FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

iahphx May 15, 14 2:01 pm


Originally Posted by DWinger (Post 22816432)
I think it is definitely related to the Target data breach. Check out the fat wallet post. Someone stated the cards they had loaded during the breach were the ones compromised. Same with the card I had used during that time. Also, the fraudulant charges were made at the same locations. Fortunately I only had a few hundred dollars on my card but still waiting for the funds to be restored.

I just received my replacement card and I think I will give it another shot - but will keep the balance low for awhile.

This just happened to one of my cards (I've had it for a year, and used it during the Target X-mas season). I've never used the card anywhere except load at Target and unload at ATMs. The fraud occurred in the Tampa area -- they mostly drained it at gas stations.

I would urge everyone who used one of these prepaid cards at Target last Xmas to get their cards reissued. I'm on the phone right now doing that.

Can anyone tell me how long it will likely be for me to get my money back from AMEX?

EDIT: It seems obvious that there is a criminal ring operating in the Tampa area that is using these stolen Target debit card numbers. Check out this fatwallet thread:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1355489/

I actually called the Tampa Police Dept to see if they were interesting in investigating. They weren't -- "file a claim with your local police department." A shame.

littlemookie May 16, 14 6:41 am

AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities
 
You will get your funds back from Amex. I posted on this previously. It takes about 30 days for Amex to review and post the funds to your card.

iahphx May 16, 14 8:00 am


Originally Posted by littlemookie (Post 22873537)
You will get your funds back from Amex. I posted on this previously. It takes about 30 days for Amex to review and post the funds to your card.

Thanks. BTW, do "real" debit cards have fraud detection? There was obviously none here as the thieves engaged in a classic pattern of money draining (they seem to have tested the card in a coke machine, and then rang up big purchases at gas stations). I just got a Suntrust Delta account, and this experience makes me a bit afraid to use the card. I mean, if I could get my number stolen at Target -- where I swiped the card myself -- I can only imagine what could happen at Walmart. Credit cards seem a lot safer.

Toboggan May 16, 14 3:08 pm

There's an option in the online account of these cards to setup alerts for all transactions on the card. You can get an email, text or both. And they work almost instantly in most cases when you make an ATM withdrawal. You won't be able to stop the first fraudulent charge but at least you can limit the damage to just one transaction.

After reading what happened to some of you I setup alerts and I make sure to drain the card as quickly as possible.

Still an easy way to meet the minimum spend, just have to be careful.

iahphx May 16, 14 4:35 pm


Originally Posted by Toboggan (Post 22875991)
There's an option in the online account of these cards to setup alerts for all transactions on the card. You can get an email, text or both. And they work almost instantly in most cases when you make an ATM withdrawal. You won't be able to stop the first fraudulent charge but at least you can limit the damage to just one transaction.

After reading what happened to some of you I setup alerts and I make sure to drain the card as quickly as possible.

Still an easy way to meet the minimum spend, just have to be careful.

If you look at your text messages in real time, that MIGHT work, but these guys are really fast (as you'd expect given the type of crime they're committing). They seem to have tested my card at a Coke machine and within minutes drained the whole thing. So I don't know why it would be better to do self-monitoring instead of just getting your cards reissued. You'll be out-of-action for a week or so (there's a monthly activity cap anyway), and they you'll be safe. Otherwise, your card will be at risk for several more years -- my cards (like most prepaid cards) don't expire for 4 more years. That's a lot of monitoring to do. :)

anthracite May 17, 14 10:33 pm


Originally Posted by jackiesyu (Post 21103731)
If you did it in the same day, you may not be able to do it the 2nd time since they only allow you to open one per day. I had it happened to me before when cashier accidentally cancelled it when I was at the last step of initial loading of money onto the card. Then, when I tried to do it again, I can not do it any more until I visit Target a few days later.

