is losing in these games. however what is for sure is that with the huge spike in volume since this deal got publicized we are going to find out pretty soon who is hurting the most as whoever it is will make some kind of change. office depot, vanilla or amex are going to puke pretty quickly
I don't see it being Amex. They don't feel it if you buy via CC or cash other than if you use their CC to buy. They can be surgical in killing BB accounts if someone proves to be an issue.

Vanilla shouldn't care unless the fees are passed on to them or if loss via fraud comes back on them, but I suspect that's more OD's issue
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher7
All purchases from Super Wal-Marts and Neighborhood Wal-Marts are always classed as Grocery by Chase, I know that from previously this year during the Freedom 5X category bonus. Pretty sure Amex will class it as the same. We've done all our grocery shopping at WM for over a decade. Is it unusual for WMs not to sell groceries? I'm serious. I've never seen a WM in the US that doesn't sell groceries. In Canada, yes, but not south of the 49th.
Does SuperTarget get coded as groceries as well? I haven't been in a while, and can't find a transaction on my statement.
----

In some areas they have wal-marts that are "neighbor" grocery stores (AKA: Walmart market).
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Stoughton
I don't see it being Amex. They don't feel it if you buy via CC or cash other than if you use their CC to buy. They can be surgical in killing BB accounts if someone proves to be an issue.

Vanilla shouldn't care unless the fees are passed on to them or if loss via fraud comes back on them, but I suspect that's more OD's issue
like i say we can only really speculate. but one or more of them is feeling pain right now and we are sure to see the consequences sooner or later. probably sooner
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by johndoe123
If you want to risk having your account shut down -- that acct is supposed to be deposit only.
Wouldn't that just be using BB as a checking account? Not sure why that would raise any flags.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sponge9
Wouldn't that just be using BB as a checking account? Not sure why that would raise any flags.
There's some thought that having $ pulled by the biller, vs pushed by BB, can trigger problems. I think we're still far too early into this to know for sure.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
Seems to me that the 2 huge weaknesses here are Chase and OD.

The Chase "problem" is obvious. The 5x points at office supply stores is obviously a "come on" offer for their Ink card. It's a loss leader. They probably figure a "typical" small business would be spending 50 bucks/month at stores like OD. Now, suddenly, many folks are spending thousands of dollars every month at OD. There's no way Chase is making money on those transactions by paying out 5x points.

But there could be a similar problem with OD. Does anybody know what profit a merchant gets on gift cards? I assume there's money to be made or the stores wouldn't carry them. But if you pay for the cards by credit card (like Ink), the store has to pay a credit card fee. So I'm wondering if OD actually makes money on this booming business in Vanilla reload cards.
But, you get the deeper point on this, right? Although we can't imagine the business model that makes this work for OD, the business model probably assumes the more you sell, the better off you are (for the moment, I'm assuming the OD/Vanilla relationship doesn't echo the business model in The Producers). I can't imagine OD selling a few of these cards just to lose a little bit of money. What's the advantage? If you're simply losing more money by selling a lot, there would be no advantage. I understand the concept of a loss leader, but a loss leader generally implies a sufficient demand for a product that you're hoping to make money on other sales by getting folks in your door to buy the loss leader. I don't see Vanilla having that cachet here.

Regarding Chase, I doubt seriously that Chase expects any honest-to-goodness business (not FT businesses whose sole apparent business plan is getting business cards in order to double dip on signup bonuses and whose sole employee is the cardholder) to spend only $50 per month at Office Depot. When I was a partner in a law firm with approximately fifty employees, we spent hundreds per month just on stationery products. That doesn't count the potentially bigger items that OD would love to sell you, like office furniture, copiers, and computers. I just don't believe that Chase is afraid of too many UR points being given out, but they're definitely going to examine circular use of the card that doesn't reflect real demand.

The viability of the business model for OD or Vanilla will matter in the long run. In the mid-term, it's still likely that more cards will end up in the stores because the demand is there.

The 5X promotion from Chase could go away because of abuse. The cards themselves or the ability to continue to buy from OD with credit will depend on the viability of the business plan, not on whether 50 people or 5000 people buy these cards.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I've been intrigued by this thread . . .

