FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

Tuppins May 13, 14 11:29 am

Originally Posted by italdesign (Post 22857594)
Can anyone recommend a surcharge-free ATM other than Star One/Co-op? I'm not having much luck with those around here, which are either restricted access or not open during normal hours.

These are often very location specific. Whereabouts are you?

littlemookie May 13, 14 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppins (Post 22856343)
There may be an issue with "total card balances" at the time of the attempted laod as well as "amount loaded in the past 28 days" since there are rules pertaining to both. Hard to say, but maybe experiment with that...

This is correct.

You need to have both conditions met:

1. Each card balance cannot exceed $2,500 immediately after the load.

2. The total amount you can load to all your cards over a 28 day period is $5,000.

Amex seems happy to take the $3 load fee and $3 ATM fee and let you load and unload the card without mixing in purchases. I would set up a schedule to unload the cards, and unload both cards at once, so you can avoid getting denied for having too large of a balance on any one card.

Tuppins May 13, 14 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by littlemookie (Post 22858695)
This is correct.

You need to have both conditions met:

1. Each card balance cannot exceed $2,500 immediately after the load.
2. The total amount you can load to all your cards over a 28 day period is $5,000.

Amex seems happy to take the $3 load fee and $3 ATM fee and let you load and unload the card without mixing in purchases. I would set up a schedule to unload the cards, and unload both cards at once, so you can avoid getting denied for having too large of a balance on any one card.

The wiki seems to indicate that the balance cannot exceed $2,500 immediately before the load:

System will allow a $1000 load on a card with a $2000 balance so long as you are under $5000 for all cards over 28 day period.
I'm only in my second month with these cards, so I haven't tried the 2000/3000 loads yet, but I will on Friday...

italdesign May 13, 14 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppins (Post 22857614)
These are often very location specific. Whereabouts are you?

Indianapolis.

Interestingly, the Co-Op ATM today (albeit I had to sign into the building as a guest, and it closes early) did NOT show the Amex graphic, but worked nonetheless. Whereas the Charles Schwab ATM, also not showing Amex graphic, didn't work.

Tuppins May 13, 14 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign (Post 22858798)
Indianapolis.

Interestingly, the Co-Op ATM today (albeit I had to sign into the building as a guest, and it closes early) did NOT show the Amex graphic, but worked nonetheless. Whereas the Charles Schwab ATM, also not showing Amex graphic, didn't work.

When you say "work" and "didn't work," do you mean that you were able/unable to withdraw money with your card? Or that there was no ATM fee charged?

healthnut May 13, 14 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign (Post 22858798)
Indianapolis.

I have not yet found fee-free ATM in Indy. I just use Costco.

Yaoyao May 13, 14 4:01 pm

Anyone found a fee-free ATM in Houston? I've been using Costco.

italdesign May 13, 14 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppins (Post 22858839)
When you say "work" and "didn't work," do you mean that you were able/unable to withdraw money with your card? Or that there was no ATM fee charged?

The former: Work = I was able to withdraw funds. Didn't work = I wasn't able to withdraw funds.

italdesign May 13, 14 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by healthnut (Post 22859026)
I have not yet found fee-free ATM in Indy. I just use Costco.

Hi neighbor!

Do you need a Costco membership to use the ATM?

healthnut May 13, 14 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign (Post 22859495)
Hi neighbor!

I would think it's a hassle to go into Costco and not do your shopping, but there is no strict requirements as far as showing your Costco card to use it. You have to go through the "exit", where I am never stopped to see my card.

littlemookie May 14, 14 6:04 am

Others can chime in, but I've been declined due to the reload causing the card balance to be over $2,500. I was loading $1,000 on a card that already had a balance on $1,700 or so. My second card was loaded right after the first card was declined and went through fine since I was under the $2,500 max on the second card, even after the reload.

Tuppins May 14, 14 6:44 am

Data point: ATM withdrawals appear to be per CALENDAR day not rolling 24 hour period. I withdrew yesterday around lunch and again this morning.

incendia May 14, 14 7:21 am

Originally Posted by italdesign (Post 22859495)
Hi neighbor!

They should let you in the front door if you have a Costco gift card

incendia May 14, 14 7:22 am

Originally Posted by italdesign (Post 22859483)
The former: Work = I was able to withdraw funds. Didn't work = I wasn't able to withdraw funds.

Was it on the same day?

italdesign May 14, 14 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by incendia (Post 22862375)
Was it on the same day?

No, and I tried the one that didn't work first.