Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by sunshine-state
Were these payments to pay off store credit cards at those places?
Yes they were. Both were small amounts and the two accounts are in my wife's name. The BB is my name. They are supposed to post tomorrow.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
This post made me really sad. The difference is - one of those other 10 people might have been me...

But today I was finally happy. I seem to have found the one Bay Area store that still had any left. Some kind soul had left THREE cards on the rack. And thus, not only was that person able to get in on the deal, but I could also take the two I needed to clear a spending bonus this month.

(And, since I only needed two, I left that extra one, even though it means I might not get a card next month when I need it again. And no, I'm not going to say where it is. Someone doing the leg-work to find it can find it.)
Wow...last week I drove to three stores and finally struck gold. picked up nine, left three for some lucky soul !
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:41 pm

Programs: All main US FF programs basic level
Are there any non-Chase personal or business credit cards that have decent initial enrollment bonuses PLUS 2x points/miles/cash-back on Office Depot purchases? Am trying to not use my Chase Business Ink every time.

FYI -- I applied for the Chase Business Ink card on October 21 and its still not here despite phone approval confirmation on October 23. Seems like it takes at least 1.5 weeks to get it.

Last edited by zanzibar; Oct 30, 2012 at 11:45 am
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:56 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
I did not intentionally enter the wrong SSN into a dummy application. But it went to review and now received an email saying that the records didn't match blah blah blah.

Guess its not like the Visa Buxx where any 9 digits would cut it.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dad to GO
Oh man... what do I do if my bird is a vegan?
Go WalGreen, man!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by zanzibar
Are there any non-Chase personal or business credit cards that have decent initial enrollment bonuses PLUS 2x points/miles/cash-back on Office Depot purchases? Am trying to not use my Chase Business Ink every time.

Hilton (forget which one, there are a few. one earns 12X)
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:59 pm

This post made me really sad. The difference is - one of those other 10 people might have been me...
The sad part is if this wasn't plastered everywhere most of the stores would still have them. Now I clean out every store I go to except my favorite one where they keep them behind the counter for me.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
Even if they made money or broke even, I suspect AMEX would still need to have checks and balances in place to identify laundering. They won't really know whether the beans were purchased by drug dealers or FTers. I don't think their compliance department or the feds will let them play dumb.
I don't post here often... er, ever, but this has been on my mind since I first started reading about various strategies here a few days ago.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:56 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Unfortunately a card that is sitting on the shelf is a card that is not waiting to be restocked.

So by not buying out a store I would not be saving a card for you (they'll order more), I'd be saving chase 2500 miles.

No Thanks.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:24 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by joesmoe
Unfortunately a card that is sitting on the shelf is a card that is not waiting to be restocked.
There is no evidence that current stock level has anything to do with restocking.

In fact, there seems to be quite a lot of evidence that it has no relationship at all.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:31 am

In fact, there seems to be quite a lot of evidence that it has no relationship at all.
I am from Missouri, SHOW ME!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by Corridor!
Yes they were. Both were small amounts and the two accounts are in my wife's name. The BB is my name. They are supposed to post tomorrow.
Ok this makes sense. At first, I was confused at what you were paying for at these stores, but now I see! I'm sure we'll continue to think of new things to pay off with BB that don't normally accept credit cards.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by QL_714
I am from Missourah, SHOW ME!
Fixed it for you
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:04 am

I went to pick up a couple of reloads this morning at a nearby OD and they rang up with sales tax. This hasn't been an issue at the other OD I've been buying them at. The clerks claimed that they didn't have any control over how the transaction rang up at the counter, and to their knowledge, gift cards are always charged sales tax. I explained to them that that is not true, but they were just indifferent about it. I'm going to plunder my go-to OD this afternoon. Hopefully this is just an isolated issue.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by Sponge9
I went to pick up a couple of reloads this morning at a nearby OD and they rang up with sales tax. This hasn't been an issue at the other OD I've been buying them at. The clerks claimed that they didn't have any control over how the transaction rang up at the counter, and to their knowledge, gift cards are always charged sales tax. I explained to them that that is not true, but they were just indifferent about it. I'm going to plunder my go-to OD this afternoon. Hopefully this is just an isolated issue.
That's really weird. I've never been charged sales tax on any gift cards I have bought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.