Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Pretty sure Amex will class it as the same.
Pretty sure you are wrong.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:17 am
xp0

Originally Posted by QL_714
Oh come on, lets hear it.
I am just saying n/m to thegasguru. If he wants to believe that people arent/cant/whatever buy 20,30,40+ reloads at one time thats fine with me. Someone asked, and I answered.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:22 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by xp0
I am just saying n/m to thegasguru. If he wants to believe that people arent/cant/whatever buy 20,30,40+ reloads at one time thats fine with me. Someone asked, and I answered.
you're 10x worse than the blogs are, honestly
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:36 am
xp0

Originally Posted by mrredskin
you're 10x worse than the blogs are, honestly
Ok.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by glocklt4
As long as they make a profit in the end (even after theft, etc...), I don't think they care. And it always amazes me to see people buy someone a $50 amex card at the grocery store with $4-5 fee. REALLY?!?!

So they are getting big percents from those people instantly. And that's if they don't lose the card and take the entire thing as profit (where the BIG money is at!)
I used to think this way too, but there really are a lot of people who cannot manage a bank account and get eaten alive by overdraft and other fees. They honestly are better served by things like bluebirds and one time use cards. At least they can only go to zero, and not negative. I've seen bank accounts hundreds of dollars in the negative from fees.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Got this response to my registration:

Thank you for your recent registration for a Bluebird Account.

Unfortunately we are not able to validate your registration information at this time. In order for us to process your registration, please contact us at 1-866-340-2773 during the following business hours: Monday - Saturday, 6:00AM-6:00PM (MST).

Please be sure to call us within 2 weeks to ensure your registration is not cancelled.

Any thoughts on why? I will call when I get back in the country next week, but am just surprised they deny automatic registration like that. Anyone else have this happen to them?
I had the same thing happen to me after I canceled my Serve account and immediately signed up for a BlueBird.

I let it go and then several days later got an email saying that they couldn't verify it and I needed to call them. So, I called and they told me that they had "new verification procedures" so that's why it didn't get verified automatically. I had to verify my name, address and SS#. Said I was good to go and my card would be here in 7-10 days.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
I had the same thing happen to me after I canceled my Serve account and immediately signed up for a BlueBird.

I let it go and then several days later got an email saying that they couldn't verify it and I needed to call them. So, I called and they told me that they had "new verification procedures" so that's why it didn't get verified automatically. I had to verify my name, address and SS#. Said I was good to go and my card would be here in 7-10 days.
wonder if that's why I haven't received my BlueBird yet. I cancelled my Serve card too. It's been over a week. Though I haven't received any email yet.

Though I did transfer some funds from my checking account, however it shows up as pending.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by brettalb
I used to think this way too, but there really are a lot of people who cannot manage a bank account and get eaten alive by overdraft and other fees. They honestly are better served by things like bluebirds and one time use cards. At least they can only go to zero, and not negative. I've seen bank accounts hundreds of dollars in the negative from fees.
Completely agree. I've known people that need this type of banking .
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521

I kept getting that error too. Called Bluebird and they told me even though I'd cancelled me Serve online, it wasn't "permanently cancelled" and I would need to call Serve. Serve told me it was cancelled and that no matter how I cancelled it, it had the same status. Serve did caution me to use the exact same info, including email address, for Bluebird as I had used for Serve. Even after those phone calls, I kept getting the same error until I used the same email as I'd used for Serve.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Well, I cant' even log into my new BB account even after it has been "approved" and my card is on the way. This is the message I get when I try to log in:

Sorry, your username and password is not working at this time due to your Bluebird Account status
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:55 am
Suspended

Can anyone else confirm costco can feed the bird ?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:19 am

Bluebird has me thinking about how to enhance my overall Walmart strategy. Now that Walmart carries $20-$500 variable load Visa gift cards, I ran a little test. I tried to purchase a Visa gift card in-store with a Walmart e-code. The checker told me you can't buy gift cards with gift cards but she didn't attempt to ring it through. Does anybody know if the registers are programmed to prohibit this? I know you can do this at Walmart.com for $200 but if you can do it in the store for $500 it greatly improves the margins.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
I think it's good to "tell the truth" on this (well, some vague version of the truth)
I am going to start using this phrase.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by particlemn
I am going to start using this phrase.
Yeah, it's not exactly the "whole truth, nothing but the truth, so help me God." But, really, the OD store manager doesn't need a tutorial in points churning. Offering a plausible explanation for why I was looking for this particular card did seem to motivate her to help me (not that she succeeded, of course).

That said, this all seems a bit academic to me because, best I can tell, there are a limited number of OD's where you can actually pick up the reload cards. And since nobody is telling folks where these stores are, and there seems to be no "scientific" way of searching for them, this OD trick seems more theoretical than practical.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by iahphx
....this all seems a bit academic to me because, best I can tell, this seems more theoretical than practical.
That's just good, sound, judgment. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.