Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: UR, *A, UA
Originally Posted by sktnyc
A grocery store and a magazine always has plenty of ice cream, but they insist I have to pay by cash. Out of 10+ tries, I was able to buy the card with a cc twice.
Ohh thanks for that. I didn't even think of that location but might try that. We'll see if I have to whip out greenbacks or not. ^
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by summerdayshopping

Therefore, each year you spend $358.80 ($29.90 * 12) to get 12120 points (505 * 2 * 12 -- I rounded 504.95 to 505), and it translates to $0.0296 per point...

Thanks for the analysis. It's cheaper/easier simply to buy the AAdvantage miles before Dec 31 for 2 cpm. (and earn miles on the charged amount ) ^
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS GOLD
Got my first VR with my new Citi Advantage credit card. Only doing this for the spending bonus. The store has plenty of them. Wasnt sure if I can purchase with credit card. I bought a couple other things as well. I brought the items and VR to cahsier. Cashier was wondering if the credit card purchase will work. She talked herself into trying it. I said sure. Doesnt hurt. BAM! Approved and worked.

I was tempted to get a few more. But I didnt because I didnt want to alarm the store. More importantly, I want to peeps to get them too.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by EL3V3N
guys and gals please amend your posts as spelling it out like that WILL kill it. plus paypal is run by NS which will shut you down pronto. Please, everyone use PM and be discreet for specific advice.
Hey, I sent YOU a PM (with a question about one of your previous posts) - to be discreet as you said - but you never replied. Maybe you missed it. I'll try resending.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by SESTAR
Got my first VR with my new Citi Advantage credit card. Only doing this for the spending bonus. The store has plenty of them. Wasnt sure if I can purchase with credit card. I bought a couple other things as well. I brought the items and VR to cahsier. Cashier was wondering if the credit card purchase will work. She talked herself into trying it. I said sure. Doesnt hurt. BAM! Approved and worked.

I was tempted to get a few more. But I didnt because I didnt want to alarm the store. More importantly, I want to peeps to get them too.
I could swear someone mentioned earlier in this thread that Citi classifies these purchases as cash advances. You may want to check your statement (and let us know afterwards).
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:31 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
re zamboni:

doubtful
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zamboni Driver
I could swear someone mentioned earlier in this thread that Citi classifies these purchases as cash advances. You may want to check your statement (and let us know afterwards).
You're likely thinking of Amex direct sourced gift cards
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:36 pm

Anyone out there had any luck in the Denver, CO area? We don't have CVS here, but I have been to all sorts of Walgreens, Family Dollar, gas stations, etc without any luck.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
i have purchased with citi cards and they were listed as purcahses.
to all int he bay area i would recommend remaining calm, here in so cal there were no VR in CVS about 1 montha ago, then some started to get the "new rack" with reloadable amex cards and spots for the vr's, then a week later one store had the VR but surrounding 8 did not, a few days later one by one the stores started to get them. I would buy just one at first, oftne they said i think this might not work with a credit card, i would reply oh these are new cards and they usually work with credit cards, these even have the amex symbol on them. they ususaly say well ill try it and it has always gone through and they usually comment oh these must work with credit, i thnk them and go on my way
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
datapoint: Went to OD to get some beans GC's today and the manager had to be called to approve 3 cards, when she came she asked for my id and scrutinized the thing like Sherlock Holmes would up until the receipt printed and she verified the number on my cc with the number on the receipt, she then smiled and apologized for the extra precautions and mentioned that its necessary because there was a fraud ring that was going around buying Vanilla cards and loading them onto prepaid amex cards. She told me about a guy that used to come in and spend $4k daily until corporate called her and had her shut him off because they thought he was involved in money laundering (more like point laundering )
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
You're likely thinking of Amex direct sourced gift cards
Indeed... Thank you for clarifying and the reminder, I've been (erroneously) staying away from Citi AA cards for that very reason.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by Achilles
I know people had to close their serve accounts before signing up for BB. However, some have been able to sign up for serve again (after BB sign-up) according to comments on FM's blog. Did anybody else successfully sign-up for serve after BB?
I would like to know the answer to this as well. If it's a guarded secret, please PM me.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:12 pm

Indeed... Thank you for clarifying and the reminder, I've been (erroneously) staying away from Citi AA cards for that very reason.
Additional second-hand report: I believe there's another item to avoid using citi cards for: when loading funds onto a Wells Fargo prepaid debit card. I've read (multiple) reports that this is coded as a cash advance. Other cards (eg Chase) code that as a purchase. I can not confirm that citi codes such a load as a CA - but I have not tried (and don't plan to, since the reports seem pretty credible and I have no reason to doubt them).

First-hand: I have used both city visa and city amex cards to purchase VRs at Office Depot (it turned out, in the last 24 hours before the plug was pulled on that lucrative combination) and they were coded as purchases.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by shoreline
From reading all the threads, this is what I thought as well (but have not tried it personally).
But wait! Wouldn't this have a $100 a day limit and a $2 fee per $100???

From Bluebird website, #15 of Member Agreement:

"From a Debit Card
(per load, $100 daily limit) $2"
Old Nov 28, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by gardengirl
But wait! Wouldn't this have a $100 a day limit and a $2 fee per $100???

From Bluebird website, #15 of Member Agreement:

"From a Debit Card
(per load, $100 daily limit) $2"
That's only if you do it online. Doing a Cash Swipe using your debit card at WM has no fees. Limits are $1000 a day, $5000 a month, shared with VR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.