Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by xp0
That is just nuts and so hard to believe! The most an OD ever had when I entered was 47 of them. When I left, they had 0.

They have never been restocked since
So you purchased all 47? and dropped over $23.5K at one OD? With reports like this, I can't imagine why these tricks get shut down.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by QL_714
Your mgr is feeding you a line or is an idiot.
Could be part of a direct store delivery arrangement (DSD), in which case the inventory is resupplied by the vendor, not the store's own supply chain. Pretty common in the retail world these days (chips, soda are common examples), and would be consistent with the likely business model where the store is most likely earning a sales commission.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Data point: I went to Wal-Mart today. Bought a pack of batteries. Whipped out my shiny new BB card, and asked for cash back. Cashier says...well, is that a debit or a credit card? I say, it's the new card you guys are selling right here! ...and I point to the kiosk right behind her. What a chuckle.

Anyway, I swipe the card, and select "debit" the card type...and hold my breath. Bingo, the enter PIN screen pops up. I entered the PIN, and the "select how much cash back" buttons pop up. I choose the max, $100, and figure I'm all set.

But no...an error message then pops up..."transaction type not approved".

Oh well. I wasn't expecting it to work, but now it's official.

I wonder if I'll see a blog post tomorrow with step by step instructions and pictures about How Not To Get Point of Sale Cash Back on Debit Transactions with the All New Game Changing BB Card! !
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:04 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
I am correct in thinking that you can't load one of the starter pack BB with a vanilla, correct? You have to wait until your permanent card arrives?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dad to GO
I am correct in thinking that you can't load one of the starter pack BB with a vanilla, correct? You have to wait until your permanent card arrives?
Correct
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: As many as I can!
Originally Posted by thegasguru
I wonder if I'll see a blog post tomorrow with step by step instructions and pictures about How Not To Get Point of Sale Cash Back on Debit Transactions with the All New Game Changing BB Card! !
Nah, I already wrote about that on October 22nd.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: A few
Do you really, really think you are the only person on the planet "smart" enough to think of this idea and try it out?

Thanks for the data point, but I'd keep the snide remarks to yourself
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:57 am

anyone tried using BB as ATM?
anyone used the B of A Alaska Airlines Debit Card to load up at Walmart? if so, is it considered a Credit or Debit? I believe if Debit, you will not receive miles for the transaction.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Do you really, really think you are the only person on the planet "smart" enough to think of this idea and try it out?

Thanks for the data point, but I'd keep the snide remarks to yourself
Of course I'm not the only person smart enough to think of this idea. Probably everybody on this thread has thought of it.

No, I am a person who tried to make some small contribution by communicating my test back to the community. I was hoping that since Walmart is selling the BB card, then they would be the best shot at point of sale cash back transactions.

Sorry if my comments came off too snide. Million Mile Secrets took them in good humor.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:08 am

Spot on!!! ^^^
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
Could be part of a direct store delivery arrangement (DSD), in which case the inventory is resupplied by the vendor, not the store's own supply chain. Pretty common in the retail world these days (chips, soda are common examples), and would be consistent with the likely business model where the store is most likely earning a sales commission.
You are right but the mgr can also put in orders.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: A few
Of course I'm not the only person smart enough to think of this idea. Probably everybody on this thread has thought of it.

No, I am a person who tried to make some small contribution by communicating my test back to the community.

Sorry if my comments came off too snide. Million Mile Secrets took them in good humor.
as i say a sincere thanks for the feedback

there have been countless folks here though saying bloggers just come here and steal ideas, and i always point out that most folks can work out this stuff for themselves. mms in particular clearly spends a lot of time doing his own detailed research, and so it is pretty hard to make clear digs in that directions.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:55 am

Track BB transactions in Mint.com

Mint.com has been very useful to track Amex PP transactions, however, currently it does not support BB. If you are Mint.com user, you can request Bluebird support at the link blow. The more people request it, the more likely, and sooner the support will be added.

http://satisfaction.mint.com/mint/to...pport_bluebird
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:00 pm

Does anyone know about using the Green Dot Money Pak? I found these at a CVS and thought they looked like a similar setup to the Beans. You can use them to reload prepaid cards and it looks like add money to paypal.

However, I can't figure out why folks are looking for the cards at drugstores unless there is a cc with a good % at drug stores. I can't see the benefit of buying a card with the fee get just slightly over fee back in points, Unless one is trying to hit a certain spend? Anything I am missing?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by brokestudent
I can't figure out why folks are looking for the cards at drugstores unless there is a cc with a good % at drug stores. ...Unless one is trying to hit a certain spend?
Those are the two reasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.