Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
So stop going to OD and go down the other less trodden paths you mention. I've seen posts ever since FM posted the Ink, saying that "it's over, it's over" for months now. I'm still going to get Ink, the 5x on telecom isn't going anywhere. The endless amount of proclamations of "it's dead" ring hollow after a while when it proves that it isn't. This is a low margin game, that's just the facts of it.
Yes fair enough actually. FM declared it dead because of NetSpend closures. And BB reopens the door. But it is not the perpetual points machine either. And it is being hyped as being bigger than the mint, which it's not if you were happy lugging big boxes of coins, as that was truly scalable. I guess it may not be dead, but it will be hard to really scale up. So a nice addition but not something you can reliably print UR with.

I certainly plan to keep milking the other reload cards
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
So stop going to OD and go down the other less trodden paths you mention. I've seen posts ever since FM posted the Ink, saying that "it's over, it's over" for months now. I'm still going to get Ink, the 5x on telecom isn't going anywhere. The endless amount of proclamations of "it's dead" ring hollow after a while when it proves that it isn't. This is a low margin game, that's just the facts of it.
Yes fair enough actually. FM declared it dead because of NetSpend closures. And BB reopens the door. But it is not the perpetual points machine either. And it is being hyped as being bigger than the mint, which it's not if you were happy lugging big boxes of coins, as that was truly scalable. I guess it may not be dead, but it will be hard to really scale up. So a nice addition but not something you can reliably print UR with.

I certainly plan to keep milking the other reload cards
Likewise. I limit myself in this to anything I can specifically plan to use the points on. This isn't the mint (which fully died a week after I joined FT ), and without a steady supply of beans in close proximity, isn't even that great. It will die eventually yes, but new things will come along to replace it. Someone will see a way to try to make money on the corporate side, and enterprising individuals will always tailor it to their own needs. The Cardinals will always chase down those who leave trails or can't move fast, and some people will always be ever so slightly out of reach.

I'm not worried about the Cardinals, I don't spend enough to draw much attention, and I'm currently at 34,000 feet, I don't think the Cardinals fly as much as I do .
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Anyone here successfully loaded the BB card for free at Walmart using a mile earning Debit card? One of the bloggers recently wrote that he was able to but was unable to verify that he received the miles. The BB site reads for loading fees:

Direct Deposit $0
Checking/Savings Account $0
From a Debit Card $2
Cash through Walmart $1 (fee no longer applies)
Cash Load Packs $0 & third party fees may apply
Deposit Checks with Mobile App $0

Just wondering if not being charged the $2 reload fee at the Walmart using a Debit card was an anomaly or standard practice. If the later, I will likely get an account that offers a mile earning debit card.

At 1 mile per $2 spend using a debit card is not in itself a very good deal, however if this is in turned applied toward paying off a point/mile earring credit card, this is a great way to turbo charge mile earnings for free.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
Anyone here successfully loaded the BB card for free at Walmart using a mile earning Debit card? One of the bloggers recently wrote that he was able to but was unable to verify that he received the miles. The BB site reads for loading fees:

Direct Deposit $0
Checking/Savings Account $0
From a Debit Card $2
Cash through Walmart $1 (fee no longer applies)
Cash Load Packs $0 & third party fees may apply
Deposit Checks with Mobile App $0

Just wondering if not being charged the $2 reload fee at the Walmart using a Debit card was an anomaly or standard practice. If the later, I will likely get an account that offers a mile earning debit card.

At 1 mile per $2 spend using a debit card is not in itself a very good deal, however if this is in turned applied toward paying off a point/mile earring credit card, this is a great way to turbo charge mile earnings for free.
I've loaded off a debit, but not a miles earning debit. There was no fee and it took all of a min to complete. It shows as a purchase on the debit card web page, so I assume it would work for earning miles.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:11 am

Thank you for the reply Stoughton.

Does applying / registering for a BB result in a hard credit pull? Kind of late for me to ask now since I just applied for one online, but wondering anyway, since I already have 12 hard pulls / new accounts showing up on my CR for this calendar year. Hope this does not make 13.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
Does applying / registering for a BB result in a hard credit pull?
No. You're not getting credit from anyone.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by smitty06
I have been told by Chase customer service that gasoline purchases in close relation to large purchases will cause a fraud alert. The rationale is that the stolen card is used a pump (away from a human) to see if it is still active. The other trigger is electronics purchases since criminals usually like to buy electronics to resell.
Kiosk purchases of any type followed by a large purchase is a trigger. I bought movie tickets at a Kiosk and then a TV and got my card declined. Was no big deal but did take a quick chat with the fraud department to confirm my identity.

I would suggest staying away from Kiosks if you are leveraging your card.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
No. You're not getting credit from anyone.
I didn't think so. I appreciate the conformation.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Same here. Just bought my first one to test. I added a $0.99 travel toothpaste to avoid the obvious amount. I run a lot of business expenses thru my ink Bold and charge upwards of $15,000 a month. Even though $500 is not much in that context, think I'll tread lightly on this one.
Why can't you load different amount than 500? I load different amounts like 486, 495, etc.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by koolr
Why can't you load different amount than 500? I load different amounts like 486, 495, etc.
I'm amazed that it took so long for this to finally appear. At least calculate out what a $469.99 printer would cost with tax, back out the $3.95 fee, and go with that.

But, while that might keep you from a multiple of $503.95, you still hit the algorithm that says "who has never shopped at OD before and now uses their IB card there for thousands of dollars in purchases?"
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by josephstern
Originally Posted by koolr
I'm amazed that it took so long for this to finally appear. At least calculate out what a $469.99 printer would cost with tax, back out the $3.95 fee, and go with that.

But, while that might keep you from a multiple of $503.95, you still hit the algorithm that says "who has never shopped at OD before and now uses their IB card there for thousands of dollars in purchases?"
I plan to do it this way. The second algorithm is nearly impossible to avoid though of course, unless someone actually spends thousands of dollars at office supply stores.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
I plan to do it this way. The second algorithm is nearly impossible to avoid though of course, unless someone actually spends thousands of dollars at office supply stores.
This is how I've been doing it with the the Perm AMEX since march. 1 month I charge 462.50+3.95. The next I charge 453.25+3.95. I Just pick a number that isn't obviously and go with it. I never go over $500 in spend each month, though because I want to keep this deal alive and stay in Chase's good graces.

(mainly use this for shopping at costco to UR points on costco purchases)
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
"We're sorry but we will not be able to ship Bluebird Cards to Vermont"

bummer
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:45 pm

I wonder how easy it would be for the credit card issuers to start viewing this as a cash advance. That would be the better way for them to shut this down - bean purchases are a cash advance while other office supply store purchases are a purchase.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by CFFrost
I wonder how easy it would be for the credit card issuers to start viewing this as a cash advance. That would be the better way for them to shut this down - bean purchases are a cash advance while other office supply store purchases are a purchase.
That's exactly how I expect this will go. Just a question of when.

Everybody has an incentive for all this to continue - AMEX, Bluebird, WalMart, Office Depot, Vanilla - they've all got to be happy as clams. Everyone but Chase. It's the 5X UR at OD bonanza that will be the rub. But it's only a rub for them. Everybody else has no reason not to embrace it all.

So the question is, if you were Chase, what would you do? If I were Chase, I'd fix it so Vanilla reloads were treated as a cash advance. Problem solved. Everybody's happy (except those who have been planning to put 10 Vanilla reloads on their Ink cards every month).

If you want this to keep working, take it easy and resist the temptation to fill your bathtub with vanilla charged on your Ink at OD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.