Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by BQatWSU
I made my way to my local OD for another bean run, this time with my SPG, and noticed they were out. A week ago they had like 10-15 left, so I at first thought the Bird had scooped them up. But having read threads in the past, I took my time looking at all the gift cards...and what do you know, but beans were hidden behind another stack of gift cards. Two treasure beans were scooped up by SPG today. Ink will be writing my John Hancock in about 2 weeks. Enough time for it to dry so my Ink will always be available.
I just treat it like politics and resort to bribery. I have a client with a sandwich place so he gives me lots of free sub gift cards and now many of the staff such as the tellers/front end people and managers have been asked to do me a favor and try a large Sub free to check out the place.
Might not do much for me but they all sure are damn friendly at least.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:44 am

Is the account number on the direct deposit information the same number that is on the card?

I haven't gotten my physical card yet but would like to go ahead and feed my account beans if possible.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by leftpinky
Guys--Got an interesting call from Chase Business today. They asked why I started making OD purchases all of sudden in large amounts ($1k). I said I needed some stuff, they asked what. I said office supplies mostly and they asked if I could send them the receipt bc they were making sure people were not abusing the benefits. I asked what that meant and they said gift cards and such. Didn't mention reloads, but must be what they're thinking.

I said I didn't have the receipt and was not trying to abuse the system. We shall see how this progresses.
Originally Posted by DL172
Please keep us posted. Some of us have a lot more than just a few $1k purchases.
Then I sure hope you have many thousands of dollars of normal spend on that card or you will no doubt be in the first batch to get the axe. Also if they are still in your UR account they could pull back the points for abuse.

Something sort of similar happened to me but they did not mention what I bought or anything about gift cards. I went to one OD and they only had 1 card so I went to another one and they had some so I bought two. Well next was the gas station to fill up and the card was denied. When I called them they said because of two large charges. I laughed and said I have been a customer for years and routinely make large purchases. They agreed and simply said the purchases just triggered a fraud alert. They apologized and removed it.

Two days later I had used the card 8-9 more times for misc. and decided to try to buy one more card to load my new BB. Well I got greedy hearing about all the short supply situations of the cards and grabbed 3 and the card didn't go through at the counter. The manager called it in somewhere from a binder with phone numbers and when asked he said he had to call the bean factory. It then did go through but of course 2 hours later during lunch I get the Chase Fraud Fang Woman calling. Again very nice and removed it but a definite red flag. I am going to go slow with regular spend for a couple weeks before I try to buy more beans

I echoed others includiing the bloggers sentiment on this topic that the Cardinals are watching and no doubt Dave and everyone is right that soon a batch of the biggest abusers are going to wake up to closed accounts.
I think 2k in office spending a month is reasonable for a business with say 10-20 employees.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by brokestudent
Is the account number on the direct deposit information the same number that is on the card?

I haven't gotten my physical card yet but would like to go ahead and feed my account beans if possible.
OK the answer is NO.

Just for reference

ALL Visa card #'s start with 4
All Master Card # start with 5
All Amex Card #'s start with 3

unless you have Whiskey plates in your state then they might start with W,X,Y or Z
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by brokestudent

The card has to be activated before you can use it. If it were me, I'd just be patient and wait until the card arrives. It won't take more than a few days.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by thegasguru
I literally cringed when I read that post. I mean that is a step-by-step tutorial to get your account closed basically.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
This week I saw the Vanilla cards at a local OD. I bought one for $500 on my Ink bold, to test the waters. I also threw on a few other small items I needed so the total charge would not show up as $503.95, which (along with its multiples) I'm guessing has got to be an obvious magic number to trigger scrutiny.
Same here. Just bought my first one to test. I added a $0.99 travel toothpaste to avoid the obvious amount. I run a lot of business expenses thru my ink Bold and charge upwards of $15,000 a month. Even though $500 is not much in that context, think I'll tread lightly on this one.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I've had the Ink card for about 6-8 months, been a Chase customer since 1998, active since 2006 or so.

My ink spending is around $700-800/mth normally. Dish, cell phone and in laws cell phone, internet is about it. So not huge, but not insignificant. Never used it at OD before that. Also used it in Africa and London this summer somewhat, so maybe another few thousand there.

My Shappire spending has been about $1500/mth, which isn't bad for a secondary card (main is SPG, of course). So overall Chase spending is about $2k-2.5k per month. Decent, I'd say and probably slightly above median for most Chase users. Rarely, if ever, used AP or anything similar on Chase (a few thousand UR points just don't do it for me since they are so easy to get with sign up bonuses).

I did buy one Van reload for $500 to try it out and see if it loads (if I got the right card) and two for $1k. They didn't mention the $500, but did mention the $1k. They didn't really say much to end the call, just that they wanted to see what's been going on. No threats or anything to close my account (yet).

As posters have mentioned above, both times I purchased from OD, the manager called in and did an address verification. Maybe that triggered something, but not sure. The two managers both said OD requires them to do verification if over $100 on gift cards.
Appreciate you sharing, and hope it works out OK. Personally, I'd transfer out your UR points balance now, in case they shut you down and you either end up with nothing - or at best, they grudgingly give you a penny a point refund for them.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Appreciate you sharing, and hope it works out OK. Personally, I'd transfer out your UR points balance now, in case they shut you down and you either end up with nothing - or at best, they grudgingly give you a penny a point refund for them.
I always recommend frequently transferring your UR balance. There's just no reason to risk it.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by elizadoo
Clarification needed on the beans flavor, as the first few pages of this post referred to the rich Visa flavor at OD, while later pages referred to this rather nasty-looking flavor www.vanillareload.com/home.html available at 7/11. Which is the tastier choice?
Those are the same product.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:16 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Its just a matter of time before Chase starts going on a shut down spree. And maybe even remove the 5x bonus from their Ink cards. :/
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:23 am

With leftpinky's report, looks like we have something to go by now. However, leftpinky is an old IB user with a prior history. He suddenly increased his OD spend, and that triggered a red flag. A lot of other folks are new IB cardholders with no prior history. I don't think Chase can go through all the new accounts with heavy OD spending. Still, this is definitely a reminder that everybody should be careful with the beans.

What's you guys' thoughts on OD spending or newer members that will trigger red flags? Say, if 20% of total spend coming from OD? 30%? 50% or more? I think a lot of folks are quickly gobbling up the remaining beans in large amounts out of fear that the supply will run out. One OD that had >20 cards last time I went there 1-2 wks ago was out when I went yesterday. I think we should all remember that even without beans (the main benefit to me being able to pay mortgage and property taxes and get UR points), the AMEX prepaid cards are still in strong supply. Not as good, but still almost 5x off everything.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by caGALINDO
Its just a matter of time before Chase starts going on a shut down spree. And maybe even remove the 5x bonus from their Ink cards. :/
Chase added the 5x after consulting with focus groups about what bonus categories they would like. I doubt they will remove the bonus, just send the Cardinals out to either gently warn or go ahead and shut an account down.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Guys--Got an interesting call from Chase Business today. They asked why I started making OD purchases all of sudden in large amounts ($1k). I said I needed some stuff, they asked what. I said office supplies mostly and they asked if I could send them the receipt bc they were making sure people were not abusing the benefits. I asked what that meant and they said gift cards and such. Didn't mention reloads, but must be what they're thinking.

I said I didn't have the receipt and was not trying to abuse the system. We shall see how this progresses.
Remember, Chase can easily get a copy of the receipt from their system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.