Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:47 pm

To any of the people who paid Amex bills with BB:

Did any of you buy any vanilla with that same Amex?

This is obviously the easiest way to move things around but seems to be a fairly tight circle (and all within Amex!). Seems concerning.

Also, as a datapoint, I have been buying $1k in vanilla every week for 4 weeks and haven't had any problems with Amex (yet!), although I am nervous of FR.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
A manager at my OD said she was surprised the new VR's haven't shown up yet considering it's the holiday shopping season. She indicated they would have more fraud protection.

So what would this added fraud protection be?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:28 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gardengirl
Yep, that's the 9d I was referring to (I edited my post to correct 8d to 9d). It falls right after the section on "Debit Card". By giving debit cards their own section (9c) I think the lawyers confused the understanding of where debit cards stand with regard to Cash Funding Sources. Debit cards, their limits and fees are detailed in 9c. If the debit card rules change in 9d it should be noted in 9d that the Cash Funding Sources would include debit cards.
I disagree. WM accepts debit cards as effectively cash. Hence the ability to buy MOs and get cash back.

The intent in te document was cash and cash equivalents could be loaded at WM for no fee.

Remember, WM wants to be a bank (they've tried for years to convert their Industrial Bank into a retail operation). They want another reason to drive traffic to the store. Offering a fee break on reloads is another thing they can do to get people into the store (versus reloading online).

Think of BB as a Walmart bank account.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:29 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gardengirl
It was NYBanker's post referring to "WF" that got me looking into the Well's Fargo ppd card, and locations for WF ATM's. (Thanks NYB). Until now, the debit card fees gave me a problem. If they don't apply when used at Walmart then I'm thinking you could also use a WF ppd card ($3) monthly fee, load it with Chase card (purchase) and apply this to the BB at WM. Any other fees I'm missing?
You got it.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker
The intent in te document was cash and cash equivalents could be loaded at WM for no fee.
From the experience you've had loading BB at WM with a WF ppd I agree with the "intent" of the document. It's the "each time" in the note on 9c that needs clarification. "Each time" should mean each time in a legal document. Kind of loosy goosy for AmEx high paid lawyers.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker
You got it.
Thanks. Glad I've only bought 1 VGC so far at OD ($5.95). It's sitting at home waiting to be loaded on a VR from CVS when I get back (another $3.95). Ugh.

The only way to get a WF ppd by ordering online?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Zamboni Driver
Why not use AP, assuming you can offload from there? You can do that even from SE Asia... PM me if you need more info.
Actually in the process of doing so...just was hoping there were some other alternatives that didn't require me having to involve a friend or family member and that weren't limited to $1k/mo. I've got $4K worth off OneBean's and would rather not have to pull the cash out of my foreign high interest savings account to pay my CC off.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:12 am
Suspended

anyone try the red circle amex to reload BB in Walmart?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:09 am

I believe the WF debit card has a limit of a maximum of $600 "per transaction" - so if you want to use it to load your BB account, it appears you have to do that $600 at a time. I have not tried this yet as the closest WalMart is not very close to me. Before I head out there to do that, I've been wondering...

Let's say I have $1200 loaded on my WF debit card. Can I go to WalMart and do three $600 transactions, one after another, to move that $1200 from the WF DC to BB? Has anyone here done that?

Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:20 am

Programs: Yes.
No, you should checkout the first page of the WF thread for more details. It's 600/day cap.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 2:58 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by member7777
anyone try the red circle amex to reload BB in Walmart?
Do you mean a Target Amex debit card?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Good for you to do the digging.

Now someone can try it aboard - though God helps you in case your BB is stolen and you need to call to report it. (This would be just as tough if it happens domestically.)

One more consideration - the exchange rate used to convert it to the US fund on the account. AMEX is not famous for competitive exchange rate fwiw.
Very good points. Regarding traveling abroad, I think the best is to carry a subaccount card. In case of stolen, we could just logon to online account to suspend it immediately or transfer funds back to the main account (before we call to report it).
Old Nov 29, 2012, 5:54 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
I had asked Amex and just made a charge internationally last week and the exchange rate was fair and there were no transaction fees.

When I heard about no ATM fees on the Frequent Miler Blog I was intrigued because the best I have right now is 1% of the amount taken out.

Headed to Asia next month - will try and see if it works
Originally Posted by Happy
Good for you to do the digging.

Now someone can try it aboard - though God helps you in case your BB is stolen and you need to call to report it. (This would be just as tough if it happens domestically.)

One more consideration - the exchange rate used to convert it to the US fund on the account. AMEX is not famous for competitive exchange rate fwiw.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by filelover
I had asked Amex and just made a charge internationally last week and the exchange rate was fair and there were no transaction fees.

When I heard about no ATM fees on the Frequent Miler Blog I was intrigued because the best I have right now is 1% of the amount taken out.

Headed to Asia next month - will try and see if it works
I am living in China and I use it here and the exchange rate is within +/- 0.05 of the actual exchange rate. Pretty good deal and convenient.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Aerosfire
To any of the people who paid Amex bills with BB:

Did any of you buy any vanilla with that same Amex?

This is obviously the easiest way to move things around but seems to be a fairly tight circle (and all within Amex!). Seems concerning.

Also, as a datapoint, I have been buying $1k in vanilla every week for 4 weeks and haven't had any problems with Amex (yet!), although I am nervous of FR.
I have done this and the payment posted. No problems so far. Only 1K reloads bought and I had a few other purchases on the card that month as well. I can't see Amex having a problem using BB to pay your CC bill (that is its purpose) but the real question is how many beans they are comfortable with you buying. For me I might be comfortable trying to go up to 2K a month but probably won't try to push it past that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.