Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:31 pm

Amazing how people get mad at new posters asking legitimate questions regarding how to accomplish the goals that are at least ostensibly supposed to be covered in this thread - and reference the length of the thread (now at 69 pages with my default settings) as proof that they should have learned it all by now. The thread has, however, degenerated to a discussion of people's favorite flavor of (actual) ice cream, along with constant reports of "hey, I was able to buy [vanilla reload] ice cream at this one store in this one place in an obscure town!" Do these sorts of posts actually cover the topics that are supposed to be covered here [the new Bluebird debit card]? If we would eliminate all the flaming and pointless, repetitive posts we could probably have a nice, concise account of what people have learned about bluebirds processes, strengths, weaknesses, etc. Instead, we have 69 pages of gibberish that new folks are less inclined to read because most of it is not useful.

Sorry for the rant, but as someone who has actually read the 69 pages as they have developed (as I'm sure many others have) the task has become burdensome because of the excessive amount of useless posts and counter-posts in this thread. Can we try to stay more on topic so people can actually get questions answered when they have them, and so those who have experimented more can report on unique experiences that others can benefit from?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:38 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by xp0
Also, if I bought all 47 of them or 5 of people bought 10 each (and the unlucky one only got 7) whats the difference?
This post made me really sad. The difference is - one of those other 10 people might have been me...

But today I was finally happy. I seem to have found the one Bay Area store that still had any left. Some kind soul had left THREE cards on the rack. And thus, not only was that person able to get in on the deal, but I could also take the two I needed to clear a spending bonus this month.

(And, since I only needed two, I left that extra one, even though it means I might not get a card next month when I need it again. And no, I'm not going to say where it is. Someone doing the leg-work to find it can find it.)
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
This thread and the "trick it" thread just remind me of this old Calvin & Hobbes cartoon: Calvinball.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by glocklt4
Acct # = card number.
Thank you soo much. Appreciated. Now that I have completed that step, I do toss that card and then buy another one, correct?
Thanks again!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by CFFrost
Sorry for the rant, but as someone who has actually read the 69 pages as they have developed (as I'm sure many others have) the task has become burdensome because of the excessive amount of useless posts and counter-posts in this thread. Can we try to stay more on topic so people can actually get questions answered when they have them, and so those who have experimented more can report on unique experiences that others can benefit from?
I don't get mad at new posters (other than that I wish more people would go try something instead of just asking "Does X work?"), and at times feel that the attitude you mention is what drives people to the blogs. The issue to me, and I always maintain this: blogs don't kill deals, at least not as much as FT kills deals. The Alexa ranking of FT is 5000-something, the ranking for all of Boarding Area (which includes MP and most of the major blogs other than TPG/MMS/FTG) is 20000-something. Every major program has a defined, specified lurker or official presence here (some have multiple and are well engaged in the community as a whole, see SPG). Everything going on FT is well-monitored, so it is difficult to share much of anything on here with a confidence that it will last long. Unfortunate, yes, but that is the approach many are taking.

I actually found out that Bluebird does NOT work at the Logan Airport Economy parking gate, which was annoying. Extremely unique, and I didn't feel the savings of the economy garage were worth it compared to parking directly at Terminal B so I won't be doing it again anyway.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by mmamminna
Thank you soo much. Appreciated. Now that I have completed that step, I do toss that card and then buy another one, correct?
Thanks again!
Correct. Reload cards themselves cannot be reloaded, or else most of this thread and the OD angst probably wouldn't exist. You will have to get new reload cards.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Correct. Reload cards themselves cannot be reloaded, or else most of this thread and the OD angst probably wouldn't exist. You will have to get new reload cards.
Thank you.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mmamminna
Thanks again!
Some people hold the used cards for a bit, just in case a problem occurs. I don't know that this ever happens but I suppose it could.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Some people hold the used cards for a bit, just in case a problem occurs. I don't know that this ever happens but I suppose it could.
So far with my first few, I've been holding onto the cards just in case, but mainly because this is my first experience with any pre-paid cards like this.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by xp0
Maybe they will eventually get the point.

Plus when you need to actually read and understand, sometimes it sparks new ideas and methods. I have a few tricks in my arsenal from NOT being spoon fed and actually reading and trying things.
Oh please. Like this guy.

The strangest ice cream I ever had was Yasabi (sp?) flavored ice cream in japan.
Why would you pollute topic which already has 69 pages and 60 of them are absolutely useless post from people sitting in their office and typing crazy stuff like "green ice cream in Japan"?
Forget it. Im going to install that firefox plugin for Vbulletin to hide entire threads. This one is just retarded.

Last edited by saacman5033; Oct 29, 2012 at 7:13 pm Reason: Edited violation of FT T&C
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Once I load the money to the AmEx card, I CUT the bean card and throw it away (so no possible fraud with the used card).
Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:05 pm

I made a payment to Lowe's and Kohl's. The search couldn't find Lowes and Kohls. I had to add the '. Be sure to check that when looking for merchants.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, TK Elite Card, AF Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by Corridor!
I made a payment to Lowe's and Kohl's. The search couldn't find Lowes and Kohls. I had to add the '. Be sure to check that when looking for merchants.
Were these payments to pay off store credit cards at those places?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
Oh please. Like this guy.

Why would you pollute topic which already has 69 pages and 60 of them are absolutely useless post from people sitting in their office and typing crazy stuff like "green ice cream in Japan"?
Forget it. Im going to install that firefox plugin for Vbulletin to hide entire threads. This one is just retarded.
Again, another quality post.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by xp0
Why not ask MMS then? If there is a flaw in his step-by-step directions he should fix them otherwise no one is going to know what to do
Really

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.