Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by econjon
No, you should checkout the first page of the WF thread for more details. It's 600/day cap.
Wrong!! I have been doing two charges of $600 at the same time. Haven't tried 3 charges yet.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by gardengirl
A manager at my OD said she was surprised the new VR's haven't shown up yet considering it's the holiday shopping season. She indicated they would have more fraud protection.

So what would this added fraud protection be?
Lower yield is my guess. There were comments that indicated that the new OD beans will be capped at $200, presumably with the same $3.95 fee. That is a ~2% fee instead of a 0.8% fee if $500 was loaded. Wouldn't stop some one with a 5X reward card, but would stop many others and improve profitability for the stores.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by chinookie
I believe the WF debit card has a limit of a maximum of $600 "per transaction" - so if you want to use it to load your BB account, it appears you have to do that $600 at a time. I have not tried this yet as the closest WalMart is not very close to me. Before I head out there to do that, I've been wondering...

Let's say I have $1200 loaded on my WF debit card. Can I go to WalMart and do three $600 transactions, one after another, to move that $1200 from the WF DC to BB? Has anyone here done that?

Thanks.
I have done two $600 transactions at the same time at WM a few times.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:34 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I believe the WF debit card has a limit of a maximum of $600 "per transaction" - so if you want to use it to load your BB account, it appears you have to do that $600 at a time. I have not tried this yet as the closest WalMart is not very close to me. Before I head out there to do that, I've been wondering...

Let's say I have $1200 loaded on my WF debit card. Can I go to WalMart and do three $600 transactions, one after another, to move that $1200 from the WF DC to BB? Has anyone here done that?

Thanks.
If you have $1200 and you can do 3x $600 I want in on that deal. WAY better than anything else being discussed on this thread
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:39 am
Suspended

Thanks.
No, nobody has done it and nobody can do it.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:15 am

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
Anyone know of a pharmacy to get beans in Midtown Manhattan? I've looked at several CVS and Walgreens with no luck. Feel free to pm if that's easier. Thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by rst113
I have done this and the payment posted. No problems so far. Only 1K reloads bought and I had a few other purchases on the card that month as well. I can't see Amex having a problem using BB to pay your CC bill (that is its purpose) but the real question is how many beans they are comfortable with you buying. For me I might be comfortable trying to go up to 2K a month but probably won't try to push it past that.
I too have done it without incident. But will continue to tread lightly.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium

Thanks.
This was posted at 2 a.m. my time. If it was 2 a.m. you're time too it's time to take a nap. Your math is getting tired
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:52 am

the walgreens cashier showed me the checkout screen which said "Cash Tender Only" and would not accept credit cards. Does each location have different IT systems? I went to a different walgreens last week with no issues
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by nlfmanager
the walgreens cashier showed me the checkout screen which said "Cash Tender Only" and would not accept credit cards. Does each location have different IT systems? I went to a different walgreens last week with no issues
Kind of answered your own question, but, apparently yes.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Aerosfire
Seems concerning...
...I have been buying $1k in vanilla every week for 4 weeks...
Should be concerning. You are playing with fire. That's some dire health circumstances amounting to $4k worth of drugs.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by gardengirl
This was posted at 2 a.m. my time. If it was 2 a.m. you're time too it's time to take a nap. Your math is getting tired

Indeed - it was a long night. And I had just spent an hour converting a stack of Visa gift cards I had purchased at various Office Supply stores (using an Ink card, of course) into Apple Store gift cards to purchase an iPad at the online Apple store - so got 5X UR points for the wife's Xmas gift (shhhh - hope she's not lurking here...). So yeah, my math was a little fuzzy there.

So even though three $600 BB loads won't work with $1200 on my WF card (don't we all wish!), it does sound like two $600 BB loads would work - so what i was really wondering about - "multiple transactions" in a single visit to Walmart - looks like it'll go.
^
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:25 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Transfer from BB to my Chase checking on Monday just arrived. 4 straight business days. fyi.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:31 am
Suspended

So even though three $600 BB loads won't work with $1200 on my WF card (don't we all wish!), it does sound like two $600 BB loads would work
That also won't work.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum

Indeed - it was a long night. And I had just spent an hour converting a stack of Visa gift cards I had purchased at various Office Supply stores (using an Ink card, of course) into Apple Store gift cards to purchase an iPad at the online Apple store - so got 5X UR points for the wife's Xmas gift (shhhh - hope she's not lurking here...). So yeah, my math was a little fuzzy there.

So even though three $600 BB loads won't work with $1200 on my WF card (don't we all wish!), it does sound like two $600 BB loads would work - so what i was really wondering about - "multiple transactions" in a single visit to Walmart - looks like it'll go.
^
wait a second, isn't the $600 transaction limit only for "online" orders? I was under the impression that the limit was $5000 for in-person transactions...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.