Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2012, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by setho212
If no one lost money on sending money in a cycle, then why was OD forced to pull the cards? I believe that Chase clearly put pressure on them because they were handing out tons of points for nothing. Now I know that things aren't exactly the same now that we are only earning 1 point per dollar, but I can't imagine that credit card companies are thrilled to be handing out points for practically nothing.

Credit card companies also make a lot of money off of the interest they charge cardholders who do not pay their bill in full each month. Its been said many times that the most valuable client to a credit card company is not the person who pays their bill off each month, but the person who provides lots of interest income. Credit card companies might not be losing money on cycling but I bet they arent exactly enamored with clients such as us.
What leverage would Chase have over OD or any other retailer
Old Dec 31, 2012, 1:57 pm

Credit card companies also make a lot of money off of the interest they charge cardholders who do not pay their bill in full each month. Its been said many times that the most valuable client to a credit card company is not the person who pays their bill off each month, but the person who provides lots of interest income. Credit card companies might not be losing money on cycling but I bet they arent exactly enamored with clients such as us.
they hate us. ask ben stein: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...s/credit/view/
Old Dec 31, 2012, 2:23 pm

Perhaps I was a bit hyperbolic in my statement. I do not believe that everyone out there is just interested in short term gains. I am just a bit disappointed at the influx of people who dont seem to have the long term point of view that you and I have. I am thankful for people out there such as yourself and hope that you and I continue to benefit from this game for years to come.
I agree that slow and steady is in the best interests of everyone. In fact, I started a thread not too long ago to try to set up some standards to prevent people from going overboard. Many people found that laughable, and the thread was (inexplicably) locked. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ules-game.html

If no one lost money on sending money in a cycle, then why was OD forced to pull the cards? I believe that Chase clearly put pressure on them because they were handing out tons of points for nothing. Now I know that things aren't exactly the same now that we are only earning 1 point per dollar, but I can't imagine that credit card companies are thrilled to be handing out points for practically nothing.

You're moving the target now. Your initial point, which I took issue with, was that cycling money causes at least one of the companies to lose money, whereas using VR and BB for its "intended purpose" does not have that effect. I fail to see how there is any difference whether you use BB to pay off CC bills or student loans. Maybe I'm wrong and there actually is a difference. If that is the case, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, I think you have to acknowledge that there is no difference between these scenarios. Credit card companies are "handing out points for practically nothing" regardless of whether you pay off CC bills or student loans.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL GM
Found a sweet stash of beans at a gas station, going to mine this vein until it gives out. Double points on "fuel" purchases!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: UR, *A, UA
Originally Posted by flymonthly
Yep, but I'm afraid I might get drummed out of the "Keep Portland Weird" society if I reveal too much to a carpetbagger from down south.
Ohhhh why I ouggta!!!! Would it help if I support the local beer & wine industry? Umm heavily? And I'm pretty weird so...
Old Dec 31, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Any gas stations in Southern Cal. sell beans?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
The problm with that is it might be seen as money laundering since it just goes in a circle and no product/service is actually purchased. I'd be afraid it would trigger an Amex financial review.
The term 'money laundering' is loosely used here(FT) often, usually 'cash money' transaction has to involved in the circle.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA, HH
I would agree that the only possible side that looses the money here is banks who give out points. Since the game shifted from OD+Ink (I believe I was the last straw - you can blame me for VR pulled out of OD - happened as soon as I got my first VR cards at OD ) - and now spread through a number of cards/ banks/ points programs that give out points - it should last some time.

I would also say that it makes sense to diversify between different programs - hotels, miles, UR, TYP - there are plenty of opportunities with more than 2x return...

In addition, as it was mentioned, since it's gotten less straight forward than buy VR at OD, load BB, pay, repeat - that extra 1 or 2 steps keeps a lot of newbies out of the game... So, personally, I don't mind that VR were pulled out of OD - the game will last longer
Old Dec 31, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I don't believe it's clear at all that Chase pressured OD into anything.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Frinkiac7
Found a sweet stash of beans at a gas station, going to mine this vein until it gives out. Double points on "fuel" purchases!
Sorry, newby question, what are "beans"
Old Dec 31, 2012, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by bates40
really?

I think you should go back to the first 10 pages of this thread and read.
Then if you still have questions, ask again.

BTW, welcome to FT.

EDIT:
Ha! I must laugh at myself. This newbie is new since 2002.
Well anyway, welcome to posting.^

My advice remains the same. Please read and then come back if questions or PM some of the active members within the thread. Many here are willing to help, but familiarizing yourself to recognize your own interest will save others time, if you decide this is not for you.^

Last edited by shoreline; Dec 31, 2012 at 8:42 pm
Old Dec 31, 2012, 8:15 pm

google is your friend

Originally Posted by bates40
i just did a quick google search for you:

Noun
An edible seed, typically kidney-shaped, growing in long pods on certain leguminous plants.
Verb
Hit (someone) on the head.

i like the verb more.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Anyone notice the new stock of beans don't have the AMEX logo on the front any more? Commence speculation... :-P
Old Dec 31, 2012, 9:06 pm

BB question unrelated to points/miles

I have read through the T&C, but thought I would ask here.

We have a college student that I would like to set up a BB account for ease of $ transfers.

Has anyone done this? I am wondering if I should put the school address on the account (for a different address), just use our home address (this creates 2 accounts at same address) or just set up a sub account in stead of a separate account?

I am wondering because people have reported (AP troubles here and maybe on blogs) of trouble due to sending $ back and forth between spouses. We would not be sending large amounts per month.

I realize BB and AP are not the same program, but I am curious what others have done/experienced regarding college students.

I know it's not against the BB T&C to have multiple accounts within same address for different people, and should not raise red flags, but just curious.

The transfered $ would def. show to be used for daily expenses, restaurants, gas, etc.^
Old Dec 31, 2012, 9:15 pm

added info. or this may answer my own question.

We do not nearly hit the $5K monthly limit.
Not that we cannot, but I really don't want to push the limits; so we just pay a few bills that would otherwise not earn points (mortgage, etc).

So the sub account may be the way to go as the college student would def. be using daily expenditures on the card and we just use the billpay service.

thoughts??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.