Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by webazoid
on the bright side, i found a cvs w/ Vanillas. saw a tag that said 10/17 which i assume was the first day they had them. bought one w/ my credit card w/o any hiccups.
But thats x6 only for Hilton Amex card, right? Chase Ink would only get 1 per dollar.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:57 pm

I was thinking of depositing money into my bluebird from a debit card. Looking at the Bluebird website, it appears that there is a $100 daily limit and a $2 fee per load. Has this always been the case?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by setho212
I was thinking of depositing money into my bluebird from a debit card. Looking at the Bluebird website, it appears that there is a $100 daily limit and a $2 fee per load. Has this always been the case?
If you load directly online, yes. Go into Walmart and you have a higher limit with no fee.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
If you load directly online, yes. Go into Walmart and you have a higher limit with no fee.
I thought that was the case but cant find that info anywhere on the Bluebird website. Is it possible they have changed the terms?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
I'm such small beans here but am happy for the very minor amount of spend I got in at OD ($1,780). Didn't use any card other than my new IB (with it's nice new card smell). Got a new modem/router too. Didn't load up on miles with Delta card since we're working on the minimum spend with 5 new Chase cards. Those are first priority. Fortunately it looks like Chase is going to lower the required spend on IB to $5k. Since all the cards are with Chase I wasn't going to mess up my accounts by just having reload cards satisfy all the spend requirements, whether it was for 5x UR points or 1x. While it sounds like others may be playing around with $20k on reload cards, that's out of my comfort zone.

I began a search for new cc's back in August because we were maxing out the benefits of our MR Visas. I've been around flyertalk for a number of years and with the help of the community here we've churned a whopping 14 cc's. so it was only natural for me to do some catching up at ft when I was looking for new cards.

Somewhere in the timespan between my last serious flyertalk layover and August, blogging came into being a new business for a passionate group. dH is a Civil War blogger so I understand the drive/outlet aspect to blogging. As I was reading through the forums there was mention of "Gary said...". Gary? Who's Gary? Finally, there was a link to "View From The Wing" so I took a look. Since VFTW is on the Boardingarea website I first thought BA was Gary's website and VFTW was the editorial section. Soon, though, I figured out the collective group of BA bloggers. During the same 2 month timeframe I also came across MMS's website. Probably from a flyertalk link.

By Oct. I had a plan for our next cc churn and the BB came out. The IB was on our list of cards as I actually do have a garden design business registered in MI with it's own DBA. I wanted the IB for Internet/phone expense. BB was just a pleasant bonus that would maybe last, maybe not according to both the blogs and forums.

During this time I found MilesBuzz. Previously my ft reading was confined to forums for the programs we participated in. For me it was several months of intense ft and blog reading. I became a complete bore to anyone who would listen. In the end I laid out the plan to DH and we sat one evening to begin the app process. Then it was a trip to the bank to beg for even another card. They nicely obliged.

I've been glued to this thread. The info, the help, the nonsense, the confusion, the speculation, the drama, the cautions, the letdown and the accusations. For me I don't see it as flyertalk vs. the bloggers. If the bloggers weren't separated from the pack (some seem to do both) they would be sharing their passion here. Seems this was tHeir training ground for years before the blogs began. I've tried to point out that I knew nothing of the bloggers in August. Flyertalk led me to them. Any post, whether complimentary or complaining that mentions a blogger is directly tied to whatever sharing goes on in that blog. So anyone pointing an accusatory finger should be careful they don't poke their eye out.

Winding up, I want to thank everyone, flyertalkers and bloggers, for the sharing. We're moving along with the current plan and in 3months I already have a plan for the next batch of cards. I'll make a conscious effort to talk about something other than cards/miles/points/BB to my friends and family.

And thank you so very much amokold for the video. . .that was a terrific laugh. Then I shared it with DH and got to laugh again. Wonderful!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by setho212
I thought that was the case but cant find that info anywhere on the Bluebird website. Is it possible they have changed the terms?
From a Debit Card $2 per load ($100 daily debit fund limit)
Cash through Walmart $1 (fee no longer applies)

Debit has been included under cash through Walmart.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pcharles
PointsG is still pimping this hard and strong, just this morning
"For instance, you can still get in on American Express’s Bluebird card, which I’ve been writing about a lot lately, and the lucrative bonus points you can earn by buying Vanilla Reloads at Office Depot. While there aren’t Office Depots in China, if you have a friend in the US that you trust to buy Vanilla Reloads for you and load them onto your Bluebird card, there’s no reason you can’t take advantage of the powerful spending tool the Bluebird card can be. And even if you’re not earning the 5x potential bonus by buying Vanilla Reloads at office supply stores, you can still get them at other outlets including CVS, where you can use a points-earning card to purchase them and then use the money to pay for expenses that you couldn’t normally use a credit card for.

That said, let’s put getting new credit cards aside for a moment..
."

How bad do you think it hurt for him to even start typing that last line?

He's even suggesting you recruit your friends here to search out a dead deal. Pimping cards hard than ever this weekend and not even as much as a warning of recent events to the unsuspecting reader. Nice new low.
Wow. Shameless.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
But thats x6 only for Hilton Amex card, right? Chase Ink would only get 1 per dollar.
yup, just 1 per dollar. i see the value of cvs more of getting minimum spending requirement as well as getting occasional points at .8 cents/point. and it's kinda fun too.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by webazoid
yup, just 1 per dollar. i see the value of cvs more of getting minimum spending requirement as well as getting occasional points at .8 cents/point. and it's kinda fun too.
Likewise. I probably wouldn't even go through the hassle with an Amex Hilton 6x at drugstores card outside of the minimum spending. Not enough points for the hassle to me.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA,Platinum AmEx, SPG Gold,WN CP
Originally Posted by volkswankin
Wow. Shameless.
Just the facts@:-)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Even with VR pulled, the reload-Amex is still available loaded up to $500...any reason not to use these - at least for normal spend?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Well there went my bluebird plan...been deployed ever since it came out and get back next week...signed up for a bluebird account and was going to go shopping for ice cream.....now back to the drawing board
Old Nov 11, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
By "reload-Amex", do you mean the Amex prepaid or the Target Amex? If you mean the Amex prepaid, you'll need VRs to reload it. If you mean the Target Amex, the load and unload fees are a lot more than with the Bird. Both options pale in comparison to what we had. I'm with BOSman who doesn't think 6X HHonors points are worth it: I don't think the Target Amex is worth the higher fees and the extra hassle, and the Prepaid doesn't work without VRs. For that matter, neither do Netspend, Mio, MyVanilla and all the rest.

Last edited by Preacher7; Nov 11, 2012 at 3:08 pm
Old Nov 11, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Preacher7
By "reload-Amex", do you mean the Amex prepaid or the Target Amex? If you mean the Amex prepaid, you'll need VRs to reload it.

Yes - Amex prepaid. Any reason you NEED to re-load it? Can't you just buy several and use them individually? Once depleted, trash it and buy another...
Old Nov 11, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by bertrob
Yes - Amex prepaid. Any reason you NEED to re-load it? Can't you just buy several and use them individually? Once depleted, trash it and buy another...
You can buy any single use prepaid credit card and use it like that. Not just the prepaid Amex cards, but the Vanilla Visas (as opposed to the Vanilla Reloads) as well. Single use prepaid cards was the way some people managed to get 5x UR points prior to the reloadable prepaids cards. Of course, there are lots of reasons why Bluebird was superior to this strategy, but the strategy can still work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.