Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:12 pm

I'd like some to post a photo of all the vanillas they've redeemed. Would be entertaining.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by webazoid
I'd like some to post a photo of all the vanillas they've redeemed. Would be entertaining.
Let's not give Chase any additional incentive to pull the plug.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by webazoid
So many that I've had to hire help to keep them straight

Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Stoughton
That's hilarious! Post of the Year:-:
Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost
I wonder how easy it would be for the credit card issuers to start viewing this as a cash advance. That would be the better way for them to shut this down - bean purchases are a cash advance while other office supply store purchases are a purchase.
How would they implement that? I think a more likely scenario is that OD stops letting you use a credit card to purchase the reloads. I expect that every time I go and I am surprised it hasn't happened yet.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
How would they implement that? I think a more likely scenario is that OD stops letting you use a credit card to purchase the reloads. I expect that every time I go and I am surprised it hasn't happened yet.
I know it would be difficult. I could see either one shutting this down. Just like WM doesn't accept CC for reloads, OD could do the same.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton

lol... those workers are wearing blue..just like bluebird. lol
Old Oct 27, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by koolr
Why can't you load different amount than 500? I load different amounts like 486, 495, etc.
I think this is a good idea. I'm planning to do this next month when I reload on beans, and I've been using my BB card for lots of small everyday purchases so that the 2 big bill pays each month are surrounded by a bunch of smaller purchases, just like a regular account.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, US Air Gold
Another Data Point

Originally Posted by leftpinky
Guys--Got an interesting call from Chase Business today. They asked why I started making OD purchases all of sudden in large amounts ($1k). I said I needed some stuff, they asked what. I said office supplies mostly and they asked if I could send them the receipt bc they were making sure people were not abusing the benefits. I asked what that meant and they said gift cards and such. Didn't mention reloads, but must be what they're thinking.
Just to provide another data point, I did one OD $500 bean purchase on Tuesday with an Ink Bold (no ID request or anything) and then followed up with an OD $1500 bean purchase on Friday (asked for ID, but that was it). $2K in a week might be a lot, but I haven't gotten any calls yet (24 hours+ after my second purchase).

I have variable, but pretty solid, spend on my card. My last three statements have been $3,000, $750 and $7,500: restaurants, hotels, etc. The local OD is only a mile away and it is my regular stop for toner, printer paper, etc., but I probably only make a purchase there once every few months and usually under $75.

I'm going to lay off purchases for a while. Will report back if I get any calls.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:26 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by charlesfromage

I'm going to lay off purchases for a while. Will report back if I get any calls.
So people get called before Chase closes their accounts? That sure would be nice of them lol I was under the impression that Chase just closed them without asking any questions and that you were just up a creek. I think $2000 is a lot in 1 week. You would be wiser spreading it out throughout the month and varying the amounts you put on the card each time.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
So people get called before Chase closes their accounts? That sure would be nice of them lol I was under the impression that Chase just closed them without asking any questions and that you were just up a creek. I think $2000 is a lot in 1 week. You would be wiser spreading it out throughout the month and varying the amounts you put on the card each time.
In this case what would happen to my Deposit accounts, CDs, mutual funds, etc?

They just liquidate it all and send me a huge check?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by joesmoe
In this case what would happen to my Deposit accounts, CDs, mutual funds, etc?
Likely nothing. Just your credit card accounts might be affected. For something similar you can read the end of the Chase AARP cashback card thread on fatwallet.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:57 pm

Yours sounds like general fraud / dollar value issues and amay/may not be actually related to the merchant itself. The last guys was certainly merchant related.

Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
Then I sure hope you have many thousands of dollars of normal spend on that card or you will no doubt be in the first batch to get the axe. Also if they are still in your UR account they could pull back the points for abuse.

Something sort of similar happened to me but they did not mention what I bought or anything about gift cards. I went to one OD and they only had 1 card so I went to another one and they had some so I bought two. Well next was the gas station to fill up and the card was denied. When I called them they said because of two large charges. I laughed and said I have been a customer for years and routinely make large purchases. They agreed and simply said the purchases just triggered a fraud alert. They apologized and removed it.

Two days later I had used the card 8-9 more times for misc. and decided to try to buy one more card to load my new BB. Well I got greedy hearing about all the short supply situations of the cards and grabbed 3 and the card didn't go through at the counter. The manager called it in somewhere from a binder with phone numbers and when asked he said he had to call the bean factory. It then did go through but of course 2 hours later during lunch I get the Chase Fraud Fang Woman calling. Again very nice and removed it but a definite red flag. I am going to go slow with regular spend for a couple weeks before I try to buy more beans

I echoed others includiing the bloggers sentiment on this topic that the Cardinals are watching and no doubt Dave and everyone is right that soon a batch of the biggest abusers are going to wake up to closed accounts.
I think 2k in office spending a month is reasonable for a business with say 10-20 employees.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:57 pm

The masses are coming

Have not gotten in on the game yet, but saw a BB commercial during Gold Rush on Discovery yesterday. What do you think people will find if they Google BB...
Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:59 pm

Yeah, I doub't they'd do much to your other accounts. I do have a lot of UR points from spending, signup bonuses, etc, so being a bit worried about them getting cancelled, I transferred them to my parent's account. Hopefully they won't shut down my CSP card for this and ink bold for too many OD purchase. That would be a big doh!

Last edited by leftpinky; Oct 27, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.