Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by mrredskin
i asked him the shoe question earlier, and he asked me which type of knot. i'll give him props for that reply
I'll say this for MMS: he keeps his cool. He's getting torched in the comments on his web site, but he never takes the bait. And he manages to post the occasional humorous jab at himself. I still wish the blogosphere didn't make the tradecraft rise to the top of the google search results, but oh well.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by thegasguru
I try to be polite on discussion forums, but if you believe that there are folks that buy 50+ cards at a time on multiple occasions, then I got a bridge I can sell ya in Manhattan. And I accept Vanilla Reload cards for payment.

As for buying bean cards, I thinkiIt depends a lot on the store you go to...or for that matter, what manager is on duty. I got told one day at the OD I frequent that I can only buy one card at a time. I was told this was their "policy". I didn't bother pointing out that I've purchased several at a time on numerous occasions, because I didn't want the b*ttwipe going back to the management team in some meeting and actually changing the store policy. I just went back the next day, a different guy was on duty, and I bought 4.

Ultimately, if you get lucky enough to find a store that is well stocked, and you get to know the regular cashiers...THAT is the golden ticket. They smile when I walk in and never ask for ID any more. They just ring em up.

God I hope this lasts.

You bought $2000 worth of beans? Put 'em on a Chase card, or other card?

Just wondering...

My OD didn't have any. Also they were confused about the Vanilla Reloads, didn't know the difference between the gift cards and the reloadables. They didn't have any, nonetheless.

They did tell me, though, you can only buy one on a credit card.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by lbotez
You bought $2000 worth of beans? Put 'em on a Chase card, or other card?

Just wondering...

My OD didn't have any. Also they were confused about the Vanilla Reloads, didn't know the difference between the gift cards and the reloadables. They didn't have any, nonetheless.

They did tell me, though, you can only buy one on a credit card.
Actually, I'm trying to hit a spend threshold on one of my Amex cards. So I'm not worried about the wrath of Chase at the moment. And that purchase amount isn't necessarily out of the norm for my spending patterns.

Like I said, I've been told I could only buy 1 before. Like many things in the points hobby....hang up and try again.

Unfortunately, its looking like there is going to be a much higher ratio of wild goose chase for a lot of people in trying to reliably procure the reloadable cards.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Wallyworld is really stepping up their game. Last week BB, this week, $500 Vanilla MC GCs (not Visas, NOT reloads!!!), which are very rare beasts in these parts. Up till now, they only stocked GCs up to $200. So...goodbye Walgreens, hello WM + Amex HHonors 6X! Activation fee? $4.94, not $4.95! A penny saved...is still just a penny.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
So...goodbye Walgreens, hello WM + Amex HHonors 6X! Activation fee? $4.94, not $4.95! A penny saved...is still just a penny.
Wallyworld is classified as a a grocery merchant?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:10 pm

So...goodbye Walgreens, hello WM + Amex HHonors 6X! Activation fee? $4.94, not $4.95! A penny saved...is still just a penny.
I'm also wondering what Amex 6x has to do with Wallyworld...
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by bwelliott
Wallyworld is classified as a a grocery merchant?
Some of them are if they have a grocery section in them.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:21 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BQatWSU
Just a quick data point. I used my bluebird at Costco yesterday without having to enter a pin number. Two separate transactions went through no problem. So unless they changed their policy about credit cards, this is a nice little bonus since I don't have to use my debit card anymore.
Costco has always taken AMEX only, so it's no different from their standard policy.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by y2chen
Costco has always taken AMEX only, so it's no different from their standard policy.
Oh, sorry. I didn't know if that meant all amex, or just the one they pushed (Costco Amex)
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:40 pm

All purchases from Super Wal-Marts and Neighborhood Wal-Marts are always classed as Grocery by Chase, I know that from previously this year during the Freedom 5X category bonus. Pretty sure Amex will class it as the same. We've done all our grocery shopping at WM for over a decade. Is it unusual for WMs not to sell groceries? I'm serious. I've never seen a WM in the US that doesn't sell groceries. In Canada, yes, but not south of the 49th.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by thegasguru
I try to be polite on discussion forums, but if you believe that there are folks that buy 50+ cards at a time on multiple occasions, then I got a bridge I can sell ya in Manhattan. And I accept Vanilla Reload cards for payment.

As for buying bean cards, I thinkiIt depends a lot on the store you go to...or for that matter, what manager is on duty. I got told one day at the OD I frequent that I can only buy one card at a time. I was told this was their "policy". I didn't bother pointing out that I've purchased several at a time on numerous occasions, because I didn't want the b*ttwipe going back to the management team in some meeting and actually changing the store policy. I just went back the next day, a different guy was on duty, and I bought 4.

Ultimately, if you get lucky enough to find a store that is well stocked, and you get to know the regular cashiers...THAT is the golden ticket. They smile when I walk in and never ask for ID any more. They just ring em up.

God I hope this lasts.
Yes...i will add to this as I've had different experiences at different places. The last time i purchased them (which i reported on here) the manager had to be called up for 3 of them. Another time, I bought 2 and they had to call Chase to approve. Today, I walked into one of my regular OD places and they had a good stack of them available...i grabbed 6 went up and said $500 on each, I already had my ID and card out for verification...i didn't notice if the person was a manager or not, but no manager called, chase wasn't called, and they rung up just fine. I have a true need for them (property taxes are due end of Nov), so most will be going to that. Yep...hope it lasts as well.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:52 pm

Super Walmarts are definitely not classified grocery for AMEX IME. Other bank Visa and MCs yes.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:52 pm

i bought two vanillas at OD 3 weeks ago using citi biz card. they called in to verify. Then they had me sign for transaction. in activities section, i see the OD charge that posted and a second OD charge that is pending. The $1000 pending charge is still there. weird.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:54 pm

All purchases from Super Wal-Marts and Neighborhood Wal-Marts are always classed as Grocery by Chase, I know that from previously this year during the Freedom 5X category bonus. Pretty sure Amex will class it as the same. We've done all our grocery shopping at WM for over a decade. Is it unusual for WMs not to sell groceries? I'm serious. I've never seen a WM in the US that doesn't sell groceries. In Canada, yes, but not south of the 49th.
excuse me, but are you saying that Amex Blue Cash gives 6% at Walmarts if they sell groceries? Does that apply to anything you buy there?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:02 pm

Chase Freedom classes both our Super WM and Neighborhood WM as Grocery. They both sell groceries--lots of groceries! 5X category spend counted there during 2nd quarter. Maxed out bonus on WM GCs--on 3 Freedom cards. As for AMEX, give it a try and see what happens. Everything I buy there, except gas and oil changes, is classed as grocery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.