Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by frozyn
That's only if you do it online. Doing a Cash Swipe using your debit card at WM has no fees. Limits are $1000 a day, $5000 a month, shared with VR.
From what I gather you need a pin, however? So no go with the OneBean cards that have nothing more associated with them than a zip, I'm assuming.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by High PSI
From what I gather you need a pin, however? So no go with the OneBean cards that have nothing more associated with them than a zip, I'm assuming.
Correct. No PIN, no go.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Has anyone used the Bluebird card at an International ATM? Read somewhere that there were no fees to use it internationally but on the bluebird site all I read about is about ATMs in the US.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by filelover
Has anyone used the Bluebird card at an International ATM? Read somewhere that there were no fees to use it internationally but on the bluebird site all I read about is about ATMs in the US.
Unless you find it in FAQ you should not assume such.

AMEX Prepaid is touted by AMEX that does not have forex fee. BB does not have such feature being advertised.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 7:51 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Correct. No PIN, no go.
Ugh, I'm never going to get rid of these OneBean cards! Leaving Monday to travel South East Asia for 6-months and these can't be used for foreign transactions...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by frozyn
That's only if you do it online. Doing a Cash Swipe using your debit card at WM has no fees. Limits are $1000 a day, $5000 a month, shared with VR.
Thank you for clearing that up. All I've done so far is load my BB online with a VR. I looked at the Member Agreement under the topic of Debit Cards (9c). It's confusing. 9d refers to "cash funding sources". They could have helped my thick skull by adding "this includes debit cards".

This is from 9c:

"Please note:

A fee, as provided in Section 15, will be charged by us each time you add funds to the Account from your Debit Card and will be assessed against the Available Funds in your Account.
The aggregate amount of funds you may add to the Account from your Debit Card(s) may not exceed $100 per day and $1,000 per month, subject to additional limits in circumstances in which we have not verified all of the identity and other personal information you have provided us."

See, it even says "each time". No mention that this changes when debit cards are used at "participating retailer".

BTW, are other "participating retailers" coming soon? Anyone know?

Last edited by gardengirl; Nov 28, 2012 at 8:59 pm Reason: Edited to correct 8c & 8d to 9c & 9d
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by gardengirl
Thank you for clearing that up. All I've done so far is load my BB online with a VR. I looked at the Member Agreement under the topic of Debit Cards (8c). It's confusing.

BTW, are other "participating retailers" coming soon? Anyone know?
I was going to answer you as well, but I seen frozyn beat me to it (which is great). I'm a newbie to the BB as well. So I am just collecting info. and trying things along the way.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:35 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Debit Cards, when used at WalMart, cound as "Cash Funding Sources," and falls into "other acceptable tender" below.

A Member may add funds to his or her Account by using a Vanilla Reload Network® Prepaid Reload (a “Prepaid Reload”), by presenting his or her Card and cash or other acceptable tender at a participating retailer (a “Swipe Reload”), and by using other cash funding sources and methods accepted by us from time to time (collectively, “Cash Funding Sources”).

We reserve the right to delay the availability of funds added to your Account from any of these Cash Funding Sources until such funds have cleared and posted to your Account, although such funds will generally post within thirty (30) minutes of the funding transaction. We may change accepted tender types and funding methods for the Account at any time for legal, risk management, security or other purposes.

Please note:

Each transaction using Swipe Reload must be at least US$1. Each transaction using other Cash Funding Sources must be at least US$20.00. The maximum amount of funds you may add to your Account via Cash Funding Sources is $1,000 on any day and $5,000 in any calendar month.

Last edited by NYBanker; Nov 28, 2012 at 8:40 pm Reason: Italicized the text. :)
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Unless you find it in FAQ you should not assume such.

AMEX Prepaid is touted by AMEX that does not have forex fee. BB does not have such feature being advertised.
From the bluebird home page:

"No foreign exchange fees"

https://bluebird.com/
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Found a huge stock of VR tonight at a drugstore in NYC that accepts credit for purchase... they ARE out there!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by summerdayshopping
From the bluebird home page:

"No foreign exchange fees"

https://bluebird.com/
Good for you to do the digging.

Now someone can try it aboard - though God helps you in case your BB is stolen and you need to call to report it. (This would be just as tough if it happens domestically.)

One more consideration - the exchange rate used to convert it to the US fund on the account. AMEX is not famous for competitive exchange rate fwiw.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by High PSI
Ugh, I'm never going to get rid of these OneBean cards! Leaving Monday to travel South East Asia for 6-months and these can't be used for foreign transactions...
Why not use AP, assuming you can offload from there? You can do that even from SE Asia... PM me if you need more info.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
So we can quit buying beans for $3.95 and just use a miles earning debit? It counts as a purchase as well?? No OfficeMax in my town any longer!! Also is the reload to BB done at register or Money Center?

Cheers!

JudyJFLA

Originally Posted by NYBanker
Debit Cards, when used at WalMart, cound as "Cash Funding Sources," and falls into "other acceptable tender" below.

A Member may add funds to his or her Account by using a Vanilla Reload Network® Prepaid Reload (a “Prepaid Reload”), by presenting his or her Card and cash or other acceptable tender at a participating retailer (a “Swipe Reload”), and by using other cash funding sources and methods accepted by us from time to time (collectively, “Cash Funding Sources”).

We reserve the right to delay the availability of funds added to your Account from any of these Cash Funding Sources until such funds have cleared and posted to your Account, although such funds will generally post within thirty (30) minutes of the funding transaction. We may change accepted tender types and funding methods for the Account at any time for legal, risk management, security or other purposes.

Please note:

Each transaction using Swipe Reload must be at least US$1. Each transaction using other Cash Funding Sources must be at least US$20.00. The maximum amount of funds you may add to your Account via Cash Funding Sources is $1,000 on any day and $5,000 in any calendar month.

Last edited by JudyJFLA; Nov 28, 2012 at 9:36 pm
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:31 pm

Please note:

Yep, that's the 9d I was referring to (I edited my post to correct 8d to 9d). It falls right after the section on "Debit Card". By giving debit cards their own section (9c) I think the lawyers confused the understanding of where debit cards stand with regard to Cash Funding Sources. Debit cards, their limits and fees are detailed in 9c. If the debit card rules change in 9d it should be noted in 9d that the Cash Funding Sources would include debit cards.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:46 pm

To load via a card at WM, it has to be a pin-based card.

Visa GCs aren't pin-based, so they will not work (even though they typically say "debit" on them) at WM. I have used Vanilla and WF ppd cards to load my Bluebird at WM.
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
So we can quit buying beans for $3.95 and just use a miles earning debit? It counts as a purchase as well?? No OfficeMax in my town any longer!! Also is the reload to BB done at register or Money Center?

Cheers!

JudyJFLA
It was NYBanker's post referring to "WF" that got me looking into the Well's Fargo ppd card, and locations for WF ATM's. (Thanks NYB). Until now, the debit card fees gave me a problem. If they don't apply when used at Walmart then I'm thinking you could also use a WF ppd card ($3) monthly fee, load it with Chase card (purchase) and apply this to the BB at WM. Any other fees I'm missing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.