Chase? The biggest problem is obviously here. Circular use of Chase's money to fund and pay will definitely raise their ire, but that's a matter that they may choose to handle by individual account action, not a broad slashing of a benefit. And absent circular abuse, what's the difference to Chase? They already have an arrangement that recognizes that items purchased at OD (as well as other office supply stores) will result in 5X UR points--no matter whether you purchase a computer, a printer, candy bars at the register, or gift cards.
If you could prove that the amount you put on the Vanilla was transferred to a BB and then spent at merchants or for bill pay would Chase have any reason to be bothered a) even if you went for the allowable maximums? b) Even if there was an equal or nearly equal amount of diverse spending placed on the card? c) What if none of it had anything to prove it was related to your business?

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
That was my question as well. OD makes $3.95 on the sale of the card...but then has to pay ~$10 in merchant fees when someone swipes their credit card (on a $500 gift card.) Obviously there's something else going on behind the scenes or they wouldn't be selling any kind of GC in the first place.
Are we sure OD pays the same fee to Chase for the purchase of a GC as it does for a printer? Think about the mark up on the printer (profit) vs. no mark up (profit) on a GC.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
There's some thought that having $ pulled by the biller, vs pushed by BB, can trigger problems. I think we're still far too early into this to know for sure.
Well, I pulled my car payment yesterday. I'll let you know if I get closed. I don't see why they would care.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:59 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
Well, I pulled my car payment yesterday. I'll let you know if I get closed. I don't see why they would care.
ha... I hope not. I'm getting ready to pay my mortgage next week with it.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
Then maybe you need glasses.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Maybe its just me, but I don't get the concern about "circular" use with Chase. It's not like they administer BB, so they wouldn't know how your card gets funded. They don't know, though they can certainly guess, that all you're buying at OD are reloads. They only know that you spent $X amount at OD, and you're bill paying $X through a bill pay service. I don't see how this action alone would warrant a closer inspection of one's account.. it's what they'd expect from a normal cardholder, isn't it?

Now, say if you were paying off an AMEX card with BB, I could see where that circle could potentially cause some trouble, but not when you're going between two different banking entities.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gardengirl
Are we sure OD pays the same fee to Chase for the purchase of a GC as it does for a printer? Think about the mark up on the printer (profit) vs. no mark up (profit) on a GC.
Pretty sure the merchant agreement that OD or any other vendor has with a credit card company has them paying the same % per swipe, regardless of mark up of the items sold. I mean, if you're the credit card company it's not your job to worry about how much profit the store is making per transaction, right? And how could a credit card company possibly police that? That said, it's possible GC fall under some other type of arrangement. Even so, at only 1% OD would still be losing money on every $500 vanilla card charged, so I do wonder how they make money on these. There's got to be something else going on.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:23 pm

Money cannot be "pulled"

Having money pulled from your account to pay your mortgage or car loan does not work. I thought it could be done, went through everything and it seemed to work, but yesterday the funds still had not gone out of my BB account. I called and spoke to them and they said it was for deposit only, you could not give them the direct deposit info and have the funds "pulled" to make a payment. Today, the funds automatically came back out of my loan payment account. I submitted a normal "pay bills" payment to my auto loan and it looks like it will be drafted via ACH today and post tomorrow, so no biggie. Just wanted to let everybody know of my experience.

And...I successfully linked my BB account to Amzn pmts, so...might be useful to some.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by y2chen
Maybe its just me, but I don't get the concern about "circular" use with Chase. It's not like they administer BB, so they wouldn't know how your card gets funded. They don't know, though they can certainly guess, that all you're buying at OD are reloads. They only know that you spent $X amount at OD, and you're bill paying $X through a bill pay service. I don't see how this action alone would warrant a closer inspection of one's account.. it's what they'd expect from a normal cardholder, isn't it?

Now, say if you were paying off an AMEX card with BB, I could see where that circle could potentially cause some trouble, but not when you're going between two different banking entities.
I agree, and even the same goes for Amex...if i'm going to use this as my true checking account, why wouldn't i pay my amex off with a bill pay like this? I think you would want to setup direct deposit first, just to make sure, but still...and there is no reason to buy the beans at OD if using an amex, just go anywhere that allows you to buy them with a cc, since amex doesn't give you anymore miles/points at office stores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.