Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by QL_714
I got my ice cream at OD today and on the way home I stopped at an ATM. The card is to big to fit in the slot. Please help!!!
+1 That is priceless. You have to eat some of the ice cream so it fits LOL
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:00 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by Stoughton
more or less sound idea, but a cpl things: I have the Nationwide buxx. Loads at $500 max, $2 to load, $800 max spend, $1,000 max balance, $2,500 max monthly load

So while you have a good idea, the math may vary from product to product. I've no idea if you can actually load a BB with the buxx.
I think for most of us it is better (or safer) not to go over $2K-$2.5K in OD purchases (ice cream). So, the rest ($2.5K-$3K) may be covered from debit card loads (buxx or st or boa).
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:02 pm

Some interesting info from OD

So wally's didn't work, they got online and saw where it said cash or debit card. I shrugged, pulled up frequent miler's blog and showed it to them and said Amex is lying to a lot of people (ok, just kidding, i just left).

Prior to this, i went to OD for some bean hunting. Only four left on the rack, uh oh. Grabbed three, walked up, they had to call over a manager. I had my ID out ready, knowing they would ask for it. I started chatting up the manager about it, she said they are having to check a lot of things to see who is buying them. I made the comment that I understood as there is probably a lot of credit card fraud with buying these. She then goes on to say it really has nothing to do with OD, but with the bean company themselves. They are now required to have a manager double check the information and ID. She said in about 30 mins after the purchase i'm making, she will get a call from the company asking if a manager verified the information and compared ID to credit card. She said it was pretty crazy how far they were going, but she did say they sell a lot of them. I inquired about them being restocked soon and didn't really get much of an answer from her.

Anyway, loaded the BB just fine, now calling BB to find out something that will help me pay a bill, but how i pay it might be of even greater interest to lots of people on this board. I'm calling for a legitimate purpose, so no flaming about calling.

Edit: Been on hold for 22 mins, dang, are all of you calling?

Last edited by Mrgolfer21; Oct 25, 2012 at 7:13 pm
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
I've kept up with this thread from the beginning, but I don't recall of this question has been covered:

has anyone successfully gotten cash back at the point of purchase using it as a PIN based debit card?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Preacher7
I paid a couple credit cards with BB the past couple days. Does anyone know if they mail a check out for payment, or if it's electronic? In other words, when should I expect to see the payment post?
Mine posted the following day, so ACH
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:10 pm

OK I just read the last 10 pages and I don't recall mention of Direct Deposit requirements other than real jobs. Anyone know if AP or a Bank transfer will work because after Nov. 4 the DD will be required for fee free ATM use?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jk2
I think for most of us it is better (or safer) not to go over $2K-$2.5K in OD purchases (ice cream). So, the rest ($2.5K-$3K) may be covered from debit card loads (buxx or st or boa).
Or, you just go to OD 2x and buy $5k worth.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:26 pm

Or, you just go to OD 2x and buy $5k worth.
I think it would be total monthly spend in the 5X catagory that would raise the red flag. Especially if mostly from office but if you had a business with $1500 a month in cell phone bills say to add to 2K in beans and some other phone or internet bills it could be done safely perhaps. All depends on who want to get accounts closed in the first wave or to be the last ones to get shut down.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jk2
According to VisaBuxx (Nationwide): max is $500 per load, $1000 is a maximum you can have on the card. Weekly spending limit is $800, max ATM usage is $200/week (and they actually charge $1 for it despite the fact they say it is free). So, it is better to have 2 cards to override the limits (unless you don't mind to have daily trips to WM).
I don't know the 100% answer because I don't have one and am just going off of the FAQ on the website but...

The US Bank website says that the max amount to be loaded in any 30 day period is $2k.
It makes no mention of any other limits besides the $200 ATM limit per transaction and 3 ATM transactions.
It doesn't say anything about there being a max limit per load of any type. It just says how much the fee is per credit card load ($2.50). Also says that there are no fees for using it as a debit card, only for ATM transactions.

Does anybody have any experience with the US Bank version? It sounds like people have the NW version and can give real life experience, but we haven't heard from the US Bank customers.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
I think it would be total monthly spend in the 5X catagory that would raise the red flag. Especially if mostly from office but if you had a business with $1500 a month in cell phone bills say to add to 2K in beans and some other phone or internet bills it could be done safely perhaps. All depends on who want to get accounts closed in the first wave or to be the last ones to get shut down.
Agreed, but some of us are using other cards as well
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:39 pm

In general, I would look at this more suspicious for users using OD, than those who choose to get the card because they had a large cell phone bill...

It's much more "legitimate" for a business to see they have a $5,000/month cell phone or internet bill and get the card just for that purpose...

Probably a lot more common the 4k/month of OD.

Easy, no card swapping hassle, and it's on auto-pay.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:41 pm

Yes I wish more people would give me their social too. Thanks MOM
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
Yes I wish more people would give me their social too. Thanks MOM
Other credit cards, not BB cards. BB doesn't give a rip if you load $5k in vanilla.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by johndoe123
In general, I would look at this more suspicious for users using OD, than those who choose to get the card because they had a large cell phone bill...

It's much more "legitimate" for a business to see they have a $5,000/month cell phone or internet bill and get the card just for that purpose...

Probably a lot more common the 4k/month of OD.

Easy, no card swapping hassle, and it's on auto-pay.
That sounds exactly right. I laid out the program to a friend over Sushi at lunch yesterday since he is too lazy to read a blog and that is the first thing he said. OK one day you bought some office equipment or a computer and spent $1500 well how do you do that again in the same month unless you have several times that in regular business spend to put on the card. If a Fang looked it would be obvious for many to get shut down. I am lucky to have a lot of business spend on hers and mine so I would think they must love me. I actually asked them if the love me and a woman laughed and said yes we love you. I am sure she was lieing to me like every other (oh this isn't Match.com)
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:51 pm

Other credit cards, not BB cards. BB doesn't give a rip if you load $5k in vanilla.
I agree about BB and that is what I meant. Thanks Mom for an ink well since all my cell and internet bills are filling mine up and there needs to be more space on the cart for spreading out Veggies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.