Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by wcoeqpk862
Greetings! First post here so bare with me please, it just might be amateur hour!!
Not sure about the others, but I'll politely decline the invitation
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
I believe most, if not all, stores will not accept their own GC / store credit for buying Vanilla or other GC.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by warreng24
I've seen the ice cream reload cards at CVS.

Has anyone tried to purchase one of these at CVS using a CVS gift card?
A gift card resale site that I've used many many times has them for 6% off face value.

Alternatively, does OD sell CVS gift cards? Now that the ice cream cards are no longer available at OD, perhaps we can go that route using Ink?

Thanks in advance.
I was shown the screen at CVS where it says you cannot use gift cards (it specifically stated CVS cards) to purchase. There are many reports on here that say other gift cards are allowed, you just have to make them push it through.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
I was shown the screen at CVS where it says you cannot use gift cards (it specifically stated CVS cards) to purchase. There are many reports on here that say other gift cards are allowed, you just have to make them push it through.
How exactly do they push it through? Has that been established? A magic button they press? A manager override CVS card scan?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by dkelly1110
How exactly do they push it through? Has that been established? A magic button they press? A manager override CVS card scan?
They have to check the card you swipe to verify identity. IME, if it doesn't have your name on it, they balk.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by FrequentDreamer
That has been my experience as well...
Sigh I think we might be SOL. Gift cards for EVERYTHING this holiday!
As another data points, I've been to the seven CVS stores near where I live in the North Bay over the last couple weeks--some more than once--and haven't found a single one with VR. Some have the little stickers on the racks where they should go but not one has had a reload card available for sale.

Disappointing!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:50 am

Data point - no beans in Downtown Indy CVS.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:56 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by metoo
Does anyone have the address for Bank of America Home Loans for Southern California (Los Angeles area)?

I am trying to set up account on BB to pay my mortgage and I can't find the zipcode.

I have searched all over B of A website and nothing.....
I used BB to pay my mortgage and I am in the SoCal area. The address you're looking for is not in SoCal but it is where you send the check for payment. I believe for me it was somewhere in Texas.

Check out the link here on BofA website here.

When you do put in the zip code make sure you use the full 9 digit one.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Don't know if this was referenced in this thread yet or not, but Chase Freedom released it's 2013 bonus categories...

Q1 (Jan-March) includes drugstores...

You know what this means right?

3xVR at CVS for 5x points.

There is a cap of $1500, but we can at least get 3 cards for 5x points!!!!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, CO Plat, UA 1P, FB Plat, Marriott PLT, PC Plat, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Nat'l Exec
Been to several CeeVeeEss stores in the city with big shoulders, as well as the northern and southwest suburbs, and have yet to find a single bean. Grocery stores have also tightened up on allowing other reloads with CCs. Dark days, indeed.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:01 pm

First time poster here. Thanks for all the fish!

I have been to many cvs and walgreens in the orlando area.

I have found one cvs that consistently will sell me beans with cc, not really on my way from work and back.

1 walgreens has let me buy beans with amex prepaid and amex gc, but I have been turned down a few times, the system will always let it through but sometimes the cashier will not.

1 cvs that is out of beans but plenty of paypal reloads that I have bought with cc.

I applied for a paypal debit mastercard, can I use that with my pin to load my paypal balance on the bird at walmart. Is that less likely to get flagged by paypal than just sending my balance to my wife or withdrawing the balance to my checking?

I have started combining this method with the amex at red circle and using the chase ink to buy amex pp to fund it. Just need to find a free atm! I snuck into costco today for a 1.25 withdrawl but I felt like I was gonna get thrown out.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:26 pm

Well I bought the last VR at my local CVS, took me a month to clear them out. I asked about ordering more and the manager said the system keeps and inventory of the cards and should automatically reorder more.... we shall see.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin
just tried $1k debit load at walmart and it did not load. was not an issue with debit card (DL Suntrust). bought $1k reload at CVS and just tried loading a $500 and got an "error". uh oh?

well it was my own fault for forgetting that there's a $1k limit on debit per month, but the vanilla issue is still foreign. on phone with them now (took forever to get thru).

i actually successfully loaded via debit TWICE this month, already, which is probably why i forgot about the limit on debits
Vanilla and in store debit loads are part of the same bucket, capped at $1K per day, $5K per month. If you were trying to load vanilla the same day as a debit swipe you'd need to stay under that cap, or wait for tomorrow.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:50 pm

??

I seldomly need to get money orders, but I find I need a couple. Can I use BB at wallyworld to get a MO? Will post office give MO for CC?

I have a feeling the answer is no or else people would be exploiting the hell out of it, but with the BB and TargetamexPP they have pin numbers, are they only good for atm withdrawals? Wondering if you could use PIN and run it as debit?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by ricohitman
Don't know if this was referenced in this thread yet or not, but Chase Freedom released it's 2013 bonus categories...

Q1 (Jan-March) includes drugstores...

You know what this means right?

3xVR at CVS for 5x points.

There is a cap of $1500, but we can at least get 3 cards for 5x points!!!!
Someone reported this upthread along with information that they tired to purchase with Chase Freedom here at the system rejected it. Then tried another Chase card and it went through fine. So, this may not work out on the 5x with the Freedom card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.