FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

sethjvm May 8, 14 8:18 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 22830744)
I was successful unloading 5 $200 cards (I went to customer service, and the employee was very chill with it).

I told her what I wanted to do ("get rid of these gift cards") and after each swipe the pin pad screen asked me whether I wanted to take the whole amount from the card. The employee told me to select "no" and she then authorized $200 per card from her computer.

If I had said "yes" to that question, would the system have known to deduct $200 and prompt me to enter an additional payment method? In other words, could I have simplified (and speeded up) the process?

My experience is that I just start swiping and the register drains the card and then I need to do the next card. I have not had to tell the cashier that I need to do a split payment.

littlemookie May 8, 14 11:34 am

Originally Posted by sethjvm (Post 22830953)
My experience is that I just start swiping and the register drains the card and then I need to do the next card. I have not had to tell the cashier that I need to do a split payment.

This happens to me all the time, since I use Amex GC to load AFT. The 3k card works fine for the first 2 loads, but leaves me $9 short on the final load. I've never had an issue.

Data point: I got an email today that a permanent refund has been made to my cards for the fraudulent charges that were made (likely card info stolen from Target breach). I checked and the funds were loaded to my card. It took about a month from the time I called to dispute the charges, to receiving the credit on my account.

And this is why you never spend money that you can't afford to be tied up for months at a time :)

iahphx May 9, 14 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by sethjvm (Post 22830953)

So you didn't get "the question" on the pin pad screen? Are there different Target payment systems in different stores -- or did my clerk push a button that generated the question?

elfrozo May 9, 14 1:42 pm

Does anyone know of surcharge free or low fee ATMs in the Chicago area?

skibum3d May 9, 14 2:07 pm

For anyone in the Salt Lake City area -- I was just at the downtown Target location about an hour ago, and they had over 100 cards available spread between all of the registers (above the candy racks.)

lmagnott May 9, 14 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 22838346)
So you didn't get "the question" on the pin pad screen? Are there different Target payment systems in different stores -- or did my clerk push a button that generated the question?

No, that question always pops up. Just ignore it - the system will always prompt you for another payment after it drains each gift card. There's no need to specify verbally or on the keypad that you want to do a split payment.

Electroman May 9, 14 3:35 pm

For anybody in Wisconsin (yes, AFT is available in WI, although only at the Target in Pleasant Prairie, since it is technically in the Chicago area) the ideal place to unload these is at Woodman's, the Wisconsin-based grocery chain. Although they only take cash or debit, the three I've been to all have a *fee-free* ATM inside. Ka-ching!

sosamo May 9, 14 3:38 pm

Anybody in the San Gabriel Valley, CA knows of any Fee Free ATM?

anthracite May 9, 14 10:23 pm

Any of these found around the City of Brotherly Love? Any luck by the monument?

MDJennings May 10, 14 11:13 am

Originally Posted by MDJennings (Post 22817169)
Is this smart register stuff still working? Today I tried to load 600 onto a card using three Vanilla MC gift cards (200 each). I swiped the first one, the cashier asked for the last 4 digits (I gave it and they punched it in), then it said the register said the transaction didn't go through. I decided to pay the $603 with a normal credit card as to not cause a scene.

Is there something special I need to do on the keypad when swiping it (and selecting to run it as Credit)?

Here's an update:

Tried it again today and ran into the same issue while trying to load $600 using three Vanilla MC gift cards. It kept declining the charge since it appeared it was trying to take the full $603 from a $200 card. The cashier was especially nice so I handed over the gift card. She looked at it, said it could be run as credit, and also said "I don't know why this isn't working. Since it's a gift card that is credit, it should just take the whole $200 and then ask for another one."

In the end, she had to manually split tender into three different $200 charges (one for each card). Anyone else experience this?

newuser0 May 10, 14 3:01 pm

Newbie for Amex Target here

Hello guys,

I just now got my Amex for Target Card. It was really a hard time, as my nearest Target store is 100 Miles away. I went to city to meet a friend, and along by got this card.

The used my DL Scan and my DL has my OLD house address. But my Credit Reports, Amex CC Address and all has NEW HOME ADDRESS.

Just now I have logged in and it said, we are still verifying your identity.
Do you guys think my Identity verification will FAIL? or should I call Amex and update my NEW ADDRESS before they verify or can I change this after I get the card?

zeppoloveskafka May 10, 14 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by anthracite (Post 22840863)
Any of these found around the City of Brotherly Love? Any luck by the monument?

I got mine in the store at Cheltenham (NW section), but that was a couple years ago. I'll probably be there this week if you want me to check.

Tuppins May 11, 14 4:46 pm

I'm looking for some data points from others who use this card:
1. How do you use these cards? Simply load/unload? Or do you make a few small purchases as well?
2. For those who only load/unload - any peep out of Amex?
3. Have you ever loaded/unloaded in the same day? Results?

Thanks. Trying to get an idea of acceptable usage for this card.

kjgco May 11, 14 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppins (Post 22848097)
I'm looking for some data points from others who use this card:
1. How do you use these cards? Simply load/unload? Or do you make a few small purchases as well?
2. For those who only load/unload - any peep out of Amex?
3. Have you ever loaded/unloaded in the same day? Results?

Thanks. Trying to get an idea of acceptable usage for this card.

1. Load/unload exclusively.
2. Not a word ever.
3. On occasion. No issues.

VizeL May 11, 14 6:12 pm

I need to do better reading in the future :)
-delete-