FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

italdesign Apr 30, 14 9:35 pm

Registering a new account worked. I first used my existing Amex CC account. It let me login but kept erroring out.

HiYoSilver Apr 30, 14 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by incendia (Post 22783481)
Only that the clerks don't like loading cards without a name on them

Today I was able to load from an Amex personal GC with no name on it. I had my Amex cover letter (with my name, address and card numbers) in my back pocket if needed, but she didn't ask. She only looked at the account number on the GC to compare to the screen. YMMV.

Next order I may get the customized business version, with my name but without company name, because my Barclay Arrival card is personal, not business.

ChessMaster1 May 1, 14 2:17 pm

When I tried to withdraw $400 at Costco, the machine only dispensed $300. I got hit with a $3 fee for this 1 withdrawal. This is my first withdrawal for the month and I was surprised with the fee. The withdrawal was somehow recorded in 2 transations: 1 debit for $301.25 and 1 credit for $301.25 (atm reversal). I don't know why the extra credit happened, but all I know is that I got hit with an extra $3 fee:mad:. I don't want to call CS because I do a lot of MS on these cards.

ntr91 May 2, 14 9:57 am

Originally Posted by italdesign (Post 22788748)
Finally found one! Back of card says "load at participating Target stores and at americanexpress.com/target".

Can we actually load online using a CC? Website doesn't let me register yet ("Error 404: Invalid path {0} was requested "), and I looked through the last ~50 posts and didn't see it discussed.

Also, I'm guessing you can load another person's AFT as long as cashier lets you (a la BB).

Online loads are ACH pull only.

incendia May 2, 14 1:41 pm

Does anyone know which bank the ATM card is associated with? I ask because I found an ATM that does not charge me a fee when I use my AFT to withdraw cash, but does charge a fee when I use my Ally card to withdraw cash. I was pleasantly surprised.

Tuppins May 2, 14 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by incendia (Post 22799272)
Does anyone know which bank the ATM card is associated with? I ask because I found an ATM that does not charge me a fee when I use my AFT to withdraw cash, but does charge a fee when I use my Ally card to withdraw cash. I was pleasantly surprised.

This is an excellent data point. Most ATMs have a sticker(s) with the "network" that they're a part of. What stickers/logos are on that ATM? Even if there's more than one logo, perhaps it can be narrowed down.
At the very least, google, and see if you can figure out the network.
If it's at a chain store, see if you can google to see what network they use.

I have access to a no-fee ATM, but would like to be able to branch outside of that one gas station.

sosamo May 2, 14 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppins (Post 22799371)
This is an excellent data point. Most ATMs have a sticker(s) with the "network" that they're a part of. What stickers/logos are on that ATM? Even if there's more than one logo, perhaps it can be narrowed down.
At the very least, google, and see if you can figure out the network.
If it's at a chain store, see if you can google to see what network they use.

I have access to a no-fee ATM, but would like to be able to branch outside of that one gas station.

Exactly. This would definitely worth a try. Credit unions here in So Cal charge about 2-3$. One Walmart charge $1.75. Northgate Supermarket charge 1.75, but $200 limit.

So for now, I go to Costco for $1.25.

spenny May 2, 14 2:23 pm

Do you have to close your BB card? I had to close my Serve card to setup my BB card the last time I was looking into MS.

sosamo May 2, 14 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by spenny (Post 22799561)
Do you have to close your BB card? I had to close my Serve card to setup my BB card the last time I was looking into MS.

To get AFT? No, it totally separate.

I recommend to only go with AFT if you dried out the BB or Serve options. AFT cost more, and a pain the a..

Tuppins May 2, 14 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo (Post 22799633)
To get AFT? No, it totally separate.

I recommend to only go with AFT if you dried out the BB or Serve options. AFT cost more, and a pain the a..

AFT costs $4.50 per $500 MS'd, if you have access to a no fee ATM.
OV is $4.95 per $500.
I do not disagree that it's a bigger pain though.

sosamo May 2, 14 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppins (Post 22799660)
OV is $4.95 per $500.

From my calculation (not including the 1 free atm withdraw a month, $1.25 for ATM fee, because it is pretty hard to find a no fee ATM):

1k load, $3
1k withdraw ($3 + $3 + $1.50 (for the additional $200 to make it 1k) + $1.25 + $1.25 + .75 (for the additional $200 to make it 1k).

That's $13.75 per 1K MS.

1k for OV is 9.90.

Here is the PIA reasons:
1. withdrawing a wad of cash from the ATM.
2. depositing a wad of cash to a bank account.
3. with the ATM fees, etc, you will always have change or odd numbers in your account. Like 1394.25 or like 275.25, etc. There will always be some amount of money in the account that is not being used for paying bills etc.

Tuppins May 2, 14 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo (Post 22799716)
From my calculation (not including the 1 free atm withdraw a month):

1k load, $3
1k withdraw ($3 + $3 + $1.50 (for the additional $200 to make it 1k) + $1.25 + $1.25 + .75 (for the additional $200 to make it 1k).

That's $13.75 per 1K MS.

1k for OV is 9.90.

Here is the PIA reasons:
1. withdrawing a wad of cash from the ATM.
2. depositing a wad of cash to a bank account.
3. with the ATM fees, etc, you will always have change or odd numbers in your account. Like 1394.25 or like 275.25, etc. There will always be some amount of money in the account that is not being used for paying bills etc.

-You absolutely need to include the 1 free ATM w/d per month in your calc. Otherwise, it's incorrect.
-I never w/d less than $400 at the ATM, and if that means there's a little left in the account until next month, no big deal. I can float a couple hundred for 30 days.

And I totally agree with the PIA reasons. I was disagreeing with the costs.

sosamo May 2, 14 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppins (Post 22799735)
-You absolutely need to include the 1 free ATM w/d per month in your calc. Otherwise, it's incorrect.
-I never w/d less than $400 at the ATM, and if that means there's a little left in the account until next month, no big deal. I can float a couple hundred for 30 days.

And I totally agree with the PIA reasons. I was disagreeing with the costs.

Agreed. AFT is an extra 10k of MS for me a month. I'll estimate it at 9k (I didn't put 9500 because if I load, I am going to load 1k because of the $3 fee) a month because of the leftover money in the card because you can't really Zero them out.

TheDapperDon May 2, 14 3:10 pm

I have access to a fee free atm.

$3 to load 1K. I can drain for free over two months. I can swipe for purchases in month #1 if I want to. I make a profit on the loads based on the card/cards that I use.

Sometimes I deposit the cash. Sometimes, I keep it in a safe. Low cost vehicle for MS. Low stress also.

spenny May 2, 14 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppins (Post 22799660)
OV is $4.95 per $500.

I thought OV wasn't viable anymore because of all the changes with CVS? I was just looking around again.....I have to spend $2500 for a Hilton card.