FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

gloreglabert May 5, 14 10:08 am


Originally Posted by digital330 (Post 22812229)
I also have a Amex for TGT fraud on 1 of the 4 cards in house. Had them reissue all 4 of them. And was asked to fax in the "dispute" form for each of fraud transactions. Card was never lost or used at any store except ATM.

They have absolutely no fraud detection! And no fraud team!!

I also got hit by fraud on one of my cards, thieves charged about $1k and drained it. This was about two weeks ago.

jptravels4fun May 5, 14 11:07 am

It is always hit and miss with all this MS stuff but they were there in plenty yesterday..

psone May 5, 14 4:41 pm


Originally Posted by healthnut (Post 22804910)
I think he's talking about taking them out of the store and shipping them. Not registering them. Then the recipient can take them to their target and do that by scanning them as all registers are prepared for the process.

Yeah. Not activating them. I guess it depends on the store. I know some folks there and they have had the same cards so long that they still have the 2012 fee free coupon on them. She said as long as someone will use them somewhere they don't mind.
But YMMV on what your store thinks about taking the cards inactivated. I just wanted to help folks out who don't have access to these.

HiYoSilver May 5, 14 8:29 pm


Originally Posted by gloreglabert (Post 22812916)
I also got hit by fraud on one of my cards, thieves charged about $1k and drained it. This was about two weeks ago.

Do you think these frauds have anything to do with the Target data breach last winter, or the Heartbleed virus?

I guess Lifelock, ProtectMyID (Experian's free service for Target customers) or other credit monitoring/protection services would not be much help much with "realoadable prepaid" cards...

iahphx May 5, 14 8:49 pm

My wife and I have been doing Amex Target for about a year now, not hitting our 10K/month too often, but doing several thousand a month to meet credit card minimum spends. We've always done $1000 loads with one credit card -- quite easy. But now it's become quite advantageous if you have an Ink card to accumulate those $200 gift cards at Staples (what's less easy is getting rid of them). I've never gotten rid of gift cards at Target, but the wiki suggests it's pretty easy. Do I have to tell the cashier I'm going to be doing a split payment -- or just start swiping the gift cards? She will need the last 4 digits from each card, right? And I'm assuming I'll have to enter a pin somehow.

I'm sure there's some guidance on this somewhere in this huge thread, but a refresher would be helpful. Thanks!

DWinger May 5, 14 9:31 pm


Originally Posted by HiYoSilver (Post 22816161)
Do you think these frauds have anything to do with the Target data breach last winter, or the Heartbleed virus?
...

I think it is definitely related to the Target data breach. Check out the fat wallet post. Someone stated the cards they had loaded during the breach were the ones compromised. Same with the card I had used during that time. Also, the fraudulant charges were made at the same locations. Fortunately I only had a few hundred dollars on my card but still waiting for the funds to be restored.

I just received my replacement card and I think I will give it another shot - but will keep the balance low for awhile.

jasonvr May 5, 14 9:54 pm

Glad mine have been empty for months. Haven't had much use for them recently.

incendia May 5, 14 10:03 pm


Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 22816244)
My wife and I have been doing Amex Target for about a year now, not hitting our 10K/month too often, but doing several thousand a month to meet credit card minimum spends. We've always done $1000 loads with one credit card -- quite easy. But now it's become quite advantageous if you have an Ink card to accumulate those $200 gift cards at Staples (what's less easy is getting rid of them). I've never gotten rid of gift cards at Target, but the wiki suggests it's pretty easy. Do I have to tell the cashier I'm going to be doing a split payment -- or just start swiping the gift cards? She will need the last 4 digits from each card, right? And I'm assuming I'll have to enter a pin somehow.

I'm sure there's some guidance on this somewhere in this huge thread, but a refresher would be helpful. Thanks!

You don't need pin's just swipe and give the last 4digits

Be careful some clerks don't like it when you use cards without names on them

MDJennings May 6, 14 1:12 am


Originally Posted by Superorb (Post 20764298)
Yes, the Target system is smart enough to drain the GC and then prompt for the remaining balance. I've done this with a handful of MC GCs without issue. Sometimes they ask for the last 4 digits from the card though.

Is this smart register stuff still working? Today I tried to load 600 onto a card using three Vanilla MC gift cards (200 each). I swiped the first one, the cashier asked for the last 4 digits (I gave it and they punched it in), then it said the register said the transaction didn't go through. I decided to pay the $603 with a normal credit card as to not cause a scene.

Is there something special I need to do on the keypad when swiping it (and selecting to run it as Credit)?

iahphx May 6, 14 3:23 pm


Originally Posted by MDJennings (Post 22817169)
Is this smart register stuff still working? Today I tried to load 600 onto a card using three Vanilla MC gift cards (200 each). I swiped the first one, the cashier asked for the last 4 digits (I gave it and they punched it in), then it said the register said the transaction didn't go through. I decided to pay the $603 with a normal credit card as to not cause a scene.

Is there something special I need to do on the keypad when swiping it (and selecting to run it as Credit)?

Hmmm. Interesting -- and not in a good way.

I was planning on stopping by my Target tomorrow with 5 $200 gift cards. I'm wondering if the load will go smoothly. I was planning on loading $997, so they could take the fee out of the last card.

Any other recent experience loading with gift cards?

jiffyjiff May 6, 14 3:32 pm


Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 22820710)
Hmmm. Interesting -- and not in a good way.

I was planning on stopping by my Target tomorrow with 5 $200 gift cards. I'm wondering if the load will go smoothly. I was planning on loading $997, so they could take the fee out of the last card.

Any other recent experience loading with gift cards?

Data point - I loaded with several GC's this past weekend, in NJ, without issue.

PHLisa May 6, 14 9:18 pm

Over the weekend, I tried to pick up a few of these. We found 1 on top of a drink machine near the checkout, but no others nor any obvious spot where they should be hanging. So my BF went to customer service to see if they had any more in stock. The CSR said something like, "We shouldn't even be selling these with all of the issues" and tossed it into the bin behind her! I wondered what she meant and now I'm reading about the recent fraud issues some have experienced, I guess that was it.

So it seems my nearest Target is not and will not be selling these anymore.

cancerisking May 8, 14 8:33 am

I just pick up one of these cards yesterday. I was looking at the T&C and it states a maximum of $200 per week withdraw from ATM, but the wiki says differently. Anyone know which is true?

iahphx May 8, 14 8:48 am


Originally Posted by jiffyjiff (Post 22820772)
Data point - I loaded with several GC's this past weekend, in NJ, without issue.

I was successful unloading 5 $200 cards (I went to customer service, and the employee was very chill with it).

I told her what I wanted to do ("get rid of these gift cards") and after each swipe the pin pad screen asked me whether I wanted to take the whole amount from the card. The employee told me to select "no" and she then authorized $200 per card from her computer.

If I had said "yes" to that question, would the system have known to deduct $200 and prompt me to enter an additional payment method? In other words, could I have simplified (and speeded up) the process?

Tuppins May 8, 14 9:03 am


Originally Posted by cancerisking (Post 22830639)
I just pick up one of these cards yesterday. I was looking at the T&C and it states a maximum of $200 per week withdraw from ATM, but the wiki says differently. Anyone know which is true?

Which do you think is right? The wiki made by a very interested and active community, or the T&C written once a long time ago by some corporate drone? ;)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:44 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.