FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

Electroman May 20, 14 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Tuppins (Post 22894310)
I don't think you can. The PIN, to my knowledge, is *only* for ATM withdrawals (i.e., it's not really a Debit card). If you find differently, PM me. ^

I'm pretty sure that's correct. I just do my ATM withdrawal (at a truly fee-free ATM) and drive or walk the quarter-mile to my local WM. All options are on the table there for dead presidents.

Toboggan May 20, 14 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Electroman (Post 22890426)
With the help of some relatively good CSRs, my AFT is now active. I'm pretty sure that the problem was the password, although nobody really knows. I think the 404 error was the absence of the page that should have told me about the error.

Anyway, I've got it and it works now - thanks!

Glad you got it to work.

Wish I could find a fee free ATM in Chicago. Best I could find was 1.50

GeorgeMilesArnold May 20, 14 1:59 pm

I am willing to try and see if this works for MO purchases once my card comes in the mail. I don't see why it wouldn't work since you can get a PIN.

raenye May 20, 14 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by GeorgeMilesArnold (Post 22896107)
I am willing to try and see if this works for MO purchases once my card comes in the mail. I don't see why it wouldn't work since you can get a PIN.

It's not a debit card, it's a prepaid credit card. Same status as BB and Serve.

Electroman May 20, 14 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Toboggan (Post 22894901)
Glad you got it to work.

Wish I could find a fee free ATM in Chicago. Best I could find was 1.50

Yes, they're not easy to find. I use one at Woodman's, a Wisconsin-based grocery store chain. There's a few of them in Chicagoland, but Carpentersville is probably the closest to Chicago itself.

adamant628 May 22, 14 10:46 pm

I bought my first target Amex on 5/20, loaded $500 at time of purchase. I went back on 5/22 to buy a 2nd card and to load $1000 on the first. I loaded the new card with $500 successfully, but the system limited me to $500 on the reload for the first card (2nd load). Is this because I still have temp cards? That didn't seem to be a problem in the guide. The cashier scanned the card with a laser, should I be swiping the card myself, would that matter?

Tuppins May 23, 14 6:27 am

Originally Posted by adamant628 (Post 22910832)
I bought my first target Amex on 5/20, loaded $500 at time of purchase. I went back on 5/22 to buy a 2nd card and to load $1000 on the first. I loaded the new card with $500 successfully, but the system limited me to $500 on the reload for the first card (2nd load). Is this because I still have temp cards? That didn't seem to be a problem in the guide. The cashier scanned the card with a laser, should I be swiping the card myself, would that matter?

The *cashier* needs to swipe the card, not scan it. He should only scan it at the time of purchase.

mleyd May 23, 14 6:34 am

In regards to fee free ATMs, PNC Bank has them. Check their website to see if they have a location near you. They are in most Wawa gas stations here in VA and there are a few local branches in SE VA.

Tuppins May 23, 14 7:41 am

Originally Posted by mleyd (Post 22911979)
In regards to fee free ATMs, PNC Bank has them. Check their website to see if they have a location near you. They are in most Wawa gas stations here in VA and there are a few local branches in SE VA.

I believe the only fee free PNC ATMs are the ones in Wawa. They have a special "arrangement."

cancerisking May 23, 14 8:25 am

When loading a GC does the system automatically deduct the $3 loading fee or do you have to factor that in when telling the CSR how much you are loading?

Tuppins May 23, 14 9:08 am

Originally Posted by cancerisking (Post 22912508)
When loading a GC does the system automatically deduct the $3 loading fee or do you have to factor that in when telling the CSR how much you are loading?

You load at the checkout. $3 to load. So if you want to load $1k, your total will come to $1003.
Cashier can do split tender.
Plan accordingly.

adamant628 May 23, 14 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Tuppins (Post 22911952)
The *cashier* needs to swipe the card, not scan it. He should only scan it at the time of purchase.

Thanks, that makes more sense. Glad i bailed. He had no clue (just kept pressing buttons hoping something would appear (before he even scanned it)). Next time I will be more authoritative.

FredFnord May 23, 14 11:31 am

Originally Posted by littlemookie (Post 22862056)
Others can chime in, but I've been declined due to the reload causing the card balance to be over $2,500. I was loading $1,000 on a card that already had a balance on $1,700 or so. My second card was loaded right after the first card was declined and went through fine since I was under the $2,500 max on the second card, even after the reload.

FYI, I ran into this too. Puts a bit of a damper on my plans. (As far as I know there are no free ATMs in San Francisco, so I planned to use these for something else. But that requires more than $2500 on a card, so... no deal.)

barrytuneup May 24, 14 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by psone (Post 22804243)
If someone needs a card, PM me and for a few bucks I'll grab you one or two and mail them. Our stores have loads of them.

Just received mine in 3 days!! Thanks a million!!

RyanNYNJ May 24, 14 5:07 pm

Wawa also in nj. As is quickchek.