Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2012, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
Only one OD in the area still had any, and I only found 2 (which were behind a PrePaid AMEX, not in the normal Vanilla Reload stock). The manager came out and said that these were no longer being sold because Chase knew what everyone was up to and got OD to stop selling these. There were 2 left and he let me buy them at $200 each, but that was it.

I thought I'd inject some humor into this -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6R5cEEqXpk
i'm sadly amongst the very few who have never seen a VR in an OD but OMG your video was hilarious. thanks for putting it together for the rest of us to enjoy
Old Nov 10, 2012, 7:37 pm

deleted

Last edited by brownie20; Nov 10, 2012 at 7:38 pm Reason: accidental duplicate posting
Old Nov 10, 2012, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Oh FFS, would you tone down the drama queen crap and give it a rest already?
some people never change.....
Old Nov 10, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: A Few Here, A Few There
Originally Posted by amolkold
I thought I'd inject some humor into this -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6R5cEEqXpk
Just fantastic! Thanks for the laugh!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 7:50 pm

Anyone live near Murrietta

Anyone live near Murrietta, CA? It's a worth a trip to the store
Old Nov 10, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
Think of who is to blame and which evil bloggers posted their pictures right in Office Depot holding the cards. They stole the money right from your pocket. They ruined a lot of peoples lives and their increased awareness of the deal is what killed it.
Now THAT'S pretty funny. Hyperbole at it's finest!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 7:58 pm

Programs: As many as I can!
Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
Think of who is to blame and which evil bloggers posted their pictures right in Office Depot holding the cards. They stole the money right from your pocket. They ruined a lot of peoples lives and their increased awareness of the deal is what killed it.
You have such a wonderful way with words!

BTW, it still works, but requires an extra step. You can always buy a Visa, AMEX, or MasterCard from Office Depot and buy the Vanilla Reloads at CVS or Walgreen's or anywhere else which takes a credit card.

Yes, you also pay the gift card fee, but something is better than nothing.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Another view to this whole vanilla thing is that maybe it just ran its course. Faster than anticipated but still ran.

I mean it could also have been worse... Chase or bluebird or others could have held up our funds, closed all kinds of accounts, filed fraud and sar reports and pulled a netspend by making countless people wait for a month or longer for their money back.

Instead the vanillas were just pulled. Bleeding stopped at the source. T&cs changed-- like when UA capped the bonus limit on last years' MOM promo only in a way a lot quieter because no Vanilla Insider posted on flyertalk.

But i bet one read the blogs or all these posts.

Most who may have considered getting the bb at wmt were among a rare set of folk who do cash checks legitimately but cutrently have no bank means. Most other wmt check cashing folk are probably illicit and therefore reluctant to get even the bb card.

Since its so new, however, this also leaves us with the bulk of people doing it--and the first users of bill pay with it at wmt, and that would be all of us.

Walmart is not necessarily proven to be the fault here... Do you think the regular check cashing population was buying vanillas? No it was just us doing that. The bb is still good for dd load and debit card bill pay.

If this does continue to tumble, the next thing well see are the debit card banks no longer giving miles or blocking them for certain things
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Million Mile Secrets

BTW, it still works, but requires an extra step. You can always buy a Visa, AMEX, or MasterCard from Office Depot and buy the Vanilla Reloads at CVS or Walgreen's or anywhere else which takes a credit card.

Multiple OD stores told me that there will be a $200 credit card limit put into place soon. So $200 with a $5 fee means 1000 UR. And then buy a $196.05 VR with a $3.95 fee, means you're spending $9 for 1000 UR as opposed to $4 for 2500 UR.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Million Mile Secrets

Shhh if you tell that too loudly then next week somehow all of those gcs will conveniently no longer be avail at the chain
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
The only one should be blamed is greedy AmericanExpress.

Vanilla is dead

The whole story behind vanilla is American Express. They always try to take advantage of other bank, especially Chase. American Express prepaid card is unexpected popular because of vanilla, OD and chase. But it is just within points and miles community. Without vanilla, do you still have interest to use american express prepaid card?

American Express is too greedy. Bluebird is disaster for chase. Suddenly everyone knows that trick. It is easy for chase to cut down this deal, just threaten the OD to terminate the relationship if OD continue to sell vanilla.

That is the story.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
Agree, when I know bluebird, I was not happy and I use my ink bold and ink plus buy the maximum vanilla in the following week because I know it will be dead soon.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Great video!

Last edited by JudyJFLA; Nov 10, 2012 at 9:05 pm
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by DOUDOU1980
Agree, when I know bluebird, I was not happy and I use my ink bold and ink plus buy the maximum vanilla in the following week because I know it will be dead soon.

I hope we can enjoy this deal one more year. That is 50k*5=250k united miles.
That is almost two round trip business tickets to anywhere.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
nice random not completely comprehensible thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.