This is still true. Finally found one, cashier cancelled, tried again with same cashier and same card, and got the slip of paper denial. Tried at a different Target nearby with a different card from that store, and got the same message.
It was kind of embarrassing being denied after having my dl scanned and entering all that personal info. Calling the Amex for Target customer service was of no use. Two different reps couldn't see the issue and wanted to connect me to Target customer service. I'm giving up on this for a few weeks since my favorite mall and office supply are occupying my time quite well, but I will try again.

payeco May 18, 14 12:33 pm


Originally Posted by anthracite (Post 22881932)
This is still true. Finally found one, cashier cancelled, tried again with same cashier and same card, and got the slip of paper denial. Tried at a different Target nearby with a different card from that store, and got the same message.
It was kind of embarrassing being denied after having my dl scanned and entering all that personal info. Calling the Amex for Target customer service was of no use. Two different reps couldn't see the issue and wanted to connect me to Target customer service. I'm giving up on this for a few weeks since my favorite mall and office supply are occupying my time quite well, but I will try again.

This happened to me too yesterday. I was pissed because the closest target that has them is 45 minutes away so the trip was a total waste.

The reason we canceled it the first time is because I was going to load them with AGCs I got from the current Giant gas rewards deal and she wouldn't let me pay with it.

Electroman May 19, 14 9:06 am

Have any of you been able to register an AFT card in the last week or so? I'm not able to do so - I get a 404 error after entering my account information (username, password, etc - the second screen). I've tried this with three browsers on three different computers in two different states, and that's all that I get.

My secondary question is - what are the implications of not being able to register this? Obviously no web access, but what, if anything, else?

littlemookie May 19, 14 9:45 am


Originally Posted by Electroman (Post 22888224)
Have any of you been able to register an AFT card in the last week or so? I'm not able to do so - I get a 404 error after entering my account information (username, password, etc - the second screen). I've tried this with three browsers on three different computers in two different states, and that's all that I get.

My secondary question is - what are the implications of not being able to register this? Obviously no web access, but what, if anything, else?

This happened to me when I registered a card for a friend of mine. I changed the user name and started over again and finally got it to register. You need online access to find out the PIN for ATM access. I'm not sure if they can tell you the PIN over the phone.

Toboggan May 19, 14 10:29 am


Originally Posted by Electroman (Post 22888224)
Have any of you been able to register an AFT card in the last week or so? I'm not able to do so - I get a 404 error after entering my account information (username, password, etc - the second screen). I've tried this with three browsers on three different computers in two different states, and that's all that I get.

My secondary question is - what are the implications of not being able to register this? Obviously no web access, but what, if anything, else?

I just registered my permanent card last week and my temporary one not too long before that. Initially I kept missing a zero on my temp card and it wouldn't let me register.

Also the website can't handle complex passwords so that was also giving me trouble. Once I figured out both of those problems it worked flawlessly.

I'd setup an online account for transaction alerts to alert you of any fraudulent activity.

cancerisking May 19, 14 11:52 am

Going to try loading my card for the first time today with VGCs. Do I tell them I want to load $497 and the register will just deduct $500 from the VGC?

al456456 May 19, 14 2:42 pm


Originally Posted by psone (Post 22804243)
If someone needs a card, PM me and for a few bucks I'll grab you one or two and mail them. Our stores have loads of them.

Psone

I just received the AFT cards that you sent me after I PM you for help. Wow that was quick.

I can believe we are going to finally be able to activate them. We thank you so much for being so kind and helping us, and I want to post this comment to let everyone know you are a great member of this forum. Willing to go out of your way to help other members.

Thank you again. We are in your debt.

Sincerely,

al456456

Electroman May 19, 14 3:47 pm


Originally Posted by Toboggan (Post 22888682)
Also the website can't handle complex passwords so that was also giving me trouble.

With the help of some relatively good CSRs, my AFT is now active. I'm pretty sure that the problem was the password, although nobody really knows. I think the 404 error was the absence of the page that should have told me about the error.

Anyway, I've got it and it works now - thanks!

cancerisking May 20, 14 9:54 am

What is the maximum amount MO can you purchase with this card?

Tuppins May 20, 14 10:01 am


Originally Posted by cancerisking (Post 22894263)
What is the maximum amount MO can you purchase with this card?

I don't think you can. The PIN, to my knowledge, is *only* for ATM withdrawals (i.e., it's not really a Debit card). If you find differently, PM me. ^


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:36 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.