Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2012, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by troyhouse
went to OD today, and all the beans were cleaned out. spoke to manager, and he mentioned that guy came he took all the 15 of them and loaded 500$ each. dont know when he will get the stock again. dang.
you should be glad that they were out of stock. why you want chase to ban you for perk abuse?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Hey, you guys in the Apple get to pick the prez every 4 years. That's a pretty big perk! It's only fair some of the rest of us get ODs with beans.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by emptiness
you should be glad that they were out of stock. why you want chase to ban you for perk abuse?
The guy who apparently bought 15 of them is the one who needs to be worried about getting his accounts closed. Maybe the OP has half a brain and would only have bought one or two?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
The guy who apparently bought 15 of them is the one who needs to be worried about getting his accounts closed. Maybe the OP has half a brain and would only have bought one or two?
Chase clearly has limited their liability at $50,000 spend. It's not like scripting millions from Chase Exclusives or the AARP abuse.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by keirnna
Chase clearly has limited their liability at $50,000 spend. It's not like scripting millions from Chase Exclusives or the AARP abuse.
Similar to how the Chase Freedom is limited to $1500 in spend per quarter for 5x categories. Chase isn't stupid. The FWFers doing the scripting and massive AARP abuse are a different category. Unlimited never means unlimited.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Similar to how the Chase Freedom is limited to $1500 in spend per quarter for 5x categories. Chase isn't stupid. The FWFers doing the scripting and massive AARP abuse are a different category. Unlimited never means unlimited.
Exactly and with liability limited I don't see why Chase would get angry when about $50,000 of $200,000 spent on Chase cards is at office supply stores, internet acces and for phone bills.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: A few
Exactly and with liability limited I don't see why Chase would get angry when about $50,000 of $200,000 spent on Chase cards is at office supply stores, internet acces and for phone bills.
I think the questions will come in for those who spend $50k per year on their Ink card, and all $50k is at Office Depot
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I think the questions will come in for those who spend $50k per year on their Ink card, and all $50k is at Office Depot
Yes, the outliers will always get noticed. I'd have to think people aren't that obvious with this.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Don't think you understand why there is a big risk. Already there are few reports of some who got their IB closed.

this OD activity is not a normal card transaction/activity.

It is an ABNORMAL LARGE PURCHASE( always at OD store).

you are unprofitable to them for perk abuse and they won't want you any longer. Once they realize that they are having to give you much more than what they get from you, or they feel enough is enough, they will take action! they are there to do business = make money.

they only get 2-3% back max for every dollar of the card spend, but if they are losing 5 points per dollar all the time due to this OD perk abuse , they won't want you as a customer!

Last edited by emptiness; Nov 3, 2012 at 7:26 pm
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:28 pm

Second time lucky...I used my Hilton Amex for 6X points to buy the beans at a local Walgreens.

At the first store, the clerk ran up the purchase and the register stated "Cash Only". Tried again later at a different location and it worked like a charm!

Thanks FT and all posters in this thread.

Now all I need is an Ink to really get in on this deal
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by traveldealexpert
Now all I need is an Ink to really get in on this deal
and find an OD with the beans in stock - no easy task
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by emptiness
Don't think you understand why there is a big risk. Already there are few reports of some who got their IB closed.

this OD activity is not a normal card transaction/activity.

It is an ABNORMAL LARGE PURCHASE( always at OD store).

you are unprofitable to them for perk abuse and they won't want you any longer. Once they realize that they are having to give you much more than what they get from you, or they feel enough is enough, they will take action! they are there to do business = make money.

they only get 2-3% back max for every dollar of the card spend, but if they are losing 5 points per dollar all the time due to this OD perk abuse , they won't want you as a customer!
Wow...and i'm guessing you are positive the world is going to end in Dec, right?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Well I visited a number of potential Vanilla outlets today around my town.

Two ODs - no vanilla cards there, just empty slots in their racks.
Similar story for me, went 0 for 3 yesterday and then tried another one this morning, where I was excited to see a full rack of beans.

When I tried to buy one, the register displayed a "call above floor limit" error. Cashier calls the manager who explains that for some reason they can't process the cards today, and had spent 30 mins trying to help an earlier customer. No timeframe for resolution...

Cheers
Old Nov 3, 2012, 8:12 pm

Got the same message on the screen when they tried to process one at an OD late this afternoon. The clerk called the number and the back of the card and after a while got to speak with a manager for the card company. They said they weren't processing at OD stores for a "technical" reason, and had no idea when the "issue" would be resolved. Guess I'll check back tomorrow.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 8:19 pm

I had the same "technical" problem this afternoon. We did a little shopping and had an early dinner out. Went back after dinner and purchased with no problem. So I think it has been resolved!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.